Options

Morocco October 2024

A friend and I just registered for this tour, our first with Tauck though both of us have traveled extensively with other tour groups. The other tours were all small group; we signed up for a classic Tauck for scheduling reasons. We also liked the in-depth nature of the Tauck tour compared with the other organizations that we have traveled with. Any others going in late October 2024 or can offer advice for Tauck newbies? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options

Hi Anne, welcome to Tauck! My husband and I have been on 8 Tauck trips and have enjoyed each one, going mostly to Europe. However we really enjoyed the Morocco trip. Being less adventurous, we appreciated the "hand-holding" on this one, which was our first exotic tour. As far as Tauck tours in general, my husband and I really appreciate the excellent Tour Directors, skilled bus drivers and nice hotels, meals and wine offered on the trip. The other guests are generally well-educated and very friendly, making for a relaxed, fun yet very educational experience. (We have met some of our best friends on Tauck trips.) Many days are long and exhausting but almost always well worth it. For me, the time spent on included meals can be longer than necessary, but that is a personal preference. In general there is a pretty good balance between included activities and free time. You will receive a detailed itinerary about a month before your trip, and you can research on your own what activities you might like to do in your free time, especially anything where you might need to reserve in advance. The TD's will always give recommendations for free time and dining on your own when you get to each location. The logistics on these Tauck tours are incredibly well-planned and supported. Logistical mishaps are rare, but if they happen, they are remedied almost immediately.
    As far as advice, I'm trying to think of something specific. There is a seat rotation on the bus, so that everyone gets a chance to have the "best" viewing windows. Maybe all group tours do that now. One other thing we did not realize on our first Tauck tour: If you don't like your assigned hotel room, you can try to change it. If there is an upgrade involved, you will be asked to pay the difference. If you bought the Travel Protection policy, read it carefully so that you know exactly what and how much is covered, and consider calling Aon directly if you have questions.
    You mentioned that you had been on some smaller tours up to now. A fact of life regarding group travel is respiratory viruses, and smaller groups would definitely have an advantage on that. I would caution you to plan accordingly.
    Other than that, relax and enjoy the trip! PS Cab drivers in Morocco speak very little English. Good idea to brush up on your French phrases.

• Options

Wan, it is not usual for people to so easily change their hotel rooms on a tour. In fact, it causes a great deal of work and is a big pain for the TD when you arrive at a new destinations and the TD has so many other things to attend to that tour members don’t even realize. Sometimes you get a great room sometimes you don’t, that’s how it goes, the hotel chooses the rooms. I can tell you the worst incident we witnessed was on a Tauck tour years ago when a couple did not like the room they had been assigned, they were argumentative with the hotel manager and the TD. In fact, we heard the TD say they had been given that room, because they did not want to have to use stairs, thats what they had put on the form you fill in at the beginning of the tour. They complained they had no view, nobody had a view, outside was thick jungle. We had stayed in that very room another time too, all views were the same. I think it was one night, and we were never in the room during daylight. We walked past them again at the desk sometime later and they were still arguing…yes one of the many things the TD” s have to put up with these so called educated people!

• Options
    edited July 2023

Totally agree with British. Rooms are a crap shoot. They are mostly great , but sometimes they have no view or are just not much. On our Scandinavia tour last year, our kids got great rooms in every hotel, and we were climbing over our luggage. We did not complain. We complain for noise which would interrupt sleep, bad smells, and broken amenities that we need . On land tours there are a bunch of hotels- the great rooms with beautiful views greatly outnumber the duds. In Morocco, the hotels and rooms are fabulous. AnneNJ - you should go to the Morocco tab and read the reviews for detailed info.

• Options

Yes, can you imagine 30 plus intelligent people on a tour arriviste at a hotel with Tauck and wanting to change rooms! Even if it’s just one or two, it takes time. Do I want to spend that time for getting a different room to just sleep in for a couple of nights or do I want to enjoy myself seeing the sites.
    On our last tour, the hairdryer in the room did not work, and I discovered that my hubby had mentioned to the TD that I was upset about it. I was so embarrassed he told her that. I called the reception and by the time we got back from dinner, it had been replaced with a swanky new one with a night light. She teased me about it later as I’ve recently gotten a short haircut so it wasn’t a big deal.

