Options

Medication

We’re going on the Wildlife Odyssey in May. Do we really need to travel with meds in the original containers?

Comments

• Options

I haven’t traveled with the containers for years now and never had a problem. I carry a copy of the meds taken from my online portal. At one time, I took photos of my medicine bottles and of one of the pills from each, but they were always out of date because the pharmacist gives me different generics all the time. I have never ever been asked to show my meds on any trip. So I’ll continual to take the risk until I get arrested somewhere. I was in Botswana and Zimbabwe this past November.

• Options

I never ever have either after visiting 50 countries. Original containers take up much too much space.

• Options

The only issue you could possibly have is if you are carrying opioids. Even then it’s unlikely you’ll get questioned, but if you had a problem in the country, they might use the opioids to hold you. I’d carry the bottle if I was taking opioids.

• Options

We are going on that trip in September- we never carry meds in original containers. I hear the bags we are required to take are not large, so space is at a premium.

• Options

I have never carry meds in original containers, they take too much room.

• Options

Reference Mike’s mention of opioids… there are some meds available in the US that are not approved elsewhere. In countries that are more strict, it could be a problem. The only thing I have seen here on the forum in many years is someone who had supplements taken off them in Australia.

• Options
    edited March 1

In South Africa we went to the pharmacy and got Malaria meds without a prescription. My wife then asked for some melatonin and they said, "You need a prescription for that." Go figure :)

• Options

Thanks everyone-I’ve never traveled with the bottles of meds either, just wanted to make sure.

• Options

I’m sure you can find a pharmacy in Cape Town, but you are unlikely to ever see one anywhere else on this trip.