british weather

I noticed some comments about British weather. I live in the USA but spent 43 years in England, actually 3 in Scotland of these. The best time to visit England is May, June, July, the evenings are long and light, the green and gardens are at their best. I can never remeember having to wear a coat in the summer. Remember that early mornings and evenings can be cooler, and as most anywhere in the world it's good to wear easily removeable layers. It's not good to be travelling on any of the "Bank Holidays," usually on Mondays. These are Good Friday, Easter Monday, Two Mondays in May, one at the beginning one at the end of May, End of August, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years day. Think that's it. School children generally have a few days off school in February, Two weeks over Easter, One week in May, 6 weeks in summer, usually last weekin July to first week in September. A week about mid October, two weeks over Chritmas. Touristy places could be busy then, but most Brits travel abroad a lot, they are probably spending two or three weeks in Disney or California. If anyone can correct me on any recent changes to the system, please correct me.
Rainfall---OK no jokes please. England generally has about 32 inches of rain a year, but it tends to drizzle rather than pour, a lot fewer thunderstorms than we have in the US. The temperature ranges are far less extreme in summer and winters than most of the US experiences. take an umbrella, but there is a chance you may never need it.
Fog, England experiences very little fog anymore, forget your old movies, since it became against the law to burn coal and most have central heating and there is little industry left in England, it is not a problem.
I went to London last August for the first time in many years and we had no rain and walked about in thin clothing. It is quite strange to see all the coffee shops now, springing up everywhere, far more restaurants and much better food. We went into an Italian restaurant but the waiters who were not Italian, but maybe east European, could not speak even the most basic English.

Comments

• Thanks. The first trip I took to the UK was in May and the best yet. So I tend to agree with you. Although I did spend a week in Scotland then and had one sunny day. I decided to leave the Glasgow area due to the rain. It cleared after I got to Carlisle. Most of the rest of what you said was also sound. I plan to have an umbrella this time as it was so wet the last time which was in August 2008. I'll get it right one of these trips.
  • Everything I read before our 7 July, 2013 trip told me to be ready for all contingencies- good advice.

I'd seen photos of cold, wet, and miserable people attending the Edinburgh Tatoo and iffy weather elsewhere so took more warm clothes than needed. But we were extremely fortunate to have just the opposite experience- it was beautiful and sunny the entire two weeks, not a drop of rain and no fog! The only negative heard- maybe too warm, especially at some of the non-air conditioned hotels! They actually had to break out table fans at the Langdale in the Lake District! During the day I mostly wore shorts and short sleeve shirts and I never wore the two sweaters or the long sleeve shirts I had packed. The previous month it was just the opposite.
  • Been living in England for the past 73 years so I guess we just wait and see what happens. Last year, for instance, we had a terrible few months early Spring followed by brilliant Spring sunshine although too late for many farmers to get on the land to plant after the rain, then more wet, then a scorching summer followed by a wet Autumn and as you have probably read in the press terrible storms around Christmas.
    Generally, as mentioned above, May, June, July are generally good..........but how else do we maintain our "Green and Pleasant Land" than with the occasional soft refreshing rain. Remember the torrents during our Queen's Jubilee celebrations?
    I think the watchword is UNPREDICTABLE but we just accept and get on with things. The good thing is that during rain in the summer it at least stays relatively warm so need only waterproofs not winter thickness.
  • Richardb wrote:
    Remember the torrents during our Queen's Jubilee celebrations?

I do indeed. I kept hoping the dear Lady had worn her thermals. Even her shawl didn't seem much help against the prevailing elements. Shame I couldn't get hold of a tardis to send her some of our weather. It's a nasty 38.5C (headed to 43) in Melbourne now with that pattern set to last the week. I think we could all use some English weather just now, Richard! ;))

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the notes about British weather! I'm sure it'll all come in handy to other travelers.

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file