Options

Any one affected by Delta’s announcement they were decreasing service to Maui?

Have Best of Hawaii Tour reservations for May 2024 and had gone ahead and reserved my flights as Delta had a daily direct flight from Maui to Atlanta which worked out great for us on our return after the tour ends. Recently Delta announced that due to recent fires in Maui and decrease in tourists they were decreasing their service to Maui. Shortly after this announcement I got a notification that there had been a change in my flight reservations. Upon checking sure enough the daily direct flights from Maui to Atlanta were dropped. We were rescheduled but there are 3 in our party and one was rescheduled with a connection thru Seattle and the other two of us connect In LAX. I was able to contact Delta they they were finally able to get all 3 of us on same flight with the connection through Seattle.

Comments

• Options

Raymond - Travels best laid plans gone awry. 😛

At least you were able to get everyone on the same routing.

There is a small chance that they will add the non-stop back in before you fly. I would monitor it.

I say that because I saw an article that said Maui is now begging for tourists. How true that is and what impact it would have is yet to be seen.

• Options

We are going in the fall. It should be interesting to see what will be available.

• Options
    edited September 2023

I forgot to mention, Delta never had many ”Direct” flights to and from east coast cities to Maui. Some are seasonal. The best solution is to ensure you fly home from OGG via HNL. That way you can be “almost** assured you will have a wide body with lay-flat seats.(east-bound mostly on 767-300) Delta uses Hawaiian AL to get from OGG to HNL for wide body Delta ONE flights and Hawaiian has so many flights per day it is (was) easy (and sometimes cheaper) to book a R/T DELTA ticket to/from an eastern city and HNL and book one of the many Hawaiian inter-island flights from OGG to HNL. Check it out. You will have separate tickets but it may be possible to convince Hawaiian to transfer your bags to Delta even though not on a Delta ticket since they do it all the for codeshare flights.

Our 2024 Sep/Oct flights are too far out so I must use earlier constructive dates which looked good as of last week.

Frankly, if you have ever been to Hawaii, Lahaina, Mauai not that great- some old buildings, an old tree, A Bubba Gumps tourist trap restaurant and bar (actually quite good), tons of souvenir sops, etc. The Tauck hotel is quite far from it. There is just as much to see and do in the Kaanapali area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file