Options

Tours in Prague

Will be arriving early in Prague and looking to book tours in addition to the ones offered as part of the cruise. I know that the Prague castle complex is fairly large and you could probably spend additional time there. Is it worth an additional tour and/or time to cover more of the complex than what is schedule on the cruise (which includes St Vitas and Strahov Monastery) such as the golden lane and St George's for example? The itinerary description is a little vague. Best Regards

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022

Prague is a good walking city. We went the other way and spent an extra day in Prague. We went all over, but we did also revisit the castle. The Museum of Communism was on our Tauck tour. If you go there you may see my wife’s x-late ice skating associate on a wall there. She defected to the U.S. Her Americanized name was Aja Zanova.

• Options

Wander Mala Strana. See the John Lennon Wall. Walk Wenceslas Square (which is so different now than when I was first there in 1969 on the first anniversary of the Soviet invasion when many of my friends were tear-gassed during a protest). Consider going to one of the evening concerts for which you will be inundated with flyers as you walk around. Prague is one of my all-time favorite cities.

• Options

Have you decided whether you will take the Cesky Krumlov or Salsburg optional excursions (both are on the same day)?

We worked a plan that allowed us to avoid have to choose between two interesting excursions/activites- we did them both. Like you, we were on the Eastbound Blue Danube. Your itinerary may be different, however.

We went a day early and in the afternoon after we arrived a local guide took us on the equivalent of one of Tauck's Day 2 options: "A walk through the city’s poignant Jewish sites in Josefov, the historic Jewish Quarter." That way in the morning of Day 2 in Prague we could do the other option with Tauck, "Walk through the centuries" including a visit to St. Agnes Convent.

On Day 1, up until the welcome dinner, the same guide plus driver took us to Cesky Krumlov for the day. That way, later in the cruise on Day 5 we were able to take the excursion to Salzburg with Tauck- a win-win. A TD friend said Tauck doesn't spend as much time there as would likely be able to. As it turned out she was right- we arrived in Cesky Krumlov at the same time a bus from the Westbound Blue Danube got there. They were gone well before we left.

We had the same guide in Prague and Cesky Krumlov. We worked with Prague Walker who were great, all arrangements made via email. They are recommended by Rick Steves. Out guide, Tereza, was fantastice- was young, educated, spoke excellent English, was Jewish and knew her history. According to their website, she still works for Prague Walker.

Evidently, I didn't do a post-cruise report, but if you have any questions, like how to see the Lipizzaners, How difficult was the 43 km bike ride, etc. just post a question.

• Options

When I was there I took an WWII underground walking tour. It was fascinating. There is a beautiful city underground that dates back to the 1400’s as I recall. I was there in 2014 and I’m sure there are still companies that run a similar tour.

• Options

I'll echo everything that was said about walking. The city is made for that! Places to see would include the Municipal House (has a ratskeller in the basement for a simple dinner), the Castle and St Vitus Cathedral, the Strahov Library, the Dancing House (designed by Frank Gehry), the Mucha Museum the museum with the Slavic Epic.

There is so much to see and do. Choose a few and enjoy them.

• Options

Planning on October 13, 2024 for Blue Danube - eastbound- is this the best time for fall color ? Best ideas for walking sightseeing when coming in early to Prague ?

• Options

Did this trip 2016. Prague is a great city to just get out and walk. Cross the river via the St. Charles Bridge. Get a map and find the st. where Infant of Prague church is located. Tour that area. Lovely gardens, Czech Senate Complex, Jewish Quarter [may be on the tour]. Have a meal at the Restaurant U Golema [Golem]. Lovely city. Enjoy the walk and the food.

• Options

And walk around Mala Strana and visit the John Lennon Wall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file