Options

Extra travel insurance

edited August 2022 in General

I hope this will be one of my helpful posts.

We decided to upgrade our insurance for our upcoming tour because it was originally purchased before July 2021 when Tauck upgraded their insurance coverage. So I called Tauck this morning to be sure I had the correct information to contact AON, who if your read the small print are the company that Tauck use. The Tauck agent sent me the link and I decided to call AON rather than do it by email because the form you had to fill in, I just wasn’t sure whether it was going to give me a quote for an entire new policy. I called, big mistake, the agent wasn’t sure if I could get the Travel Pro plus addition. Long wait on hold while she inquired. No, we had to buy the insurance through Tauck. I said no, Tauck are not registered to sell insurance, but no arguing with her. So we did what we should have done, we filled the online form out. Got the $49 price each, paid and received the upgraded insurances paperwork immediately
Lesson learned.
I also want to thank Sealord for posting about this a while ago, I was able to search his post and that helped me understand what the extra payment might be etc.
Why did we decide to upgrade.? Well, all the people who got Covid on our recent Tauck Alaska cruise were moaning about how much money they had to fork out for hotels, there is little choice now it’s the height of summer and hotels are filling up and rates higher. If we contract Covid and are maybe stuck in the very expensive hotel at the end of a tour, we don’t want to not be able to claim on the old policy which is now not very generous.
Will be happy to answer any questions

Comments

• Options

I also posted about this in the past as my mother and I bought this additional coverage for our Switzerland tour last year. For $49 it gave us peace of mind to have the additional coverage just in case.

• Options

British I got it too and also booked a less expensive hotel in Cape Town just in case. My tour ends Sept. 21st, so I booked a week hotel at the Marriot.

• Options

Well, now I’m confused … again. The ‘new’ insurance gives more ‘medical expense’ coverage. Is the quarantine considered a ‘medical expense’ or a ‘trip interruption expense’. The ‘trip interruption’’ coverage appears to be the same on the old and the new insurance.

• Options

There are three differences. Go to the insurance info on the Tauck webpage. I think interruption is one you can claim, not what you would think for Covid related problems but apparently it is. Thankfully, we have not had to try this out yet. I’m still thanking Kathy and you for your info! I really should be finishing my chores right now!

• Options

Sealord - from my understanding the trip interruption is that part that applies towards flights. The trip delay is the coverage if you had to quarantine due to covid and would cover the hotel and possibly food for your stay? I may be wrong about the food part. I would have thought the interruption would be towards hotel and delay towards flight, but that is not what was explained to me by AON.

• Options

When I contacted Tauck's customer service about the claim forms they sent me, this is the clarification they provided:
    As far as the two forms from Aon are concerned, you should have one for Trip Delay and one for Trip Interruption.
    Trip Delay would be for meals, accommodations and transfer to the airport.
    Trip Interruption would be for the air change fees.