Options

Lodging in the Lodges!

Our first Tauck Tour will be the Canyonland Tour this May. We have heard so much about the luxurious accommodations provided by Tauck, but see that on this tour, we stay in National Park lodges for 5 of the 7 nights. This doesn't seem particularly special to me; a lodge is a lodge. Is the food comparable to that in a fine hotel? I'm sure I can be easily convinced that where we are staying will be lovely in its own way; but right now I'm just a little skeptical. Any input from past Canyonland travelers ?

Comments

• Options
    In addition to any feedback you get here, I'd recommend looking at the websites for each of the 3 locations. You'll get more details, pictures, menus, etc. They each have a variety of dining choices from casual to "fine". However, fine is probably not the Savoy in London or comparable. Don't let that put you off. They are truly unique locations. If I didn't live in the SW and spend my time in the national parks camping, I'd go on this tour.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    We have done the Canyonlands independantly when our children were young teenagers and we have done the Tauck Canyonlands tour just a few years ago. If you want to be in the best location, you just have to stay at the lodges, nothing more to say, the accommodation and food and so on come very secondary to the scenery on these tours. I particularly remember when we were at Grand Canyon with the children, we were in quite a nice hotel but not near the Canyon you miss all the lovely morning and evening colors and a chance to just roll out of bed and walk by the canyon edge before the crowds and the heat start to make it a little less magic. Tauck state they provide the best available locations, that does not always mean just luxury, it might mean location location location! This is a great tour!
  • Options
    Like British, we have stayed in these lodges on our own, and can honestly tell you that they are just that, National Park lodges. They are not Westins, Four Seasons or Small Luxury Hotels of the World, but are clean and sufficient. When we planned this trip ourselves, we had to really work hard to get into each of the lodges (reservations are not easy to get) and were so glad that we did! When all of the day-trippers go home, you truly have "America's Greatest Gifts" all to yourselves! The views in the evening or early morning hours cannot be paralleled!
    The food is not Michelin starred, but, again, is quite sufficient and nicely prepared. For great lodge food, you will have to go to the Ahwahnee in Yosemite, but that is another trip for another time...
  • Options
    Like previously stated the location is the most important part of any hotel and by staying in the lodges and putting up with the lodges you can just walk out the door to the scenery. You are right at the rim of the Grand Canyon and steps away from views at Bryce NP. The mountains of Zion are your front yard. Yes our national park hotels are not luxurious like in Canada, but the were not built for the same purpose. Most of the time the food was good.

I have done several national park tours as well as Canadian Rockies and have not been disappointed.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your "testimonials" regarding staying in the lodges. I'm feeling more positive now about giving up the mint on the pillow and room service at midnight.....sounds as if the views and the "being in the middle of it all" far outweighs the luxury. So excited to see the Canyonlands!
  • Options
    At the Grand Canyon I rolled out of bed, threw on clothes to get pics of sunrise and then went to room for shower it was fantastic.
  • Options
    Crackers54, that sounds awesome!
  • Options
    Yes, truly awesome. The National Parks definitely are ..."America's best idea."
  • Options
    GammaR, You will love staying in the parks. You are right there and no traveling to see the beauty. As one person said, "Just hop out of bed and see the sunrise". Friends who have not taken Tauck were so envious when I told them we stayed right in the parks. This is a very casual trip and just enjoy the beauty of each park. You will love the trip.
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Yes, truly awesome. The National Parks definitely are ..."America's best idea."

And for any who haven't seen the Ken Burn's National Parks miniseries, subtitled with the quote above, do so NOW.
  • Options
    My husband and I are on the October 2nd departure and i must say I am a hotel snob but am so looking forward to staying in the parks. Location! Location! Location!
  • Options
    Hi GammaR, Going to be on the May 18, 2015 tour. Maybe we'll meet you there? But, anyway, just wanted you to know that when we looked at going to the Grand Canyon, we found that the lodges inside the park are booked up 3 years in advance. I really wanted to be able to get up in the morning to see the canyon by first light and in the evening before bed. So that was a big reason we decided to go with Tauck. Plus htis way we get all the info and experience of the Tauck Guides. If you've already gone I hope you had a 'Grand" time.
  • Options
    Just seein the awesome sunrise is something I can't wait to do...you can always find luxe,you can't always find incredible silent beauty!
  • Options
    We did this trip several years ago (after having gone to Ireland w/ Tauck & staying in castle) & I was a bit skeptical about the lodges too but I have to say for the most part I was really pleasantly surprised. As for the lodge locations you can't even imagine how "right in the heart of the parks" you really are until you arrive. It was something special to go for a walk in the evening or early morning before the crowds arrived, it almost felt like you had the park to yourself. Enjoy!
  • Options
    My wife and I will be going on the Canyon Lands tour later this year in September. Should we have hiking boots or will sturdy running/walking shoes be sufficient? Many thanks for your guidance.
  • Options
    Hi calgourmet,
    We took this trip several years ago & were fine in sneakers. We went down into the Grand canyon (OK-only a few hundred yards but that was enough for us:), hiked down into Bryce (did the shorter of the 2 trails) & did the medium trail (I'm sorry, I forgot the name) at Zion & wore sneakers for all three. In my opinion, save the space in your suitcase & go with sturdy sneakers w/ a bit of grip on the bottom. It's a great trip, I hope you love every minute like we did. Happy vacation!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file