Latest News on Europe Travel Disruptions

Just read an interesting article from "The Points Guy" newsletter today and it lists upcoming strikes for England, France, Germany and Spain. Looks like it is going to be a challenging time flying over the next couple of months. You might want to check this out if traveling or connecting thru these countries.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/travel-disruption-strikes-europe/?utm_source=TPG Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6524093&utm_usr=ea6f639740020e5d6772059f34f4fd3004c96e0cc0830f3e2fa11a8d3e1388ef&utm_msg=428a7c696c0d4c1691d02a88a035a4f4&utm_date=2023-04-01

Comments

• edited April 2023

Ah yes, la grève, I learned that word the hard way years ago. Challenging indeed, though I admire their spirit. I'm heading to Nice at end of month, Riviera/Provence/Paris and then Brittany on my own; didn't realize other countries may be striking also. Looks like international flights are ok and I see massive trash cleanup in Paris has begun. Wonder whether limousine and bus drivers will be involved, but I'm sure Tauck will handle any disruptions. I'm glad I've been to the Louvre and can skip that; it's been a gathering spot for protesters.

• I’m leaving on April 13th for Paris with 3 days at. Versailles before the Paris, Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley trip. For now it looks like the only new national strike day is April 6th. I understand the protests are loosing steam. Hopefully they will take a break with Easter and spring break coming! What trip are you on MarketArt?

• We will be leaving for the Normandy, Brittany, Loire Valley tour on May 7 for the May 9 small group tour, and plan to spend two additional days in Paris at the end. I did read that there will be periodic, unannounced strikes by air traffic controllers and others through the spring. This seems to be a usual occurrence in France—we went through the same thing when we were in Paris 12 years ago!

• We’re on the April 19th French Escapade tour. Not too concerned, we’ll just deal with whatever happens.

• mfrancis-
    We're on the French Escapade tour in late May. Hope you will post your tips from the trip in the appropriate forum. My advice is to try to avoid places that might be subject to the protests - the Elysee Palace, the National Assembly and especially the Place de la Concorde. Unfortunately, they're all within 2 miles of the hotel. :s

• edited April 2023

Ken from Vegas - will do. No plans to be in those areas, we have booked a private walking tour of the Marais plus the Tauck evening tour of the Louvre, other than those will probably just hang out in the Place de Madeleine and the hotel. I’ve been to Paris a number of times.

• edited April 2023

We are doing a walking tour on our own after visiting the Musèe d'Orsay on the morning of Day 13 of the Normandy, Brittany . . . tour. We plan to leave from d'Orsay and head to Musèe Rodin museum and sculpture garden, then on to the Eiffel Tower, then back to Le Meurice. We've considered two options for the return leg- walk back along the Seine or take Metro- both routes end up at Place de Corcorde! :o I built in some extra time so we have a little cushion- we don't depart the hotel until 6:45 for the farewell dinner.

Our departure does not include an after-hours visit to the Louvre :/ so we are going there with a private guide in the late afternoon on Day 12.

• It's funny. The itinerary for Day 2 (we're going Southbound) says that: "You have a choice of museum visit this afternoon, including Musée du Louvre – home to da Vinci's masterpiece, the Mona Lisa." The travel documents (e-green book) say, "This evening, you will have the opportunity to visit the Musee du Louvre for a private after-hours tour; a Tauck exclusive!" Hopefully, the green book is right, but I'm going to check with Tauck to be sure.

• Well, the Tauck Rep says the travel documents are right and we get the after hours tour. Thanks for pointing this out, mfrancis, I had missed it. If you could confirm that you got the after hours tour when you return, I would appreciate it.

• Alan, our plans for day 13 of our tour are similar to yours—Musee Rodin after the d’Orsay tour. We’ll do the Eiffel Tower on one of our extra days. In addition, we’re scheduled to do a foodie tour in Montmartre on one of our extra days.

• edited April 2023

Ken - I believe the website itinerary is generic as not all tour dates get the private evening tour of the Louvre. What I found out from Tauck is that on Day 2 (we’re SB also), we have a bus tour of Paris from 10 - ~11:30; a possible optional tour of the Palais Garnier from 3-4 (ask the TD); then depart at 5:30 for the Louvre. I’ll try to remember to confirm for you that schedule after the fact. We depart the hotel for the train at noon the following day.

