Michigan Lakes & Mackinac Island

edited July 2022 in General

Taking this trip in Sept . Has anyone taken this trip ? Any tips or reviews ?

Comments

• Our friends, who have MANY Tauck tours under their belts, are on this tour right now. From the photos she is posting on facebook, it looks to be a fabulous adventure. They are doing things not readily available to the general public, such as an in-depth tour of the Ford Rouge plant. Their stay at the Grand, a horse drawn carriage ride, LOTS of beautiful flowers, some great wine tastings. It has put this tour on our radar for sure.

• I haven't take the tour but lived in the Upper Peninsula for a few years and Mackinac Island is one of my favorite memories. In you can find it, watch Christopher Reeves/Jane Seymour movie "Somewhere in Time" which was filmed at the Grand.

• Oh my, one of my all time favorites movies, box of Kleenex worthy!

• I will be on the small ship tour this fall and am looking forward to it. I believe the land tour guests spend two nights at the Grand Hotel. How very fortunate! We will have lunch there.

For dinner, the hotel has a strict dress code for adults and children over the age of twelve (12). There are absolutely no exceptions. Old world etiquette. Finally!

• We were on the July 9th tour and enjoyed it very much. Never knew that much about northern Michigan, but I must say it's a wonderful place to visit in the summer. Things we liked the best were the Chantel winery dinner, Mackinac Island, and the whole Dearborn/Ford experience. Warning, the "High Tea" at the Grand is $68.50 per person. Great TD and bus driver. Bring your dancing shoes for the Motown night. Enjoy!

• Kfn….old world etiquette is dying out, it’s just a fact. Same with Tauck’s older customers, they are dying out. Tauck is trying to attract younger customers. At one time, we were always the youngest on the tour, not any more.

• We did this tour last summer. Enjoyed it all. The dinner at the winery (after hours) was such fun. We had such a fine time at the Grand Hotel. Dinners were worth dressing up for. The hotel porch is a must. We enjoyed sitting and sipping a drink after a day of touring. The town was a bit "touristy", which was to be expected. After a few fudge shops and tshirt shops, we called the horse drawn taxi, with voucher provided by Tauck, and headed back to the hotel. Beautiful sailboat ride in a bay. So many fun places we visited. We also stayed an extra day in Dearborn at the Ford Hotel and enjoyed a day of rest. Some of our party went back to the Ford Museum. You will certainly enjoy this trip.