Options

Bletchley Park

We are booked for Sept. 13, 2022. Has anyone visited Bletchley Park? If so, can you recommend a tour guide who would pick us up at hotel?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022

I found this website about how you could get there. It is about 55 miles by road, so I guess it will not be a cheap excursion.
    https://www.rome2rio.com/map/London/Milton-Keynes.
    It looks like an interesting place to visit. I would recommend a vacation to London for one or two weeks and you could do this trip too. So much to see in London itself.it could take you weeks just to see things in London without repeating. This tour could take an entire day.
    I’m sure you could find a Viator trip.

Here you are!

https://www.viator.com/tours/London/Private-tours-to-Bletchley-Park-and-Woburn-Abbey/d737-59254P25

• Options
    edited March 2022

Bletchley Park was famous now as the WW 2 site for code/cipher breaking (cryptanalysis) in the UK. I am sure that it would be a fascinating trip. I suggest that "silviam" look on the internet for more information about possible tours there.

• Options

Another good book is The Rose Code about the woman code breakers at Bletchy, and a good read too. It’s historical fiction.

• Options

And "The Imitation Game" -- a movie about Alan Turing. I've been to London many times, but never thought about going to Bletchley Park. I'll put it on my list for my next trip there.

• Options

For anyone interested in Bletchley park, closer to home is the NSA's National Cryptologic Museum. I was there about 20 years ago and it's a fascinating place. For one thing, they have an Enigma machine on display. It's located at the NSA exit off the Balto-Wash Pkwy.

Note - I just checked their web site and they're currently closed for renovations, but put it on your list.

• Options

Since Bletchley Park is a distance away from London (?55 miles?), it might be too far away to visit it on Tauck's Seine/Paris/London tour, but if one has longer time to spend in the UK, it would definitely be worthwhile visiting there or even the NSA's NCM here in the US if one is in the Maryland/DC area.

• Options

We visited Bletchley Park several years ago and it was fascinating. It was a self guided tour and we may have spent two hours there. It was a nice addition after seeing The Imitation Game, the movie about Alan Turing and his team's work to crack the Enigma Machine.

• Options

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

• Options

silviam,

I'll be taking this tour next spring, so please post a review after your trip if you can. Safe and fun travels!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file