Options

Binoculars?

What kind of binoculars and what magnification do you recommend for a safari?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023

On Tauck’s packing list it says 7x50. I have no idea what our binoculars are, I leave those details to my husband , we have a smallish compact pair each and we always have them handy on each trip and do use them for certain things like getting a closer look at leopards in trees with their pray and birds. Some people will tell you they are not required, but we would never be without ours, they always sit ready around our necks. We use buffs which cushion the straps on our necks.
    This is a great tour. You go to the Western part of Tanzania which is less visited and beautiful. It is a very good value safari too. We go there again next year.

• Options

I bought my wife a set of ZEISS Terra ED 8 x 32 much against her protestation. "I don't need Binoculars, I'll never use them" said she! She never had them away from her eyes while we were in Botswana last year. They are small and light enough to wear for a long time and bright and vivid due to the Zeiss glass. Unless you plan on doing some gloomy light viewing you probably don't need the x 50s. Save yourself some neck pain! Its generally bright enough when you are viewing on the Tauck safaris.

• Options

We have GLLYSION 12X50’s that I bought for our last trip. Previously we had small binoculars that I finally decided were inadequate compared to what the driver was using. They do not live on our neck. We share one pair and they live on the floor of the safari vehicle between us along with the camera with a 300mm zoom. One of us would have the camera, and the other the binoculars when needed. These are not “bridge’ glasses. They are relatively light and compact.

• Options

Sealord
    2:14PM
    . . . . These are not “bridge’ glasses. They are relatively light and compact.

You might need to explain that one! :D Not "big eyes" either? B)

• Options

Do you mean the binoculars someone might use on the bridge of a ship!

• Options

Something like that, I think the OOD was seldom without them. Alan knows better than I.

• Options
    edited June 2023

British
    June 17
    Do you mean the binoculars someone might use on the bridge of a ship!

Yes.

In the early days binoculars were preceded by a spyglass (telescope). Soon after the invention of the telescope in 1608, the spyglass made its way aboard ships. In Navies, the spyglass would ceremoniously be passed from the off-going to the oncoming Officer of the Deck. Quartermaster spyglasses were still produced for the US Navy in 1943.

When binoculars came into general use aboard Navy ships, The Officer of the Deck, the Navigator, and Captain usually all had their own pair, but again no one else touched them. There are two reasons, they were specifically assigned to senior officers (in title and/or function) and not to be messed with by a lowly sailor, and because each eyepiece individually can be adjusted to match the visual acuity of each eye of a user and you didn't want to be responsible for changing the captain's or other officer's settings!!! Typical Navy binoculars are 7 x 50 power.

You can read more about binoculars (and more about the bridge equipment of a Navy ship than you ever wanted to know :D ) at this link to the Navy Seaman's Training manual. Binoculars are discussed on pp 2-19: https://maritime.org/doc/pdf/seaman.pdf

As to my reference to "Big Eyes" (or big eyes binoculars) they are a very large set of binoculars (7 X 120), which, due to their weight and size, were typically attached to a swivel mounted to a pedestal on the bridge wing and the signal bridge one or more decks above.

• Options

Thank you!