• edited April 2023

JanP
    5:16PM

Alan, our plans for day 13 of our tour are similar to yours—Musee Rodin after the d’Orsay tour. We’ll do the Eiffel Tower on one of our extra days. In addition, we’re scheduled to do a foodie tour in Montmartre on one of our extra days.

I hope you already have your Eiffel Tower tickets! Online e-tickets for 21 - 24 May are already sold out. Some tickets may still be sold for those purchasing them at the Tower in the morning. Third party tours that include the Eiffel Tower may also have tickets. The official website says, "We sell our tickets online up to 60 days in advance (for lift tickets) and 14 days in advance (for stairs tickets to second floor).

https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/rates-offers/ticket-top-lift

FYI, for everyone else, if your plan includes riding the elevator to the top and come down via elevator or stairs, and you want to avoid the lines and save time, you MUST get Summit via lift tickets online exactly 60 days, day-for-day, prior to your desired date. The availability window is EXTREMELY short, currently less than an hour once posted. After that most, if not all time slots will be gone!!!

I've been tracking it for a few weeks. Right now they are getting ready to sell tickets for 3 June. Last night the Summit via lift tickets for 2 June went on sale at about 10:45 - 10:500 pm EST US and were all gone in less than an hour! Also, the site function is wonky- at 9:50 pm EST I saw the 3 June timeslot page, but then it was gone. The fall back had been Summit via lift + Champagne (which includes 1 small flute of ?) tickets which are almost twice as expensive but are usually still available the next day, but not now!! I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I will be shut out of the regular Summit via lift. :/ I think ticket aggregators, like Viator, or tour companies, etc. are buying up most of the tickets!! :#

• We purchased our tickets for May 22 last week—I think we got the last 10:30am tix, and we splurged on the champagne just because we thought it would be fun.

• edited April 2023

Great! Tonight the tickets (for 3 June) didn't go so fast. There are still plenty of time slots still available at midnight EST. Tickets may have sold out quickly last night because 2 June is a Sunday.

I'm still waiting for June (combo) tickets to be released for Sainte-Chapelle / Conciergerie. We will be seeing both and also spending a few hours at the Louvre on Day 12 with a private guide, instead of doing the optional short walking tour, because our departure doesn't include an after-hours visit to the Louvre. Too much to see and not enough time (we are going a day early but not staying later)

• We flew into terminal 5 at Heathrow airport yesterday and breezed through the fastest ever. No limes in security. We got onto an half empty airplane bus to travel to terminal 3 for our flight back to the US. The plane was full.
    Heathrow security remains extra tough. We never carry any liquids in our hand luggage apart from small hand gel in a visible outside pocket of our backpacks. We have been through multiple countries with them and no one bats an eyelid but Heathrow wants them in a small ziplock bag. Every airport has differing rules.

• While I loved to look at the Eiffel Tower, I had no particular need to go inside. If your goal is to view the Paris skyline, there are other places. I wish I could remember which monument we ascended to see the view when we went because I’m not sure it was the Arc de Triomphe but wherever it was there were great views and few other tourists there. Here are a few other ideas. https://www.parisdiscoveryguide.com/paris-skyline-views.html

• I group the Eiffel Tower with the Leaning Tower, Statue of Liberty, etc., etc. If you are going to be there, why not? It also eliminates the need afterwards to explain to people why you didn't! :D

Thanks for the link. Claudia says the view from Galeries Lafayette Rooftop Terrace are excellent.

It is too bad they removed the Tuileries Ferris Wheel! It was right across the Rue de Rivoli from our hotel.

• The Basilica of the Sacre-Coeur of Montmartre offers a breathtaking view of all of Paris and with far less throngs of people. The edifice itself is gorgeous, as are the mosaics inside. The enormous bell is supposedly one of the largest in the world.

• mfrancis, looks like we are on the same French Escapade trip. We will be arriving on the 18th.We received the earlier itinerary that indicated we would be able to attend the museum of our choice. The latest itinerary included the evening in the Louvre. Whatever ends up to be the itinerary we have our own plans. We have booked an afternoon tour of the opera house on the 18th. We are also planning to visit the Rodin Museum. Have visited number museums and sites on previous visits. If there is an evening at the Louvre we will go. We have been in Paris several time and had a private guide for a tour of the Louvre several years ago, but would enjoy a visit without masses of people.
    For anyone looking for tour information Paris Walks has some interesting tours. We have done several of them on previous visits.

