Options

What To Do With Carry On Luggage on the Rhone River Cruise

I've verified with Tauck that on Day 12 of the Rhone Riverboat Cruise (going North) we need to be off the riverboat by 9am but won't take the train to Paris until 2pm. Tauck will not handle storage for carry ons during that time. Ours consist of heavy electronics and a cpap so we don't want to walk around Lyon carrying it.

In checking France's train site I've learned that there is luggage storage at one of the two train stations in Lyon. Does anyone know which station Tauck uses ? Also, where will the boat be docked . . . in the Southern part of the city by the Confluence Museum . . in old town?

Thanks! We don't want to sit for five hours but prefer to be out doing something in Lyon. We've been there before but didn't get to see everything and we really like the city.

Comments

• Options

I think it would be prudent to all Tauck, a very valid question to be answered.

• Options

They want passengers off the ship by 9 or 10 am regardless of whether flying or taking a train. My assumption from past cruises is the cruise director will arrange a transport driver from the ship to the train station your train leaves from. Who arranged your travel from Lyon? Do you have the train number, time, seats, etc which should also include the station. All this needs to be known by you and Tauck before you leave the us. I've had them email or call me from HQ if they didn't know weeks before. The cruise director confirms everything when you join the cruise.

• Options

I probably didn't explain this very well, Claudia. We get off the riverboat in Lyon but the Tauck tour then takes the train to Paris and the group has two more days in Paris before the tour ends. Originally we were supposed to take the train and then have a panoramic tour of Paris before arriving at the hotel. I'm not sure if someone forgot to purchase the group's train tickets but with the 2pm departure we now are scheduled to go directly to the hotel and then the next day, which was supposed to be a free day, the group will have the :panoramic tour in the morning.

So, we have five hours to kill in Lyon, which isn't a bad thing, as long as we don't have to carry our heavy hand baggage everywhere.

• Options

Tauck will have arranged somewhere to leave your bags. They will have something up their sleeves. I would still call Tauck and ask for clarification to put your mind at ease.

• Options

Got it. This is the reverse of our Rhone cruise which started in Paris. All luggage will likely go by separate truck from the ship to the hotel. They will let you have extra bag tags for anything you want to go that route leaving you with whatever you want to keep for sightseeing. Your problem will likely be do you trust them with things like your cpap. I've never ever had anything lost or damaged trusting Tauck (unlike airline baggage handlers) but that's a decision you'll have to make. Again, talk to your cruise director.

• Options

Thanks everyone. I have checked with Tauck and the rep said we were on our own for hand luggage. - that they would not provide a space. So, I guess it boils down to finding out which train station to see if it has luggage storage/ how far away or just trust our stuff going with regular baggage , , , maybe do like at Christmas mailing - big signs saying" handle with care" and "fragile".

• Options

The office rep you spoke with may not have the updated details for this situation.The Tauck cruise directors will understand the logistics involved in taking a later train and will make appropriate arrangements for carry on luggage. As Claudia suggests, the luggage including carry ons will be transported by truck to the Paris hotel and will depart the ship by 9am. Please don't let this detract from your anticipation, it will all work out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file