Options

Day Before or After Week in Spain Tour

Wondering if anyone has come a day early or stayed a day longer with the Week in Spain tour to either do a day trip to Montserrat from Barcelona prior or to go to Toledo from Madrid the day after? Suggestions about this or other worthwhile day trips? Thanks.

Comments

• Options

I've done three longer tours of Spain and Portugal with Tauck. Montserrat affords very nice views, but I was unimpressed in seeing the black Madonna there. I do highly recommend going to Toledo, but suggest leaving Madrid as early as possible since there is so much to see and do in Toledo. I also recommend ensuring the guide is well versed in the history of the area, particularly of how the Jews, Muslims and Christians once lived in harmony. Enjoy your tour.

• Options

I have been to Spain several times, Monserrat is lovely, views are beautiful if you walk to the top and seeing the Black Madonna is a treat.

• Options

We visited Montserrat during our Tauck N. Spain tour. The views are, as you can see, quite spectacular. The Black Madonna was interesting but, for us, not a “wow” moment. What we did love was the art museum there. A terrific collection of mostly Spanish artists with other masters. It’s relatively small, you are up close to the paintings and, on the day we visited, we nearly had it to ourselves. Having said all that, if I had to drive or arrange transportation to visit Montserrat knowing what I would find, I’m not sure I would. Toledo now, that’s a different story. It’s a terrific place to visit but you’ll be sharing it with a few thousand of your newest friends. If you can somehow find a way to stay there overnight all those day trippers will be gone and the abundant charms of this city will become apparent. Even if not, take that day trip.

• Options

We added time to our Douro cruise that ended in Madrid and took the train to Barcelona for 3 nights. We found plenty to see in the city without leaving it. Loads of interesting architecture, unique streets to explore, museums, etc. We got tickets on the hop on hop off bus which is excellent for exploring and it takes you up to Montjuic which has good views of the city and sea.

• Options

I agree with Folsomdoc when he mentioned how he might not have done the Montserrat tour if he had to do it on his own. Regarding Toledo, I guess we were just lucky the times we visited insofar as the crowds were not overbearing. We were fortunate both times to have local guides who had an uncanny ability to alter the sequencing of sites so as to avoid the crowds.

• Options

Thank you for great responses. Very helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file