• edited April 2023

I admit I'm the worst tourist ever, but I agree with kfnknfzk and British that Paris offers many less-clichéd vantage points. I've been to Paris a handful of times and never thought to go anywhere near the Eiffel Tower. I used to visit the roof of the old Samarataine dept. store; I don't know whether that is still open to visitors; there's a new retailer there now. p.s. Alan, we are very different travelers. I've never been to Statue of Liberty or up the Washington Monument.

• The view from Sacre Couer is gorgeous, as is the one from the top floor of the Pompidou Museum.

• MarketArt
    3:07PM edited 3:15PM

I admit I'm the worst tourist ever, but I agree with kfnknfzk and British that Paris offers many less-clichéd vantage points. I've been to Paris a handful of times and never thought to go anywhere near the Eiffel Tower. I used to visit the roof of the old Samarataine dept. store; I don't know whether that is still open to visitors; there's a new retailer there now. p.s. Alan, we are very different travelers. I've never been to Statue of Liberty or up the Washington Monument.

How about to the top of Brunelleschi's Dome in Florence or the Monastery or High Place of Sacrifice in Petra, or the Sun Gate in Machu Picchu, the London Eye? I must have a thing about high places? I've flown through CDG many times, been to Strasbourg, Toulon, Saint- Tropez, but have never been to Paris.

• edited April 2023

We all have different traveling styles. We, of course, partake in most Tauck excursions unless we have done them several times before. We typically add pre-and-post tour days so we can explore areas on our own. We have found that some of the best experiences and hidden treasures happen by chance.

MarketArt - I agree. If we see throngs of people going one way, we turn around and go in the opposite direction. By the way, last year you suggested flying Virgin Atlantic since it is non-stop from LA to Heathrow. I'll be doing that flight very soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Marla526 - Thanks for the Pompidou Museum suggestion. And I'll let you know how my lunch at Guy Savoy is (I think you mentioned you ate there.)

• edited April 2023

CindyL…we also arrive on the 18th, flying thru Heathrow. We’re meeting our CA friends there, they are on the Douro cruise beginning tomorrow. We booked a tour of the Marais on the 19th with Tours by Locals. If Tauck doesn’t have the optional tour of the Opera on Day 2, we’ll fit it in ourselves. The Rodin is great. Look forward to meeting you.

• CindyL -- I second Paris Walks. I've taken several. They are a sister company to London Walks, where I've pretty much gone through the whole list of offerings!

• We visited a Guy Savoy restaurant when we were in Paris a few years ago called Les Bouquinistes. My husband had had a business dinner there previously. I see his main Paris restaurant lost one of it’s Michelin stars fro 2023.

• And if anyone's at the Pompidou Centre, check out the artist studio, Atelier Brancusi. kfnknfzk, hope you enjoy Virgin. If you have access, the lounge and onboard bar are fun. I'll be stopping at LHR on way back from CDG in May b/c nonstop Business fares on AF were crazy-extravagant, so switching to Virgin for leg home.

• MarketArt - I like how Virgin Atlantic has the sliding half-doors for additional privacy. I understand we have to book the on-board loft area and only for one hour increments. I'm sure it will be a nice experience overall. Regarding the lounge at LAX, I believe we have to use the Star Alliance "cafeteria" since there is not one exclusively for Virgin Atlantic. Given the endless LAX renovations, they never seem to upgrade their lounges! Thanks again.

• Maybe I should have started a new Paris thread, but here's a travel piece, A Local's Guide to Paris: Far away from the Eiffel Tower, life vibrates from little cafes and restaurants (from fancy to quirky), public art and wide diversity found in few European cities. Show us you love our city as much as we do, and you may even walk away thinking Parisians are actually nice. I like her comment that if you pay more than €2.50 for an espresso, you've found a tourist trap.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/france/paris-local-guide/#du-pain-et-des-idées
    You can click on left to see author's various recommendations by category.

• You might want to consider the Cluny Museum in your wanderings. It and the Musee d'Orsay are my favorites. From the Cluny it's a short walk to the fabulous Sainte Chapelle and then another walk to the Picasso Museum (there are several other nearby museums). Directly across from the Eiffel Tower is the really cool Cite de l'Architecture Museum with great views of the tower.