Options

Coming in a day early. Would you suggest starting Lisbon or Madrid.

Considering this tour for 2025 and always fly in a day early when going on a Tauck tour. Wanted to hear your opinion on rather I should start the trip in Lisbon or Madrid as to which one you believe has the best sites, food, atmosphere etc that I can take advantage of before the actual tour starts.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 12

Lisbon and Madrid are both very vibrant cities rich in history, culture and cuisine. It all depends on what your interests are and how you plan to spend your free time. Spending just one day in either is not enough in my opinion. No matter your decision, you are bound to have a wonderful time. It's one of our favorites tours.

• Options

We started in Lisbon and I don't regret it. The only thing I do regret was only adding 1 extra day. If we'd had more we could have taken a day trip to Sintra. Both cities have plenty of sites to see. Madrid felt a bit more grand. If I was going to go.back to either it would probably be Lisbon.

• Options

Personally, I would choose to spend time in Lisbon. It's a smaller more walkable city with many areas to explore. The azuelos are wonderful and the designs on the pavement are worth seeing. The various districts such as the Alfama are unique. You can go to a fado performance.

To me, Madrid is a big city. However, if you are interested in museums, there are three very good ones very close to the Westin which have top notch well known artwork such as Guernica.

If you have more time, you could add extra days at both ends of the tour.

• Options

Choose Madrid if you are looking for great museums; otherwise, stay in Lisbon. It is charmingly different from other capitals. I agree that an extra day in Lisbon is not enough. We also spent two nights in Sintra before a tour (as I recall about a 30 min train ride from Lisbon) and loved it.

• Options

Lisbon all the way, IMHO! We loved Spain, but Madrid was our least favorite city in Spain. This is an awesome tour! The itinerary has changed a bit since we went, but we really loved it.

• Options

Agree with all of the above and overall I would also choose Lisbon. I did love the Prado and seeing Guernica in person at the Reina Sofia. Overall Madrid is a more elegant city and has nicer hotels but as far as charm I loved Lisbon. The maritime museum is excellent regarding the history of navigation and I also loved the explorers' monument. It is quite sobering how Portugal was all over the map in 1600. A lot changed in only 200 years. The food is excellent and relatively economical and make sure to eat a Pasteis de Belem, one of the best pastries on the planet.

• Options

Lisbon, no question.

• Options

Would definately choose Madrid. There is so much to enjoy from palaces to parks and amazing FOOD, flamenco, etc.
    You can do nothing or keep busy all the time and be happy all day.
    Either way you can’t go wrong. Enjoy.

• Options

Two days early in Lisbon, and then an extra day at the end in Madrid!

• Options

If I had to choose one, it would be Lisbon. We did a great walking food tour with Devour tours that also offered a nice historical introduction to the city and sites. We also stayed am extra day in Madrid. So much history to see there as well. As well as some great eats. Try to do a day on both ends of your trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file