Options

Skipping Rome at start of trip.

We're thinking about doing the Rome, Sicily and Amalfi Coast trip in 2025. We have been to Rome many times but have never been to Naples. The tour starts in Rome for 2 nights then you take the train to Naples where you board the ship. Do you know if Tauck will let you skip Rome altogether and start in Naples? I'd rather have two extra nights in Naples than go to Rome again. Will they give you a credit for the Rome hotel? Thanks!

Comments

• Options

You should call Tauck and find out.

• Options

I have seen in past brochures the option to take the cruise portion only of a tour with pricing adjusted accordingly. Confirm with Tauck if that is an option for this tour.

• Options

Wow, never seen that option. Didn’t even knowTauck did Rome Sicily and the Amalfi coast. I think our very first tour was Rome, Capri and the Amalfi coast. I can see Tauck allowing you to skip Rome but still pay for it. If they can fill the tour with people who want to take the entire tour, then why would they complicate things. Perhaps you can report back if they allow you to let others know.

• Options

We did that tour back in 2018 - started in Rome and had a private visit to the Vatican Museum, which was very good and interesting. https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2018Sicily-01.htm

Had two tour directors - they were okay but not the best we've had with Tauck.

I didn't think much of the Amalfi coast - just a lot of tourist. The last part of the trip was Sicily.

If you do this, Pompeii is just a bit south of Naples and is more interesting than Herculaneum. Highly recommend a day at Pompeii.

• Options

There are several trips that offer the ‘cruise only’ option. The Douro is one of them.