Options

Christmas Markets Dec 6-13 on the JOY

This will be my 8th trip with Tauck, but my first Riverboat experience. I will be flying into Vienna on the 2nd to spend some time exploring before taking the train to Nuernberg on the 5th. What are the must-dos in Vienna?

Christina

Comments

• Options

It all depends on what your interests are. As classical music lovers, we enjoyed the House of Music Museum, as well as performances at the State Opera. The Judenplatz Museum chronicles Jewish life in Vienna and the hardships endured during WWII.

The best thing to do is to perform some research based on your interests. Enjoy!

• Options

My group will be getting off the Joy the day you embark. Will try to leave the ship in good condition :) .

It will be my second time in Vienna and the first to spend time in the Ring Strauss area. For research I'd recommend Rick Steves Vienna and Salzburg guidebook. The newest version cones out in Jun and covers Vienna plus other stops on the cruise. I'd recommend his Vienna pocket guide but it was last updated 2020 and the next release isn't due til next year. His website also has lots of info for free or watch his videos.

• Options
    edited April 2023

I would first check whether your tour includes time to see the XMAS Mkts in Vienna. When we did XMAS Mkts on the Rhine last year. The tour started in Basel but did not include time for a visit to the Markets. That is one of the things we did on our own when we arrived early. Next, if you are interested and if the day of the week you arrive fits, you might consider observing the Lipizzaner morning exercise or take the tour of the stables. Again, depending on scheduling, you might even be able to attend a performance. There is a website “Spanish Riding School.”

• Options
    edited April 2023

We did this tour last December and I posted a review on the Danube Xmas Market Section. Are you staying at Hotel Imperial (the Tauck Hotel)? Tauck will take you to two of the nicest Xmas Markets at Schonbrunn Palace and at City Hall, but there are 2 more worth seeing - one is on the other side of the Tauck Hotel, going 'away' from downtown - it is the 'locals' favorite' w/lots of great items and food - there is also a great cathedral there worth going into - this is in the Resselpark area with the Karlskirche CHURCH.

The Maria Theresien Platz area also has a good market and you can walk across the street and enter the old town area near the Hoffburg Palace which is a great walk with amazing scenery. After you enter downtown thru the palace courtyard, St. Michael's church (Michaelerkirche) will be on your RIGHT, it is most often overlooked, but it is from the 13th century and very worth going inside. Then just walk toward St. Stephan's - it's one of our favorite Vienna walks w/gorgeous Xmas lights - try to see it in daytime and when it's dark.

Also, def go the St. Stephan's Cathedral - it is one of our favorites. Also, once inside, go the the LEFT and pay the 6 Euros to take the elevator to the top for amazing views of the cathedral and Vienna.

On your free day in Nuremberg, be sure to visit the Xmas markets and 3 Cathedrals, as there isn't much time with Tauck to do so. We also did this tour in 2013 and it has changed a lot since then - there was not as much time in Nuremberg or Regensburg as there was before. It is a fabulous tour and is our favorite of Tauck's Xmas Market RiverCruises.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file