Options

Grand Rail Adventure: Milan, the Alps, and Vienna 2022

We recently returned from our trip on the Grand Rail Adventure. We traveled westbound from Vienna to Milan. We enjoyed this trip, especially the three days we had on the train. The food and service on the train were exceptional. The tours off the train were okay, but became repetitive. In Innsbruck, Vaduz, and Zurich, we had a tour by bus followed by a walking tour of the old city in each location. Our local tour guides provided good information, but some were better than others. We wished that we had had more, or any, free time in each location. We had a better time in Vienna. One of the highlights of the trip was the private concert in Vienna before boarding the train. We also enjoyed our time in Milan. We had a very good local guide who was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and entertaining. Our Tauck Tour Directors, Terry and Elisabeth, were both very good, as expected from any Tauck TD. They provided us with the information we needed, when we needed it, and saw to every guest’s needs. While on the train, we had two Golden Eagle tour directors who also accompanied us for our off-train excursions. They were also very good, but this was a new experience for us, after six other Tauck trips with only the Tauck TD in charge. Overall, we were happy that we went on this trip and would recommend it to anyone interested in visiting Vienna and Milan, and those who want the luxury train experience. This is not a trip for those who want an up-close look at the Alps.

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the review MandM, you are the only reviews or comments I have seen from someone that actually has taken the tour (which I understand started in the fall of 2022). Here are a couple related questions: 1) does the train move to a side rail and stop moving in the evening, or are you moving (and missing the sights) when you are sleeping 2) most lux trains like the golden eagle have dinner dress code of tie and jacket for the men, what was the dress code at dinner 3) is this a totally Tauck train, or is there Tauck guests in one set of cars, and other guests in other cars 4) was their an open bar in the lounge car, before and after dinner.

• Options

Bruce - I am booked on this trip in September, so haven’t taken it yet, but since MandM haven’t seen your questions yet, I can say from looking into it that I was pleased that they said they would not be moving when we’re sleeping (I agree about missing scenery!) and that the info specifies that it is only Tauck guests (unlike the Ponant trips I’ve taken where Tauck guests were about 2/3 of the travelers). I’m assuming dressing a bit for dinner but would also like to see MandM’s suggestions (I’m traveling with another friend - both women, so not just the dress code for men, please). I did note her comment about “not the trip for people wanting an upclose look at the Alps - I guess I want it all! (Laughing here). With so many outings from the train, I wonder why we won’t have the views of parts of the Alps at least?

• Options

I am also interested in the dress code for Milan, Vienna and the train itself. We are booked for Sept 2023.

• Options

We're on that trip! Liking the schedule adjustment for Milan. Also wondering about sport coat.

• Options

Hello. Sorry, I have been away from looking at these posts for some time. Here are answers to your questions. I hope they are not too late. The dress code is certainly casual during the day. I may have changed into business casual at night just to put on something different, but it is not required. I have never packed a sport coat on any Tauck trip, but that is just me. And the train does move off to a side track at night and does not move. You do not miss any sights while sleeping. A some of the stops, the train would start moving early in the morning to ensure that either the best sights would be seen during breakfast, or to stay on schedule the day's first stop. I hope this helps.

• Options

Understand the Gotthard Tunnel is closed now and will not reopen this year due to a freight accident. Wonder if a 4 or 5 hour detour will change the train schedule and tour. Have initiated a query with Tauck. Anyone have an idea?? Looking forward to a wonderful experience end of September/ beginning of October.

• Options

I am interested in everyone's thoughts. My husband and I are leaving Sat for the Milan to Vienna tour next week. Are the walking tours strenuous? Are sneakers and athletic wear a must or can I get by in comfortable clothes and boots? Very excited but the forecast is looking like rain for our entire time in the Alps ☹️. Info says umbrellas provided on the train, do you keep them or give them back at the end?
    Thanks!

• Options

We didn't do this specific trip but we have been to the Swiss alps and to Vienna with other Tauck trips. The Alps are COLD. We did the train ride to the Jungfraujoch as part of our Rhine river cruise in spring, 2017 and definitely needed boots, gloves hats, scarves and a warm jacket. If this is part of your tour you will also be walking on ice (with handrails) when you tour the ice museum.

Don't know what the weather is like at this time of year in Milan or Vienna. We are leaving in two weeks for the Bellisima Italy tour which starts in Milan, so I will be checking weather there frequently before we go Right now it is very warm. In Vienna almost everything is in walking distance along sidewalks, so take comfortable shoes and walk as much as you can.

• Options

I always take a lightweight rain jacket that folds into a neat parcel and a lightweight umbrella. I often find it easier to put on the coat than have to cope with an umbrella and then you have both hands free too for better balance. I don’t see many people in real athletic wear on tours. Leggings maybe, but I personally think it’s nicer to wear those with a long top.

• Options

juliavienna, no you don't have to wear athletic clothing and sneakers but do make sure whatever shoes you do wear have good traction especially if you're likely to have rain. European cobblestone streets and sometime sidewalks can be very slippery especially when wet. Other than leggings/tops as British described, I only bring "athletic" clothing if the tour has a bike ride, serious hike or I plan to use the gym. For regular touring it isn't needed. You want to be warm, dry, and comfortable. Layering lets you adjust as needed.

• Options

Thanks all! Very helpful! I have a great pair of cute waterproof hiking boots, so I think that will be great. The Tauck tours I’ve done were Africa, Egypt, and Machu Picchu/Galapagos- pretty exclusively clothes from Columbia, North Face etc so hoping I can wear more “normal” clothes. Will definitely layer. Milan and Vienna look like 80’s and 70’s, the train Alps portion looks like 60’s and rain. The information about the train says they give you an umbrella, curious if you get to keep it. I have a raincoat and a travel collapsible umbrella, but would leave the umbrella behind if one is provided. Thanks again for all the responses, fingers crossed the rain drops out of the forecast!

• Options

Also, sorry for the confusion, by “athletic” I meant more hiking clothes, not gym clothes. I would love to leave my camping pants behind this time!

• Options

Yes you can definitely leave the camping clothes at home. I'm packing now for a different Italian trip with a combination of pants in different weights from dress slacks to jeans.

• Options

Claudia, have a great trip! Which one are you taking? Do you have a favorite dress pant brand? I’m woefully lacking, all my dress pants are summer.

• Options

Classic Italy.

In the past for my dressy pants I've mostly taken ponte knit pants from either Coldwater Creek or Chico's. They travel really well but are a bit heavy. I also have a pair of pants from Amazon. DAYOUNG Women's Yoga Dress Pants. They look like regular pants but are pull on. They come in different colors and lengths. Definitely lighter weight than ponte.

I also like rayon/nylon/spandex blend pants. I have several from different companies. They pack well and if you absolutely need to sink wash dry quickly. I had a pair dry overnight in the shower in Scotland.

• Options

I have purchased a pair of black pants from, are you sitting down, Old Navy, and I constantly get asked where I purchased them from. I have nicer and pricier pants and don’t get asked at all. It makes no difference to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file