Options

Excursion recommendations

We’re on the trip starting July 27. Anyone have recommendations for the excursions for the day in Akureyri and the Godafoss?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 22

Assuming you are speaking about the following excursions

If that's the case then I was perplexed about this choice when when we did Iceland because I wanted to do both the Myvatn Nature Bath and Godafoss. I picked one of them, but them when I arrived in Reykjavik, the TD wanted everyone to solidify their excursion choices.

Well it was my good fortune that they had created another choice that included both Godafoss and Myvatn. Both were wonderful. Hopefully you don't have to pick.

For us the Myvatn experience was a Tauck only experience, whereas when we did the Blue Lagoon later in the tour it was with hundreds of people.

Godafoss, if you're a waterfall person, was an amazing visit as well. There is a decent gift shop here as well.

For me, up against these two I would never consider the third alternative.

Here are a few pictures.

• Options

Blue lagoon still closed isn’t it?

• Options
    edited April 23

Here's what the Blue Lagoon says about whether they're open or not. Seems that it can be hit or miss.

https://www.bluelagoon.com/seismic-activity

[And just a note about the Blue Lagoon. It's waste water from a nearby geothermal electric generation station. If that plant ever shuts down, the Blue Lagoon will be in trouble. But it's such a tourist attraction that I doubt that will ever happen.]

• Options

Friends of ours went to a less touristy place which was much quieter but I’ve no idea what it was called. Maybe Tauck will offer an alternative. We loved the experience of the Blue lagoon

• Options

When we went the Myvatn Nature Bath experience was much better than the Blue Lagoon because it was a Tauck only activity.

• Options
    edited April 23

I agree the Blue Lagoon can be pretty crowded. Additionally, the year I went, they took us to the Blue Lagoon "on the way to the airport", meaning we went there in the morning of the day we were to depart, without going back to the hotel. The problem is that the Blue Lagoon requires you to completly shower (hair and all) before entering the lagoon. Many of the women in the group would not go because they did not have the things necessary to fix their hair before getting on the airplane. Our luggage was already at the airport.

One of them commented, "You can tell it wasn't a woman who planned this excursion."

[I think (hope) Tauck changed that for later tours.]

• Options

Mike - In 2021 the Blue Lagoon wasn't on the way to the airport.

• Options

Myvatn was bliss. It’s where the locals go. The Blue Lagoon is a tourist trap but still a good experience. Myvatn was only open to Tauck guests.

• Options

Has anyone done the Lava and Viking Adventure excursion on Day 2? Any comments/reactions?

• Options

JanP - We did the Marine Life, Birding Expedition as opposed to the Lava and Viking Adventure.

We enjoyed the Marine Life … excursion. You rode a bus to where you got on a boat that took you around a small island seeing an assortment of wildlife - various birds (puffins of course), sheep, etc. Along the way the crew trawled along the sea bottom and dumped the catch onto tables on the ships deck. You see an abundance of different sea creatures. In addition, the crew shucks fresh scallops which were part of the catch and served them to anyone that wanted to try them. I did and enjoyed them. My wife and niece passed on this opportunity. I can post some pictures if you so desire.

Upon completion of the boat trip portion of the excursion you had a small amount of time to walk around the town where you caught the boat before getting on the bus to return to the ship. I believe we sampled some seafood treat at a food truck parked in the area before walking around a bit.

• Options

Our visit was also on the way to the airport. Itinerary has changed since we went. Sam got a far superior tour in my opinion

• Options

I'm glad you posted the question, Kathryn. We are on the cruise starting July 6, and were torn with this choice. Myvatn seemed interesting, but we really wanted to see Godafoss, so picked that choice. It would be great if we actually get the option Sam described.

• Options

Thanks everyone.
    Sam….really appreciate your comments and pictures especially the men wearing jeans…my husband is a Levi’s guy and it made him happy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file