Italia Bella: Rome to Venice - JUNE 3-10, 2022

Hi!
Anyone else going to this tour, i'll be accompanied by my 10yr old/16yrold/52yr old :-)
Excited!
Melanie

Comments

• Backpacks/Water bottle received for the kids!

• Anyone been to the Capuchin Crypt? Thinking of doing this during a free morning or afternoon in Rome.

• Yes. But we were staying across the street. I don’t think I would make a special trip for it.

• We went. I don’t think I would go again.

• I agree with those above who say the Capuchin Crypt is not worth a special trip. However, if you like art there are a number of things to see in that area. The Palazzo Barberini Museum is nearby. A short walk toward the Piazza della Repubblica will get you to a number of interesting sights. The Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria has Bernini's excellent sculpture of the Ecstasy of St Teresa. Also the Baths of Dioclesian and the attached Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri - a part of the baths that was converted to a church with interiors designed by Michaelangelo. Also the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, a museum of Roman art with a small but high quality collection. I realize that with two young people along these may not be the best choices.

• oh wow, thank you so much for the helpful feedback!!!

Any other suggestions or sites to see during a free morning or afternoon with the teen/middle schooler? Maybe any fun shopping?? Vintage markets??

• edited May 2022

Your hotel is a short walk from the Spanish Steps. From there you can walk down the Via dei Condotti (Rome's luxury shopping street) and then up Via del Corsa to the Piazza del Popolo. Along the Via del Corsa there are many stores aimed at the youth market, although many of them are brands found in America (Levis, H&M, North Face, etc.). You could walk back through the Borghese Park. If you weren't with the kids, I'd suggest a visit to the Borghese Gallery in the park. It's one of Italy's best smaller art museums, but they probably wouldn't appreciate it. If you do decide to go, be sure make advance reservations.

Sorry, I don't know of any vintage markets.

As an alternative, Rick Steves has "Heart of Rome Walk" audio tour that takes you from the Spanish Steps to the Campo di Fiori (there's a flower and food market there if you go early in the day). You can listen to it on his app or download MP3 version. Both are free. More info and the map can be found here:

https://ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

• If anyone has the time you might want to take a tour of the colosseum underground. Tauck doesn’t really do the underground and it is really interesting.

• We signed up with viator for a tour that starts 10:45 the morning when we are meeting the group at 2:00. We know viator is a middle man but we were happy to get anything as they fill up so fast.

• edited May 2022

Jowell what tour is that that starts at 1045?

I'm checking now on Viator, perhaps a Food Tour would be fun!

• We are doing, and highly recommend seeing, the coliseum underground. It is also with arena, Roman forum and palatine hill.

• We have done the coliseum underground with our other grandchildren and it really adds a lot to the coliseum trip. Our oldest grandchild (now 22) says it was a highlight of his trip.

• We had a lot of trouble getting onto a tour as they were all sold out. Platinum American Express got on it and found the tour for us. It’s not cheap but our travel agent was going to set up a private tour with someone she uses and that was over 1000 euros!

• Melanie jordana is there anything about the trip you can share with the forum.
    It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Sorry I see you haven’t gone yet- lol.
    Please share with the forum when you are back (or even during).
    Thank you and have a safe and wonderful time.

• Hi, we are doing the June 10th tour and will share experiences as we travel along.

• Sandman. You are the best.
    Thank you. Can’t wait and hope your trip is GREAT.
    Stay safe and well.

• It's hot in Italy and bring those comfy shoes so you don't trip on the cobblestones and steep stairs/uneven surfaces!

• MelanieJordana thank you for your feedback.
    Hope you are enjoying, stay safe, take tons of pictures and keep smiling

• Anyone have any feedback to share?

• Sandman, is your director Joseph?

• Hi MelanieJordana.
    Anything you can share about the tour?
    Thank you.

• The trip started today and Joseph is our TD. He is an energetic young guy that seems to relate well to the kids on tour. Today was just the coliseum and welcome cocktails and dinner at the hotel. The Splendide Royal is a very good hotel with the only downside is it is a little out of the way to walk to anything. Rooms clean with night turndown and good food. A good start to the tour.

• Thank you sandman. Is it as hot as we’ve been hearing?

• Sandman, Tell Joseph ciao ciao ciao! He just finished our tour. Have a great 8 days, it goes SO quick!!

• Sent your regards to Joseph and he said you were a great guest. Today was hot as we had to wait in line to get into St. Peter's Cathedral. We are doing the Sistine Chappel late this afternoon as there are no private nighttime tours being run.

• Thanks Sandman! I’m having post vacation depression, lol.
    Need to plan for next trip!!

• Dining on Rome day 1. We booked reservations for this free night, but could not keep them. We went to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chappel at 5:15 and there was a light meal at the museum after the tour. We didn't get back to the hotel until almost 9, so we never made our dinner reservation which turned out to be unnecessary.

• I found that “light meal” to be so delicious and filling. Complete with wine and desert. Go Tauck- 💕

• edited June 2022

Everyone should realize the schedules for the days in Rome can change with little or no notice- Tauck is at the mercy of the Vatican. When we did this tour several years ago we made a lot of extra plans, but not in Rome because Tauck and/or forum members warned us. We got to see everything on our itinerary, but not in the order initially published- all three days in Rome were totally different!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file