Options

June 6th Yosemite Trip

Anyone else going on June 6th departure. Just got notified 3/23/22 that we would not be staying at the Majestic/ Ahwanee Hotel as stated . We will now be staying outside Yosemite at property that is 40-60 min from central part of park.
After repeat calls to Tauck we are stuck with this situation. The $200/person credit does not come close to the loss of experience of staying at the Ahwanee! Anyone else upset about this?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022

Sometimes unforeseen issues arise whereby Tauck must make an adjustment to an itinerary. They are quite transparent about this on both their website and in their brochures. You are not "stuck" with the situation. You can postpone your trip or cancel outright.

• Options
    edited March 2022

LizzyH: Which hotel are they using?

It was always the Ahwahnee. The ‘Majestic’ was a legal issue, but no one used that name. It is now legally the ‘Ahwahnee’ once again. We go there for a drink one day each time we visit our favorite the ‘Evergreen Lodge’. We have thought about staying at the Ahwahnee, but always end up out at the Evergreen. The clientele at the Ahwahnee can be a bit ‘tense’ and demanding. The staff has always been very nice.

Mikey

Ahwahnee

Evergreen Lodge Cabin

• Options

Staying at Rush Creek Lodge (outside park) instead of Ahwanee is a totally different experience. Tauck only notified us about 75 days before departure about this change. We could cancel but have non-refundable plane tickets and other plans in place surrounding this trip. I still do not understand how Tauck could not secure these rooms. Offering $200 compensation does not come close to making up for this loss of experience of staying at the historic property inside the park!

• Options

Maybe some organization has booked the entire hotel or something like that. I guess the other downside is you will likely have to leave the other hotel extra early in the morning to get to Yosemite. Hey, but maybe the food and service will be better at the alternative hotel. Right now, I’d be happy to stay there if it meant I could have another vacation. We lost the money for a non refundable flight when we cancelled a tour, yes it’s a bummer.

• Options
    edited March 2022

According to the Ahwahnee's website, the hotel will be closed for seismic retrofitting. Clearly this is something outside of Tauck's control.

• Options
    edited March 2022

Ok. Now I know where you are going … and we are I’m sure among the few here who have been to the ‘Rush Creek Inn’. Rush Creek is the Evergreen Lodge’s other property. It is much newer but built rustic. They tried to capture the Evergreen Lodge’s ambiance. They have a variety of rooms and suites so I don’t know what Tauck will book. I think the average room size is around 400 square feet. You were not likely to find that at the Ahwahnee. They have lots of ‘toys’, a big pool, two hot tubs, indoor and outdoor dining. The rooms are nice, but don’t expect a television. Neither the lodge nor the inn have TV’s in the rooms, but they have them in the bar and elsewhere. They have ‘country’ dining, so don’t expect a Fairmount menu. Nice people. We were up there for a drink one afternoon when we were staying at Evergreen Lodge, and there was a flash flood. They just offered us a free room to use if we did not want to risk the drive back to the lodge. The following pics were taken when we stayed there for my birthday.

Hetch Hetchy

• Options

Hi, I hope I do this right: my first time posting. I am on the Muir trip starting June 4th. I was concerned after seeing you are not staying at the Ahwahnee. I have checked with the hotel and they said they are open then. I had my travel agent verify with Tauck, who assured him that everything is just as scheduled. No alternate lodging or $200 credit. Since we will be there on Day 5, which is 2 days before your arrival, this seems really strange.
    Hope this helps. Have you heard anything further?

• Options

Oops, my comment to the top posting got added to the bottom of the last post in this thread. Sorry, I'm new at this. Hopefully you will scroll to bottom to read my comment. Thanks

• Options

Laura
    2:44PM
    Oops, my comment to the top posting got added to the bottom of the last post in this thread. Sorry, I'm new at this. Hopefully you will scroll to bottom to read my comment. Thanks

Laura, unfortunately comments are always inline on this forum. It doesn't do a "quote" either. To ensure people know which post you are referring to in a big thread, if you want, you can copy the post or just header, paste it into your post and add 'greater than' symbols to highlight the reference post.

e.g.

• Options

June 6th Yosemite Trip
    LizzyHLizzyH
    March 25 in Yosemite and Sequoia: John Muir's California
    Anyone else going on June 6th departure. Just got notified 3/23/22 that we would not be staying at the Majestic/ Ahwanee Hotel as stated . We will now be staying outside Yosemite at property that is 40-60 min from central part of park.
    After repeat calls to Tauck we are stuck with this situation. The $200/person credit does not come close to the loss of experience of staying at the Ahwanee! Anyone else upset about this?

Thank you, Alan. I hope Lizzy can read the post now. Note It still appears at the bottom.

• Options

June 6th Yosemite Trip
    LizzyHLizzyH
    March 25 in Yosemite and Sequoia: John Muir's California

Thank you, Alan. I hope Lizzy can read the post now. Note It still appears at the bottom.

Now you just need to go into edit and add the 'greater than' symbols to highlight the quoted text. To edit your post, click on the little gear symbol at the upper right. And don't forget, except when editing something you've already posted, there is a 'Preview' mode so you can see if it looks right before you post.

Yes, a new post, even a reply, will always appear a the bottom of a thread. Some other forums, bulletin boards, etc. allow you to choose how you see a thread- in-line or threaded. In spite of the limitations, the current software is much better that the previous version, especially wrt the ability to post photos! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file