• Options

Wow, I certainly did not imply that 30 people should be asking for a room change. In our 8 Tauck tours we never even asked once. You have to adapt and be flexible if necessary. But on our first tour, at the Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, we had a beautiful room with tall windows facing the sea. We were thrilled until we discovered we were right next door to the restaurant that had live music until late into the night. The room was warm, and being April, not yet time for the use of AC. Opening the windows would have been too loud. We got very little sleep there. I'm just saying that if we come across that situation in the future, I will politely ask if there is another option.
    Anne, back to Morocco, yes the hotels there are very nice and the Four Seasons in Marrakesh is amazing. Consider booking an extra night there.

• Options

Wan, is there enough to do in Marrakesh to justify staying an extra night or two?

• Options

The Medina!!

• Options

Even if you just stayed and enjoyed the hotel, you would not be disappointed!

• Options

Wan. I do apologize but you do make it sound that you can just change your room if you don’t like it! We had a room two years ago on the tour that included Death Valley We walked into the hot room and there was a very loud metal clanking noise and the A/c was clearly not working. We called reception and a mechanic came and tried to fix it. He jammed something into the works to improve the noise but the air would not work. We called our TD to ask if there was another room. Minutes later he appeared and said he had another room for us. What we did not find out until the next day was that he gave us his room and he slept in the hot room. He did get an extra big tip. Otherwise have accepted all our rooms in the past, fabulous and not so fabulous! I think it’s best if you get an extra great room to just keep quiet and enjoy you good luck and suck up the less nice ones. That way it saves a lot of moaning from others on the tour. I do know one company that gives the better rooms to it’s best customers but not Tauck.

• Options

MCD - Please check out the Hotel La Mamounia in Marrakech if you choose to spend some extra time in that magical city. The hotel is full of history (Franklin Roosevelt and Churchill met there during the Second World War), and it is a stunningly beautiful property. Many lovely restaurants to choose from, a gorgeous cocktail lounge, all surrounded by lovely grounds with palm trees that are decades, if not centuries, old. I also loved my extra three days on the coast in Essaouira. Have a wonderful trip!

• Options

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I had been thinking of spending some time in Essaouira, and didn't know whether Tauck's day trip would be sufficient. And I appreciate the information about the Roosevelt and Churchill meeting in Marrakech. I had not heard about it -- or, if I had, I didn't remember it.

• Options

Thanks everyone. About the rooms, I concur unless there is something seriously wrong with a room, which is very rare. Thoughts on money exchange, best places to see/purchase mosaics, ceramics, other unique items? Any must see/do not included in the touring? Blue buildings in Rabat? Can you see the night sky in the desert? I’m an avid photographer. Thx so much.

• Options

Anne, regarding shopping, we took the tour before the pandemic and I see that it has changed. Someone in a recent discussion said that the hotel in Marrakesh, if I am not mistaken, had helped them obtain the services of a shopper. When we went, there was a free morning and Tauck had arranged guides to assist with shopping for anyone who wanted. Normally I hate shopping but the colors of Morocco are stunning. The medina is vast and you will save a lot of time (and probably money) if you use a knowledgeable guide. Haggling skills are helpful, but the guides could help. Checking my notes I did buy 2 items at Palais de la Menara, a beautiful store in the Medina that has housewares and furniture items. If you are an expert shopper and have an eye for art, that will help you. I have neither and probably overpaid for what I bought, a Berber mirror and inlay side table, but I still love them both. Note: Both items were shipped to us and arrived in crates. The items were well padded but not secured to the inside of the crate. Our table had a leg that broke off and the mirror had a chipped corner. The broken pieces were salvaged. I contacted the store who responded right away. I opted to have the items repaired by an acquaintance who is in art restoration. I sent them the bill which they paid immediately, and the repairs are flawless. Even though I love my items, I am not sure I would buy ceramic items again. If you live near a large city you could probably find the same types of items. There was another ceramic place that was an optional visit near Fes called Art d'Argile. They had really beautiful things, from small table items to outdoor tile tables but they were extremely expensive.
    Regarding blue buildings in Rabat, you will see blue in the Kasbah of the Udayas. See photos by mil:
    https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/17032/morocco-blue-city-day-trip#latest
    Of course there are also the Majorelle Gardens (part of the tour in Marrakesh), where that blue will haunt you for the rest of your life. The shop there has beautiful items.
    Regarding night sky in the desert, I asked my husband to recall since he is an amateur astronomer. We were there in late March, and we left the dessert activity before the sky got really, really dark, around 9 pm.
    Reviewing my notes has made me want to take this trip again. Your eyes will be dazzled and your camera will be very busy.

