Options

Update on Safety and Security - Jordan & Egypt

Has anyone recently (since the Hamas attack on Isreal) completed the Jordan & Egypt trip?
I would really appreciate a "Person on the Ground" view of the current Security and Safety.
My entire family (4 of us) are booked for the Nov 17th tour and I am very concerned.
I know the best advice is to "Trust Tauck" and rely on them to cancel if needed, but I would really appreciate the perspective of anyone who have recently completed this trip!

Comments

• Options

Yes, look under the other entries for Egypt. There have been postings from people there now.

• Options

In the distant past I flew for Saudi Arabian Airlines for a couple years so I know a little about the area. I think it is unlikely that Jordan nor Egypt will get involved in this scrap. That being said, I would not wander about outside of the Tauck umbrella.

• Options

We were booked on the tour leaving
    November 19. We went with the thought - if we were not already booked would we book a tour there now? We decided that we would not. We cancelled and are fine with our decision. Everyone must make their own decision and we wish all safe travels.

• Options

Jowell, did you lose your insurance premium or Tauck deposit?

• Options

Tauck has changed the availability for the rest of 2023, and for the two tours starting Jan 14, 2024, to call for details.

• Options

Clearly, people are canceling. I would suggest it would be a great time to visit, far less crowds!
    Of coarse this may mean flights being cancelled for lack of customers. Those still going might want to check their flights are still there.

• Options

British we lost our insurance payment but got back what we had paid to Tauck for our tour.
    Looks like we will lose our flight payment too.

• Options

We felt it would not be the relaxed trip we had planned for.
    We would be filled with stress and anxiety which is not what we were looking for.

• Options
    edited October 2023

You made the right decisions for you Jowell! Maybe you can get a voucher for your flights?
    Egypt has never been one of the safest places to visit or tourists would not have armed guards with them.

• Options

Thank you British.
    We were prepared for normal safety concerns but now is, unfortunately, a new anxiety level.
    We will continue to work with our airlines and hope we will at least get a voucher.

• Options

John, we are also on the Nov 17 trip. We are following groups currently there now on a Facebook chat group. They say everything is fine, no issues, and if it wasn't for the news they wouldn't know any different. Everyone says it's been the best vacation so far.

• Options

kbcatc
    John_Nabholz

It's a great tour. Like British said, you may have the advantage of less crowds as was the case when I visited in December 2021(as COVID travel restrictions were being lifted). You may really have a win-win situation. No crowds, no heat and no people in the background of your photos...Enjoy!

• Options

You surely had a far better experience for not canceling!

• Options

Excellent article. British: you are so well informed and that is an attribute.

• Options

Jowell et al.
    We are booked on tour beginning February 11, 2024. We will decide to go or not by December 1. If we cancel, we were told we could apply the amount of the Tauck insurance to another trip we have scheduled to Japan next October. Egyptair would give refund, less $200 penalty per person.

• Options

I would not hesitate to travel in Egypt. As AlanS said, they really need tourists and I expect they will do whatever is needed to protect the tourists. The cop with the pistol that travels with you is not going to protect you from terrorists. What will protect you is the cops who arrest anyone who even seems like a terrorists, long before you get there.

Go and enjoy the historical sites.

• Options

We are on the Feb 11 tour too. Egypt air as well. We are glad we are flying a middle eastern carrier. Hopefully we will all get to go!

• Options

We have just gotten home after a very long journey returning form a fabulous and truly unique 13-day Tour of Jordan and Egypt, Petra to the Pyramids. Our TD was Dina a Austrian/Egyptian wonderful person. She was so knowledgeable, funny and meticulous that made all of us feel very safe and secure. The group which was originally 28 ended up being 12. 3 couples were from Seattle and were travelling together and the other three couples were travelling independently. It was great to have had a small group journey without having to pay the extra funds for it. It would be impossible to write about all of the great experiences but some that stand out are the mud bath/massage at the Dead Sea, Petra of course The Cartarats Hotel at Aswan, and yes, the river cruise on the Oberoi ship was just amazing. Cairo is unique and the experience of being next to the pyramids was amazing. I know that I wrote prior to embarking on this tour some hesitation given the current situation that is going on in the region, but we were so glad and happy that we decided to go as at in anytime or place or circumstance did, we feel afraid or threaten. Thank you, Dina, and the TAUCK team for making this a terrific experience.

• Options

Fernandoj- Glad you had a wonderful experience! We had Dina as our TD director on this trip a year ago and she was fabulous! Thanks for your review.

• Options

Question: After arriving at Amman airport, will Tauck agent meet us before the immigration? Or wait outside after we passed immigration? When and where do we fill out the immigration form? Thanks.

• Options

KenFu If I recall correctly, the Tauck rep met me before Immigration. They took care of everything (regarding presenting the documents to the agents). It was seamless.

• Options

Thank you PureLuxury!

• Options

Our experience at Queen Alia International Airport in Amman in 2022 was the same as that experienced by PureLuxury. Easy peasy.

• Options

Thank you Fernandoj for sharing your experience, we leave this weekend! looking forward to it!

• Options

erikaph Great Memories...and it appears as there were no crowds (same as in 2021)...thanks for sharing

• Options

Wow, Petra was much busier in April when we went.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file