Seeing Switzerland from Basel

We are taking the Rhine and Moselle cruise next year southbound ending in Basel and are considering extending our stay in Basel. How much is there to see/do in Basel? How easy is it to see other parts of Switzerland using Basel as a base?

Comments

• Hi Claudia,

While your TD will be happy to make recommendations for you, simply looking at sites like Trip Advisor will help you make a preliminary decision for what you'd like to do. You can check here for some options.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • Thanx Tim. I had assumed that if we added a couple of nights to the end of our tour and stayed at the hotel(s) that Tauck uses, we would get transport to the airport. Would we also have a TD on hand as well? I know how helpful they are so that's a comfort. I also know the concierge can be helpful as well.

I guess what I was really asking was how easy is it to negotiate public transport from Basel to other sites in Switzerland. Was hoping someone on the forum had some experience. If it's all a little too complicated or there isn't much to see, then maybe it would be better to spend the extra time in Amsterdam where I know there's lots to do and it's pretty easy to get around.
  • You might go earlier than now planned and travel in a particular area of Switzerland depending on your interests, then rail to Basel. For our 20th wedding anniversary, I planned a circular rail trip for us for a week, only trains including the Glacier Express, the William Tell, a postal bus & 1 boat, included Lucerne, St. Moritz, Lugano, Interlaken & Meiringen, followed by a week Windstar cruise of French & Italian Rivieras. There is so much to see in Switzerland so I recommend not limiting yourself to only Basel. So much to see, the Jungfrau, Zermatt etc ! All those mountains !
  • The tour director usually disappears at the end of the tour. In fact on some of our tours the TD left before most of the group left for the airport. I am sure the concierge will help.
  • The Concierge at the Swissotel Le Plaza is brilliant … as you world expect of those proudly wearing the triple keys. Very knowledgeable about Basel and beyond. Wonderful public transport in Basel. The tram route covers most local sights.
  • Hi Claudia,

Normally, like British said, your TD leaves at the end of the tour. However, they'll be happy to recommend stuff, like I said, but I would definitely go to the concierge, like you said. And lastly, yes, if you stay at the hotel that Tauck uses and have us add the hotel nights, we will arrange the transport for you.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • We were on the Rhine & Moselle cruise that ended in Basel. The one day tour of Basel that Tauck offers on the last day covers the highlights of that town fairly well. I would suggest taking the train from Basel to Lucerne (runs every hour, not crowded, second class seating is fine) and spending four nights there. Your first day would simply be an orientation day. Look at weather reports and do the cruise/mountain/rail return on the best day. Another cruise to a different part of Lake Lucerne would be another day. Another day would be a walking (or riding) tour of the town.

Grand National Hotel is very nice ... try for a room with balcony overlooking the Lake. Lucerne is a very "walkable" city ... on the expensive side ... but beautiful.

Take the train from Lucerne to the Zurich airport for your trip home. Again, the train runs every hour and drops you off right at the airport. Very easy and very reliable.

Enjoy
  • Thanks for all the helpful responses. It pretty much confirms my suspicion that using Basel as a base to see the rest of the country probably isn't the best plan. Maybe we'll add a day at the Tauck hotel (seems to be 2 different ones now - hummmm) so that we can see both Lucerne and Basel. Would still like to do a longer trip to Switzerland since I'm 1/4 Swiss. Will just have to add it to the bucket list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file