• Options

Your eyes will be dazzled and your camera will be very busy.

Wan Speaking of cameras--I usually carry my DSLR camera with zoom lens; however, my thought was the camera on my iPhone Pro would be sufficient for this trip as I assume everything of interest to photograph would be rather close and no need for a zoom lens. What are your thoughts? Do you think the DSLR is needed and did others on your tour carry the bigger cameras. Thanks!

• Options

My thoughts are that I ditched my SLR camera years ago (lazy +tremor) and I am not the best person to ask! So sorry I do not remember if fellow travelers carried larger cameras. This is not really a nature tour. We did go to Chellah Garden during some free time in Rabat before the start of the tour. There are stork nests on top of very tall ancient towers and columns. It was interesting but for me not a highlight. There would probably be other instances where a zoom would be useful but I think for the most part, as you say, you won't miss it. I hope others will help out here! My husband has the Iphone 14 and the zoom is already pretty amazing on that.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We’ve visited several Arab countries recently so we need a break but we now intend to visit Morocco in a couple of years. It wasn’t on our radar until recently until we saw how beautiful the mountainous areas were. My husband had taken some persuading until he enjoyed our Arabia tour so much.
    Regarding cameras, it’s interesting, we have rarely seen big cameras on any of our tours recently and many people don’t seem to be taking any photographs at all. I find these days that I am taking a lot of photos but on my iPhone. I make photo books for most tours, not all. I’m very behind on my books, I haven’t even downloaded my Israel and Jordan photos yet. Our upcoming trip to Japan, we won’t take our big camera, but when we go to Africa later in the year, we will take at least one of our two big cameras. I don’t think I would personally take a camera to Morocco.

• Options

Wan-I mentioned using the concierge at the Four Seasons for a Marrakech for a guide/shopper/negotiator/navigator in the Medina. I was traveling with 2 couples but the men opted to relax at the hotel. The Medina is large and the alleyways all look alike. You can easily lose your way. The guide was instrumental in all aspects—including helping to carry our purchases! We met the loveliest merchants - everyone had stories to tell.

While on tour, there were shopping opportunities. There was a group lunch in the Medina and some of us left before dessert to check out the shops. For example, the TD told us to meet a x location in an hour.

On this trip the TD had a wonderful assistant who was with us throughout the trip. He was Moroccan and provided interesting commentary to the group. And between the TD at the front of the group and the assistant bringing up the rear, we lost no one in the Medina or elsewhere.

• Options

Wan..thanks!

Regarding cameras, it’s interesting, we have rarely seen big cameras on any of our tours recently and many people don’t seem to be taking any photographs at all.

British...Hopefully that means people are really allowing themselves to enjoy the moment. I'll probably only take the IPhone to Morocco. I'm torn regarding my upcoming India/Nepal tour. As I've visited India before, I have many many photos. My concern is the safari portion of tour--I'm certain I will not be able to capture a good shot of the elusive Tiger with just a IPhone. I would surely enjoy leaving the DSLR behind.

• Options

Nancy it sounds like a much more controlled situation than the "assigned shopper" I had! The young man spoke very little English. I just told him what I wanted and he would take me to a specific shop. Unfortunately he was very experienced at navigating the medina and almost ran his way through it! I said "Babouj!" and he just took off! At one point, I lost him at an intersection. I looked around and saw 2 teenage boys staring at me. "Which way did he go?" I yelled out in English. They both simultaneously pointed to my left! I finally found the guide. It was one of my most memorable travel experiences. Felt like I was in a Jackie Chan movie for a sec.

• Options

British - I don’t think I would personally take a camera to Morocco.

Coming from the person that has been on 156,000 tours and visited every country in the world 5 times! 😂

For me, a camera is like the old AMEX slogan 'Don't Leave Home Without It'

• Options

Smiling Sam
    12:16PM
    . . . . "For me, a camera is like the old AMEX slogan 'Don't Leave Home Without It' '

Yup, especially for someone like me who doesn't own a cell phone. :o:D

I don't know if it is because cell phone photography or photography, itself, is still new to some, or a manual dexterity issue, but it seems to me it takes people much longer to zoom, frame and take photos with their phones that it takes DSLS users to do the same. I don't know how many times I've patiently waited for a phone user to get out of the way so I could get a quick shot, and don't get me started about selfies!!!!

