Options

Budapest and Munich recommendations

My family (husband, son age 13 years old & myself) are going on a Tauck Bridges Westbound Blue Danube tour beginning on June 29. We will have 2 nights in Budapest prior to the beginning of the Tauck tour. After we finish our tour, we will have 3 nights in Munich.

Does anyone have suggestions of what to do/where to eat in Budapest? We will be staying at the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus. For our 3 nights in Munich, we will be staying at the Le Meridien Munich. Any suggestions? Has anyone done a day tour out to the Eagle's Nest? I think there may be salt mines nearby that my 13 year old might find fun? And restaurant suggestions for Munich are also appreciated.

This trip has been cancelled & rescheduled I think 3 times now....I started to feel like it would just never happen. But it is happening and I'm behind where I usually am in planning ahead. Thank you for your help!!

Comments

• Options

I would recommend googling “what to do with kids/teens in Budapest. The internet will offer various ideas. There is the hop on/hop off bus for sightseeing where you can hop on or off whoever you like or one of the mineral baths or even the zoo. There is always the option of hiring a tour guide directed with interests your family might have. Send an e-mail to the concierge to ask for suggestions. There are cafes or restaurants where the hot chocolate is simply amazing.

• Options
    edited June 2022

I'm not sure of the age minimum but we did a wonderful Segway tour of Munich- on wide bike lanes and sidewalks, with only one section on the street through a traffic circle, but felt safe throughout. This was our first time on Segway, we have done several since then. We had a 20 +/- min training period- you learn how in about 5 min. or less, by 15 min you're a pro! :D

The guide, a Brit expat, was extremely knowledgeable and a very entertaining and funny guy. It is an easy way to see a lot of Munich without a lot of walking. We used Munich City Segway Tours several years ago, but there may be others now. We booked online a few months before.

That is me carrying a few extra pounds around my waist and a GoPro on my helmet- I got some great videos!

If hubby and son are car aficionados the BMW headquarters and museum are in Munich- they offer tours, (and an opportunity to drive your next purchase)

A 13 year old might not be ready for it, but you can take a somber, but eye-opening tour of nearby Dachau. For a full day trip, you can go south to Neuschwanstein castle.

• Options

I absolutely love Budapest and think it is prettier at night than Paris. We loved seeing “Spartacus” at the Opera House. Tickets are cheap, and, depending on what is in production, your son might enjoy it. We went to the Gellert Baths and had massages. It is a gorgeous spa. I took a cruise on The Danube where all the other passengers were middle school children on a field trip. I spoke to their teacher, and she introduced me to her best English speaking student with whom I am still in touch today. The Shoes on the Danube Bank are a memorial to he Holocaust and really should not be missed. I was not on a Tauck tour so some of these things might be included on your trip. On our last night we ate at the delicious Bagolyvar restaurant and asked the cab driver on our way back to our hotel to take us to see Heroes’ Square, the Chain Bridge and Parliament brilliantly illuminated. It was breathtaking to drive over the Chain Bridge at night. Have a great time!

• Options

Ladybombay, thank you so much for your comments and suggestions! I knew about the Shoes on the Danube, and there is a general tour with Tauck but not all the things you've mentioned are on that tour. Great idea about the Opera House as well. And to say Budapest is prettier at night than Paris is quite the comparison! I've been to Paris 7 or 8 times, and LOVE Paris, so that description makes me even more excited to see Budapest. Thank you!

• Options

JennyMiller, when I was on the Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise, the 1st day everyone was aboard and after dinner the captain took the ship out on a little night tour on the Danube to see all the wonderfully lit up buildings and the chain bridge.

• Options

RBM2, that sounds perfect! Hope that happens when we go! Less than 3 weeks till our trip. I'm getting excited!

• Options

Hi Jenny. So while this was awhile ago (2014) my hubby and I were at The Kempinski at the end of Tauck’s Danube River Cruise. We were tired from a day of touring and our TD recommended we have dinner in the hotel dining room. We had a fabulous aged steak dinner that would rival any great steak house in the states. Then for desert they had a dark chocolate ice cream sunday that was out of this world. We went with another couple and it was great-portions were large. Price was so reasonable too. Worth asking about. The hotel is very centrally located and I remember taking a walk at night and got great night shots of the area. If you’re interested in deli restaurants, you might ask the hotel what they recommend in the Jewish ghetto area. It’s been revitalized and I understand has some terrific places to eat. I have no idea if it’s close to the hotel. Have a great time. Budapest is lovely.

• Options

I had a very nice meal at Rezkakas Bistro in Budapest in 2014, and just checked the website (www. rezkakasbistro.hu) to confirm that it's still operating. It's white tablecloths, but my adult children and I went there mid-afternoon for a late lunch in very casual clothes.

• Options

franlovestravel, thank you! We were thinking we should eat at the hotel the first night. I like the idea of going to a deli as well.

Another question I've been meaning to ask: do we need to have Hungarian forint to pay for things (if we are not using a credit card)? I have cash in Euros, but my travel agent said it was necessary to have forint. Thank you!

• Options

We didn’t use them

• Options

You can always get local cash at an atm. Euros and a credit card should be golden. Ask at the hotel where you might need local forints.

• Options

I just came back from Budapest, and there is a currency exchange office right behind and next to the Kempsinki hotel. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and I walked next door when I assumed I needed Hungarian currency. I just exchanged 40.00 and just used it for small items, I didn’t even spend all of it since I don’t mind using my credit card as much as I can because I can keep track of my transactions that way and accrue points.

• Options
    edited June 2022

I’ve read in travel articles about not accepting Euros- not our experience. Also if a vendor didn’t accept plastic or Euros, he didn’ get our 💵- it was up to him. 😀