Options

Refrigeration for Medication

Hi, Both my husband and I have medications that need to be refrigerated. I am not concerned on the days we are at a hotel, but on days that we fly, I am wondering what any of you have done? If we flew and then went directly to our hotel, I wouldn't expect there to be an issue. But, if we fly and then spend hours on tour before getting to the hotel, is there any way for our medications to remain at a proper temperature, especially with the warm conditions in these countries? Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Options

I would speak to your pharmacist, doctors and Tauck about this. What does the informational about your medicines say in the enclosed information. How unstable does the medication really get with temperature changes. What are the top limits?
    There is no way you can avoid having your drugs be in unstable conditions for some of this tour. Taking a small cooler and ice packs with you might help. What have you done before on travel? Would a different tour be better for you?

• Options

Perhaps a thermos bottle with some ice or a small ice pack.

• Options

Wow! That is putting a lot of pressure on every one involved. Some of the hotel refrigerators may not have optimal temperature and some may not have extra space. There will be transit delay........ Is a a refrigerator on the bus from one hotel to another?Hopefully they don't have to transit through Heathrow, they would absolutely not tolerate any liquid (OOps, meling ice, melting ice)

• Options

I wonder if the TD has the time and resource to find the nearest pharmacist or primary care doctor in Vietnam. I went with Tauck on Essence of Japan this year and forgot to pack one simple over the counter medication. No pharmacy in Japan has it in stock !

• Options

Some TDs will bend over backwards to help you and others will do nothing above and beyond.

• Options

Amazon has multiple items for this purpose. Look for cool pack for medicine for travel. How long these will work for I do not know.

• Options

We did this tour in 2019. There are 5 flights on this tour. You do not always go straight to the hotels after flights , as I recall. This is a busy trip. IMHO, the only way you can ensure your meds being cold is by carrying a little lunch box type cooler with you.

• Options

I know insulin and some of the biologics have to stay cold, I can’t recall anything else. I really think speaking to your doctor and pharmacist would be the first port of call before you book a vacation to an area that is always hot and humid, there is no cold season. Does your doctor know you are planning to go? There are so many other places that may be more suitable.

• Options

Insulin can be stored at room temp for up to a month.

• Options

BKMD, I really can’t rely on my hubby anymore. He’s supposed to be the drug no all and I can’t remember about insulin!

• Options

I am so appreciative that so many of you responded! Thank you all so much. Yes, my doctor and pharmacist both know we are taking this trip and provided me with some options, including being off the medicine for the 10 days I am concerned about. I wanted to try to stay on it but will have to see what seems to work best with the trip. Thanks again, and happy traveling!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file