Options

Clothing Suggestions

We are taking the Canyonlands tour at the end of Sept. Everything we read says casual dress, but does that mean for dinner/evenings as well? Is casual slacks and T-shirt/blouse? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Apart from the hotels on the first and last nights, the hotels are lodges, which are less than the usual Tauck standards because they are chosen for their very convenient and scenic locations. No need to dress up for these. It will get chilly in the evenings, and early mornings, especially if you want to get up early for the lovely colors at the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon at that time, definitely worth doing. Have a great time
  • Options
    Still, I will never cease to be amazed at the level of "dress down…ness" in the principal dining rooms of the grand lodges in US national parks. And if nothing else in the universe, surely the Grand Canyon deserves the monicker. Even the chefs who toil in these iconic lodges deserve the respect of their diners. Surely? Above grubby clothes and dirty boots? Surely?
  • Options
    Yes Judy I agree "NO Grubbs"!! I went in the summer when it was hot and most changed into fresh very casual clothing for dinner. In late Sept. it will be much cooler so slacks would be fine. They don't have to be dress slacks. I don't think anyone on my trip brought dresses. The last dinner in Vegas was a nice pair of capris and most had a sparkly dressy top to go out in Vegas after dinner. You will love this outdoors trip.
  • Options
    Yes, our wonderful National Parks (at least those in the west) are very casual. People are there to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. That's the whole purpose of our national park system. Preserving and enjoying these natural wonders. In an era where we worry about wild fires and inadequate funding, dressing up for dinner doesn't even register a blimp on the worry meter.

If you want to honor the Grand Canyon, join it's association or buy something in one of the many park gift shops. Many of the other parks have the same sort of nonprofit.

And wherever you go, remember these old and wise words for all travelers, "si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi" (“if you should be in Rome, live in the Roman manner; if you should be elsewhere, live as they do there”).

• Options
    True enough. But there are some situations where I prefer to retain a little decorum. ;)
  • Options
    So you have the right to dress to your preferences but don't extend that same right to others - at least not without making sure they know how inappropriate you feel their attire is. Gotta put em in their place.

People ask questions on this forum seeking help on what the appropriate attire is for a particular event or tour. No one wants to waste precious packing space on clothes they don't need. Giving them advice that runs counter to what is appropriate to the venue and/or Tauck's "What to Pack" list is neither helpful or positive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file