Options

Classic Italy Trip Beginning May5th

I'll be on this trip with my mom and my aunt. This is the 2nd Tauck tour for me and the third for them. We are arriving a day early with the hopes of visiting Capri. Can't wait! I'll be journeying from Minneapolis where it seems like the winter is neverending
Any tips on packing? How much does the weather vary from Amalfi to Venice?
-Kris

Comments

• Options
    I went in Sept. Was very warm in Almafi and just warm in Venice. Was a bit cool for our time in Cirque Terre. Was a great trip. I have done 10 now and this was at the very top.
  • Options
    Thanks, Crackers. Any recommendations for the trip?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    crackers54 wrote:
    I went in Sept. Was very warm in Almafi and just warm in Venice. Was a bit cool for our time in Cirque Terre. Was a great trip. I have done 10 now and this was at the very top.

Crackers- Thanks!

I have been to Italy quite a few times, but that was many, many years ago and mostly to Naples for just a few days at a time (I traveled on one of my Uncle's large steel yachts- aircraft carrier :) ). You have confirmed my memories that the weather in Sept/Oct was still very pleasant.

I was thinking about going this year- most small group dates are booked but it looks like a few seats are open on the 18 Sept and 2 Oct departures. Unfortunately, we have just too much going on this year. We'll likely reserve spots on a Sept 2015 departure.

A few things I would like to do if we go a few days early and are able to squeeze them in: Take a local train from Sorrento up the coast to Pozzuoli, a little town just north of Naples- interesting sites there include Solfatara, a small volcano caldera still venting sulphurous steam, the ruins of the Macellum of Pozzuoli (as known as the Temple of Serapis), Roman baths, and the Flavium Amphitheater, a small colosseum, actually 3rd largest in Italy, that still has the original raised arena floor. When I visited many years ago it was in a much better state of preservation than its big brother in Rome. Hopefully the earthquakes of the 80's that ravaged the whole area, didn't do any significant permanent damage to it. I would also like to take a ferry or hydrofoil out to Capri (or Ischia), take the funicular from Marina Grande up to the town of Capri, sightsee, eat lunch, and maybe take the chair lift to the top of the island. I hope the number of people visiting should be less at that time.

Has anyone else done either of these side trips in the days before the tour starts?
  • Options
    Thanks, AlanS. We're traveling a day early with plans fora day trip to Capri..

I'd be interested I connecting with anyone else who's on this trip..
  • Options
    KMHynes wrote:
    Thanks, Crackers. Any recommendations for the trip?
    I recommend getting Rick Steves guide book on Italy. It was a great help on choosing some of the restaurants I went to. Two most memorable was a place I did lunch in Rome and lunch in Assisi. I, also, recommend downloading his app. I used it to know what I saw in both the Sistine Chapel and the Roman Forum, also, used it on the walk back to the hotel.

If you would like to do the Roman Forum can get the combo ticket the TD gets to do the Coliseum. There were a bunch of us that wanted to do it and we got in for nothing doing it as a group to get in that afternoon.

Rome cost me nothing but for lunch and a supper. I did the Forum for free and walked back to hotel to see the Trevi fountain and the pantheon.

I can't wait to go back. Planning it in spring of 2016. I will be doing the Northern Italy tour with a week by train added on by my self. I loved Umbria and hope to go back to some of the small towns in that area.

I loved Venice. I really explored it on the free day. I took an early morning walk before crowds and in the afternoon got lost in areas the tourists don't go. Ask for directions in hotels if you can't find your way.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    KMHynes wrote:
    Thanks, AlanS. We're traveling a day early with plans fora day trip to Capri..

I'd be interested I connecting with anyone else who's on this trip..
    Capri was the only disappointing thing I did. I do recommend taking the boat tour around the island that includes the blue grotto. That was right across from the ferry boat drop off. Make sure you take the Jetboat to and from. Ignore the ferry. I made the mistake of getting round trip tickets not realizing how late the return ferry was. The Jetboat was thru out the day just have to know which dock to be at. The venicular is to the right of ferry drop off and you need to get tickets before you get inline at the same place you can purchase the jetboat tickets.

When you get to the top head to the right if you want lunch with a view. I ate at a nice restaurant. I did get a map from the TI but was not any help at all and walked up a long hill which was interesting to see how they live but did not have it in me to walk far enough to see what was up there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file