Options

Which Christmas market cruise?

We're trying to decide bewtween the Danube Christmas market cruise and the Rhine Christmas market cruise. We've done a Rhine cruise in the summer, so that makes me lean toward the Danube cruise just for a change of pace, but the most important thing is the experience, so I'd like to know if one is notably better than the other.

Comments

• Options

We did the Danube in the Spring and have booked the Rhine Christmas Market cruise for this December. The decision was based on wanting to experience a different river, towns, and guidance from a friend. Our feeling is that they are all excellent.

• Options

I've cruised the Danube in the summer (twice) and the Rhine for the Christmas Markets cruise. I was somewhat disappointed in the Rhine stops and markets (except for Strasbourg, which I love) -- though the MS Grace and its crew were great. Even though I haven't seen the markets, I'd go with the Danube.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Maybe Terrilynn will weigh in, she has done both. The itineraries and towns have differences, it is more than the markets, so you'll get differing opinions, but I think those who have done both will say the Danube XMAS Mkts is the slight winner.

• Options

We've done both several times and the DANUBE is, by far, our favorite. It is mostly GERMANY- which is where the Xmas Markets originated, so the markets are the best. We just went again last month. I also recommend doing it Vienna to Nuremberg if possible. We just posted a review last month, so be sure to look for it. Add a day or 2 to Vienna and to Nuremberg. Read my review and feel free to PM me with any questions. Either way, you'll have a great time.

• Options

I agree with Terrilynn. We've done both as well and I think the variety of Markets is much greater on the Danube trip. And yes, a day in front and at the end will give you a wonderful experience especially if Nuremberg is your last stop. There is just not enough time to take it all in on the last day.

• Options

We've done non-Christmas market cruises on both the Rhine (twice) and Danube. I thought the stops on the Danube were better and closer to the ship so less bus time. Though I too loved Strasbourg.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file