I see places like the Louvre are starting to prohibit selfie sticks- thank goodness!! Probably the worst incident with selfies was on Santorini. I was at one of the "the best spots" to get the prototypical photo of town that includes as many of the blue-domed churches as possible. The spot was small and could only handle a very few photographers at a time, so there was a waiting line. When people got to the spot, most were considerate of others, took a few quick photos, and then moved out of the way so others had a chance. It was May but not overly busy. As I got near the front of the line, a group of teens was at bat- it was a selfie orgy- everyone had to take photos of themselves and others in the group in every combination possible of photographers and subjects, and of course they all had to approve of each photo and often demanded another photo be taken if they weren't smiling or for some other reason the photo just wasn't right! It was so bad, people in line started complaining first quietly, then louder. I just shook my head and exclaimed, "Same day rule!" :#:#:#

• Options

There are great options to dslr cameras. Some of the super zooms are smaller and lighter and you don’t need to change lenses. Unless you are a true photo enthusiast (and if you are considering using your phone camera, it’s doubtful that you are) a quality super zoom with a a large sensor could be a great compromise.

• Options

BSP51 - You came pretty close to describing my camera, Sony RX10, quality zoom with a large sensor. I said quality zoom vs quality super zoom because it doesn’t zoom has much as some, but it gets the job done.

• Options

Sam - mine is also the RX10IV. For my needs and level of expertise it is all I need. I use the term “expertise “ very loosely.

• Options

We had the exact same experience in Santorini as Sam did. I give everyone a fair amount of time to take their picture. However, once it turns into a photo shoot, my sweet nature evaporates. If they have resisted courteous requests for them to move on, I simply photo bomb their picture. This has worked on numerous occasions and other people in line have applauded.

• Options

Oooh, what a great idea! :D:D

What do you in situations like this-

There was an older gentleman traveling solo on one of our recent tours. When we visited sites, many of which were really fantastic AND photogenic, we could always count on him to wander slowly and pause numerous times, in everyone's line of sight. Sometimes he wasn't even looking at whatever feature or point of interest he was standing in front of. He was clearly oblivious of those who had their phones and cameras ready and just waiting for him to move so they could take a photo! It was hard to avoid him and I almost thought he was targeting me! :D He was everywhere!! It got so bad that when our group arrived at a site, I would try to walk fast to get ahead of him, to be sure I could get a quick photo before he arrived and caused me and everyone else to wait until he finally wandered out of the way! Only just a few times did he become aware that others were waiting for him to move, which he did, but those few times had no impact on his behavior elsewhere. :#:#

It was annoying to say the least, and I'm a "relatively" o:) patient person- I've been known to wait several minutes for another tour group or person to get out of the way so I could take a photo. One time in Italy our Tauck group was moving on but I hadn't been able to take a photo because a group from another company was still blocking my line of sight. They finally moved out of the way and I took my photo as my VOX was breaking up, but not before my group had disappeared from sight. I caught up with them almost two blocks later. :D

• Options
    edited July 2023

Alan - I've done the same thing. Sometimes I wished those VOXes had directional antennas! :)

• Options

When I take photos l do what i do in Africa, take a quick photo and then move aside to give someone else a chancel You have to be quick anyway. Then I take a second go when others seem to have finished. And no, I’m not a true photo enthusiast , they are for our enjoyment in a memory album
    In places like Europe, when we have a guide, I make the effort to walk quickly to whatever is in our sights, take a photo and then again step back for others. It is those who use iPads to take photos who block a lot of the views.
    You know though, if someone wants to stand in the way, then they should freely be able to do so, Not everyone wants or needs to take photos, I’ve waited many times for people to move. It could be argued it’s our problem, not theirs. Does missing a photo op really matter that much in the scheme of things.

• Options

Being, typically 6-12 inches taller than everyone else, has some photo advantages ( shooting over the top of everyone else ). 😄
    I’ve taken lots of photos over time where my camera has been straight above over people’s heads.