Options

Just returned from the June 4th departure......

We had a wonderful experience on this trip. The trip to Muir Woods was awe-inspiring and seeing that General Sherman tree in Sequoia National Park was very memorable. I read on this forum, and in the Tauck tour "reviews" before I left for my trip that there was some disappointment that the hotels and meals were not up to Tauck standards. I can tell you that we stayed at Wuksachi Lodge and at the Ahwahnee, and both were fine. The location of these hotels made the trip. The Ahwahnee, particularly, with the inspiring views of the granite cliffs all around Yosemite National Park was well worth not having the swank of the Fairmont (where we stayed on the last night in San Francisco), simply because we could walk out the back of the hotel right onto the trails. At Wuksachi, I got up at 5:30 a.m. (yes, on East Coast time!) and watched the sun break over the mountains all around me. I stood outside in a clearing to see the constellations shining bright because there was no light pollution. I felt peaceful and relaxed throughout this trip.

This was our first Tauck tour and we are going on the Classic Italy tour in July. Our tour director, Jenee, was fabulous, knowledgeable, and handled the 38 people on our tour with caring and ease. I went with my husband and my three children aged 21, 20 and 18. If you are considering this tour, yes, you will be a little out of your comfort zone, if you are used to super-deluxe hotels and posh restaurants. But seeing the wonders of these parks, and walking through a forest where there are trees 2000-3000 years old - you will be astounded. I have gone with other tour operators, and Tauck is definitely a step above. First of all, you can really relax and be sure that everything has been handled. From the moment we landed, and the chauffeur was waiting for us, as promised, to the ease of returning to the airport for our flight - nothing was a problem. If you go on this tour, I think you will feel the way my family did - awed, humbled, inspired and grateful to have seen these natural wonders with our own eyes. Don't let the little things like one boxed lunch on the tour take your focus off what you came to see - the parks and the massive trees, the wildlife, and most importantly - the precious, golden days spent with your loved ones. I hope you will have as good a time and come back with as many wonderful memories as I have had.

Comments

• Options

Amen and profoundly expressed. I live in the Muir Woods area.

• Options

OurTravels 34:
    You are so blessed to live near Muir Woods! I would have happily stayed for much longer among those towering trees. There is a profound silence in the park, the babbling water in the stream, the scenery...it was unbelievable. My entire family loved this trip. Can't say enough good things about how well we were treated, and the flow of the tour itself.

• Options

If you would like to explore more of the giant redwoods, look up Lady Bird Grove Trail (my favorite) near Eureka, Calif. on the way to Oregon. That is just one trail in the Redwood National Park. The trees and scenery are profoundly majestic. I don’t know any tour companies that travel to that neck of the woods. Happy trails.

• Options

I know a tour company that took me to that part of the world. USN. Two years in the Ferndale/Fortuna area.

• Options

The Navy? Why would the Navy be there or maybe I shouldn't ask.

• Options

Secret submarine base. ;)

• Options

@Claudia Sails - I looked up the Centerville Beach facility (now closed). That must have been nice duty.

A similar tour company gave me a free tour of SE Asia.

• Options

Viet Nam??? Are you two talking in secret code?

• Options

Ourtravels, if you look up NAVFAC Centerville Beach on Wikipedia you can read about it. It was a tiny naval facility located near Ferndale whose primary mission was tracking submarines. The facility was closed in the early 90s.

As to nice duty... Lovely location. Close to Medocino wineries and San Francisco visits. Nice place to vacation. Excellent career opportunities for female officers. But for a group of single females, not much of a social life. Local male population mostly sheep herders, lumberjacks and marijuana growers.

• Options

I'll look it up.

• Options
    edited June 2022

So sus was it fun? :D

• Options

Hi Cheryl, I was on your same tour. Thank you for posting what we would have said, too, only you did it so well! We agree with your input wholeheartedly. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file