Internet access for iPad mini

Can anyone tell me if they had service for their iPad (mini)?

I just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me that I can't get service in Tanzania for my iPad. Verizon told me I would have to rent something to have service in Tanzania. I have read a lot of things thru the forum about the trip, but have not seen anything about additional equipment, services, etc needed for Internet service for the iPad. ( I am all set for my phone).

Thanks.

Comments

• We were on a different Africa tour, and several members of our group were using iPads in the hotel lobbies where wifi was available (some free, some for a small fee).

I am not an expert, but it seems to me that if you are accessing the Internet via the hotel's wi-fi, you are not using your Verizon data plan.

For instance, at home I have wifi, at Starbucks I use their wifi, but if I am on the Internet riding in a car, I am using my ATT data plan.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this!
  • Yes, I used my ipad while in Kenya and Tanzania but the service was spotty. It is usually pretty good in the lobbies of the hotel but I also got service in my room but I don't remember which ones. Hope that helps
  • edited August 2014
    Ilene and Susan sound about right.

Verizon is talking about cellular phone and data- not Wi-Fi. Your iPad must be Wi-Fi capable- they all come that way. We didn 't activate cell data plans on either of our last two trips (England and Alps) but the Wi-Fi on my laptop and my wife's iPad worked just fine when/where there was a free wireless internet "hotspot" (e.g. Starbucks) or other wireless source (hotels). About two years ago Tauck started including free Wi-Fi on most, if not all, of their tours (in the hotels where Wi-Fi is available.) For your tour "Before You Go" states: "Complimentary basic Internet where available in hotel rooms; service levels are not guaranteed."

Just don't expect screaming fast internet and like Susan said service can be spotty.

According to their respective web sites:

Lake Duluti Serena - has Wi-Fi
    Tarangire Safari Lodge - has Wi-Fi - in the lobby
    Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge - has Wi-Fi
    Serengeti Serena Safari Lodge - has Wi-Fi
    Kirawira Tented Camp - supposedly has Wi-Fi
    Zanzibar Serena Inn - has Wi-Fi
  • Thanks. That makes more sense. The person I was talking to at verizon was very confusing and continuously put me on hold to answer my questions as she needed to ask others .
  • Drboston wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if they had service for their iPad (mini)?

I just got off the phone with Verizon and they told me that I can't get service in Tanzania for my iPad. Verizon told me I would have to rent something to have service in Tanzania. I have read a lot of things thru the forum about the trip, but have not seen anything about additional equipment, services, etc needed for Internet service for the iPad. ( I am all set for my phone).

Thanks.
    I just came back from this trip. Free wifi available at all hotels. I used my mini iPad all the time. It is not the sort that has to have a wifi plan, it's the basic one. But I can still use it for texting for free and could everywhere there. Some of the hotels only had internet in reception areas, some in rooms, think the last two hotels were the best, I mention internet in some of my hotel reviews in an earlier post
  • Hi Drboston,

Wifi is free to use wherever we were able to make sure it was available. AlanS's post is an excellent guide to how the internet works while on this trip -- thank you, Alan!
    As far as a data plan goes, I would advise you to be very cautious as to when and how you use data on your phone/iPad/other devices while on tour in Africa; it can be expensive to do something as simple as checking your email over a cellular connection there. Your cell phone company will be able to get you exact rates and expectations of service better than I can!

I hope this helps!
    -Tim
  • I just returned from the Tanzania/Zanzibar trip. Yes, there was free wifi at every stop, but a word to the wise before you get your expectations up -- it won't be like home! In some of the stops (Arusha, Tarangire, Kirawira), the wifi is only available in the common areas of the hotel, not in the rooms. And because of that, everyone will be there during the downtime using it at the same time and the service will be very slow. You will not be able to send photos via text or download large documents via email. Forget streaming movies! If you want to send photos, the best plan is to stay up late or get up early and beat the crowd. The stops that have wifi in the room are somewhat better, but still not quite like home. Another problem is charging all your devices. There are not as many outlets as you might expect, so you may get an adapter with extra USB plugs. Also, in Tarangire, there is no charging in your room at all, so everyone must charge all devices (phones, cameras, ipads etc) at the lobby charging station. It's quite hysterical -- I took a photo and it's one of my favorites to show off here at home. 40 or more devices all charging between 6 and 10 pm before the electricity goes off for the night! I would suggest investing in one of those charging bricks and bringing it if you feel insecure about your lack of ability to charge at will. My husband brought a big one and it was very handy.