Options

Assistance needed

We are travelling on our 17th trip and third African trip with Tauck but still have questions for our May 23 departure to Namibia. Given the duffle bag limit, we are wondering the dress formality of the welcome and farewell dinners? Did you have an opportunity after game drives in the afternoon to shower, relax before dinner? Remember our S. Africa trip was a run from the vehicle to the dining area, not a chance to clean up, on some evenings. Are there refrigerators in the accommodation; we have prescriptions which need to be cooled? If you left a suitcase at the first overnight, was it made available upon arrival at Omaanda Lodge or did you have to wait until the next day? The trip sounds wonderful and we look forward to hearing comments from the two groups completing the tour prior to our trip. Hope you had a great time on this trip.

Comments

• Options

My tour is the October 1, 2024 tour so I hope to have prior guests answer questions and give tips. I called Tauck a while ago about refrigerators in rooms and I think all but 1 lodge had them. I, too have to keep meds chilled especially in warm weather. I use a travel cooler from 4AllFamily and they have fast service. A bit larger/wider than a tennis ball can and I use a rechargeable small power bank that attaches to the lid via a USB to USB C cord(included). I plan to bring that with me and can use the cord to charge on the plane from/to the US. Just google 4AllFamily-they will answer your questions quickly.

• Options

317 engineer, I will keep your questions in mind and address them although we do not return from Epic Namibia until May 18, shortly before you depart. It is unlikely that I will be on this forum during our holiday.

• Options

Thank you to SandyFeet to provide feedback and tips as it is greatly appreciated. I am flying into Cape Town(my favorite city in the world) for 3 nights before my flight to Windhoek on September 30. I hope that the Windhoek airport has a "left luggage locker" area but likely not but if anyone can get information that is really helpful as if not, I will just leave a cheap carryon wheeled bag behind at the first Tauck hotel in Namibia and not look back. I know we are quite restricted with bags on this trip and with several medical equipment issues I need to pack carefully once I leave Cape Town!

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 27

317engineer Hello,
    So, I will try to be nice... :) I don't want to sound rude.
    For the $$$$$ we are paying to do this Namibia trip you can be sure, you'll have a refrig. or a staff members will get you a small one for your room, worst it can happen, they will let you go into their kitchen and use theirs... and the bar has one for sure :)

Now, dress code: safaris are casual, you want to be comfortable and remember the emphasis it's the experience and the animals.
    In this case...Namibia may be the most casual of all because the Terraine, the sand Dumes etc... and even though the lodges are fancy, people on Safaris are casual & adventures, and for them to be out of their social routine and the dress code pressure implies, itself freedom! .

I would advise to take a cocktail type of attire for women and a nice sport jacket for men with long pants and polo short for the lodge at dinner time after the day activities and also for both welcome and farewell dinners, no need to be fancy, no need to show jewelry... leave those at home, you lose any and it will ruin your entire trip.

Now, knowing Tauck's demographic, I know most clients like to eat as they get to the hotel, lodge, cruise etc... and then proceed to their rooms.
    If you are like me... You could always book a reservation if require for dinner a little later after your arrival, so you can shower and dress up as you wish or you can head to your room, refresh and go for dinner, no one will force you to do anything their way, it's your Vac. enjoy and do as you wish.

These are the Lodges- you can always contact them and request or inquire about the frig.- I have already booked my Spa treatments direct, the staff will contact you.
    Enjoy

https://store.gondwana-collection.com/accommodation/the-weinberg
    https://naturalselection.travel/camps/kwessi-dunes/
    https://www.guestreservations.com/strand-hotel-swakopmund/booking? msclkid=98c2a3b8aed71863251ac594f6a2a200&ctTriggered=true
    https://www.ongava.com/lodge/ongava-lodge
    https://www.zannierhotels.com/omaanda/en/

• Options

THE WEINBERG response:
    Yes, our rooms are equipped with small refrigerators that can be used to store medicines or other perishable items.

• Options

I’ve no clue what your hotels are like but is there a possibility they have buffet dinners? I’m sorry, you will never see me in cocktail wear or my husband in a jacket on that tour, it’s just Namibia, you don’t even go to civilized places like CapeTown at the beginning or end. It’s a safari in the least populated country by size on the planet.

• Options

Thanks for the responses, very helpful. Will check out your cooler Jill, I use a large Frio cooling wallet which works for me. Any contribution will be appreciated Sandy Feet, even on the 18th, the day before we leave. Packing is always an adventure and if you are able to pack the Namibia duffle, for days 2 to 9, with a sports jacket, you are the winner mil. Have been on the lodges sites, they all appear to be ideal for this adventure - ENJOY.

• Options
    milmil
    edited April 27

317engineer, you would be surprised... what a women can pack. and by the way, the lodges do offer complementary laundry service.
    Enjoy!

• Options

To 317engineer,
    I have used the 4AllFamily Voyager set for Australia, Germany and domestically on long car trips. The biogel freezer pack will go through TSA security in the US. Depending on weather,I can keep my insulin cool enough for about 48 hours ish. Other medications may need more robust cooling though. For optimum cooling it is wise to find a way to put the biogel pack in a freezer at the hotel or lodge while you use a hotel fridge to keep meds cool before flying if you do not have the USB lid. I have had no issues with the special USB lid and it shows the temperature inside with a display. That USB lid prevents freezing of meds while keeping them appropriately cool during travel.
    But if you do not have access to a USB plug on the plane then it is wise to also bring the biogel freezer pack. Tauck hotels were great when I did the Grand Australia and New Zealand tour in Jan/Feb 2023. The hotel concierge was very careful with it. But do bring a Ziplock bag with name and room number so the staff will keep it safe. The smaller hotels and lodges do a great job keeping items safe and secure.
    The Voyager set from 4All family easily takes 4 or more "pens" but I was able to put 2 pens(which were backup in case my insulin pump failed) and up to 3 various insulin vials in it.
    After 55 years of Type 1 diabetes I always need "redundancy" to stay healthy and safe while traveling. No complications either!

I do not recommend the new product from 4AllFamily which is called the Pioneer. Way too heavy, bulky and the included battery did not work reliably.
    I am getting better at packing light these days but I always pack an amount of "older clothes" that still look okay and then I donate to various lodges and that leaves me more space for lovely souvenirs along the way.
    That is my way to make an easy impact to help those in need!