Options

Budapest to Amsterdam July 2016

We are going on our first river cruise. We have travelled with Tauck 4 previous times. We are so looking forward to this one.

We will be on the Jewel for the July 16, 2016 trip. Hope other folks on this trip respond.

Joe and joyce

Comments

• Options
    Hi Joe and Joyce,

We will also be on this trip and cannot wait. This will be my first time to Europe, my first cruise of any kind and our first trip with Tauck. From everything we have heard and read, this is the absolute best way to travel! I am so glad to see someone else as excited as we are even though it's so far away.

We live in North Carolina, U.S.

Trying not to count the days yet,
    Lori and Frank
  • Options
    We are also on this cruise. First river cruise.
    At a risk of wishing my life away I am counting the days.....well at this stage, months
    We are from Melbourne Australia
    Kerrie and John
  • Options
    Hi Kerry and John, Lori and Frank:

Joyce and I are really anticipating this one. We have been to Germany and Bavaria 3 times with friends. In fact we are going to Germany in December and staying with those friends to visit the Christmas Markets.

As for Tauck's River Cruise, if it is anything like the previous tours Joyce and I have done with them, it will be fantastic. They really take care of their guests. Everything from food to tours and everything in between. We are going to book our air with them. This way we are sure of them picking us up etc. We are staying in Budapest 3 days prior to the trip. The hotel rate through Tauck was very affordable.

We need to meet up on the trip, either before in Budapest or on the Jewel.

I keep asking Joyce if it is time to get the suitcases down from the attic. So I guess I am counting the months and days.

Stay well.

Joe and Joyce
  • Options
    We are booked in Budapest for one night at the moment. Not sure when our flight will get in. We may extend to 2 or 3 nights. My bother in law is now also cruising with us. Talked him into it. I am sure the time will go quickly and before we know it we will be on the cruise. We must certainly meet up and have a toast to a good time
    Kerrie and John
  • Options
    Hi Kerrie and John:

We also have good friends of our traveling on the same River Cruise. They will be staying in Budapest for 3 nights as we are.
    We absolutely need to have a drink together, either at the hotel or on the River Ship (boat). I keep asking my wife if it is time to get the suitcases down. SO yes, we are counting the months and days.
    Cannot wait.

Joe and Joyce
  • Options
    Hi All:

Looks like this trip is booked. I think very little room left on the River Boat.

So,I know a few folks who are on this trip. If anyone else would like to respond, that would be great. It would be nice to kind of meet folks before the trip starts.

Joe and Joyce Bono
  • Options
    We are now in Budapest for 4 days before the tour. On a countdown now. Can't wait
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Frank and I are FINALLY starting to feel as if this trip is really happening (we booked in February of 2015). I so look forward to meeting everyone. We are arriving in Budapest a day early and I would love to know 2 things: first, where are people staying in Budapest? And second (and most important): what are the ladies planning for evening wear on the boat?

Can't wait....
    Lori
  • Options
    Hi Lori and Frank: You did not mention if you were on the MS Jewel on July 16th or some other date.
    Joyce and I are arriving 2days early and are staying at the Ritz Carlton. That is the hotel that Tauck booked us into for our pre-trip stay.
    There are lots of things to see and do in Budapest that is not covered in our trip. That is why we wanted to get there earlier.
    Hope to meet you there. Joe and joyce
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hi Joe,

Yes, we are on the MS Jewel on July 16th. We are staying at the Intercontinental, but only have one extra day. I envy the extra days!

Lori and Frank
  • Options
    Lakerr wrote:
    Hi Joe,

Yes, we are on the MS Jewel on July 16th. We are staying at the Intercontinental, but only have one extra day. I envy the extra days!

Lori and Frank

Are you sure your pre stay is at a Intercontinental hotel? The Tauck hotel is the Ritz Carlton. Are you aware that if you stay there, Tauck will pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel for free? unless Tauck has made other special arrangements with you. Are you using a travel agent or have you booked directly with Tauck?
  • Options
    Hi Lori and Frank and all the other folks on the July 16th trip on the MS Jewel.

When we originally booked the trip last year, the hotel in Budapest was the Elizabeth Park Hotel. It has since been purchased by Ritz-Carlton. So we are staying at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Budapest. Yes, we get all of the transfers since that is where Tauck booked us.

Unless there is a change in hotels, we are good to go and are so looking forward to this trip.

Joe and Joyce
  • Options
    Yes, we are at the Intercontinental. Our travel agent highly recommended it and I'm almost certain has taken care of transfers for us (I will be double checking on this!). We booked last year as well, and as we have never traveled with Tauck, didn't know anything about the hotel they used. Now that it is owned by the Ritz, who knows - maybe Frank will want to switch.

Thank you so much for the follow-up.
    Lori
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Hi Lori, Tauck seems to be using the RitzCarlton, it is $224 a night which will include breakfast the next morning, baggage handling tips and transfer from the airport at whatever time your flight gets in. I assume it will then also include your transfer to the boat. Perhaps others who have taken this tour can chip in here, as all my Tauck tours have been land based apart from one, but that one also included transfer to the pre stay hotel too.
    Have you been able to read the detailed itinerary of the tour on the Tauck website, you will find a tab that says 'Accomodations' and if you scroll down to the bottom you will see there is a hotel for Budapest, the Ritz C and one for Amsterdam, that is an Intercontinental. If you click on the Before You Go tab, you will also find lots of useful information, things like weather and temps for the time you are going and so on. You might want to chat with you travel agent to see if they have experience of bookings with Tauck. Or if they have some kind of thing going with them and I am misleading you, then I do apologize. Tauck is a great company to travel with. We have visited many countries with them.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    We've always stayed in the Tauck hotels but I believe this is how it goes if you stay in a different one. They will pick you up at the airport/train station and take you to your hotel assuming you've provided Tauck with you travel plans and hotel information.

From there to the boat you have 2 options that you have to pay for and arrange on your own. Go to the Tauck hotel with your luggage in time to go with the group staying there to the ship. If the cruise starts at 4 they'll probably all meet in the hotel a 3. Or go directly from your hotel to the ship at the cruise start time. If you get to the ship before start time, you're likely to have to hang out in the Panorama Lounge where the bar will be open and they'll have some snacks available.

There are definite advantages to staying in the Tauck hotel. The rate generally includes breakfast. The Tour Directors will be available at the hotel the morning of the cruise to answer questions, provide extra luggage tags, etc. Your luggage is picked up from your hotel room and taken directly to the boat. The extra tags are so that if you have a carry-on you are okay with them handling you can get it all ready with your other luggage, have breakfast, clear your room charges, then go sightseeing until time to meet back at the hotel. You arrive at the ship and find your luggage laid out on your bed ready to unpack. I'd have to have some really compelling reason to stay at a different hotel and forego this convenience.
  • Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for the information. It is clearly easier and worry-free to stay at the Tauck hotel. I have a strong feeling we will be changing hotels.
  • Options
    Hi Lori, just remember to be sure that Tauck know you are staying at the Ritz Carlton and they know which flight you will be arriving on so there is someone to pick you up at the airport----they usually ask that you tell them that information at least three weeks in advance. When you come back from your tour please put any useful information on the forum to help others. I look forward to some Tauck river cruises in the future, my next tour is the Botswana, Zambia, South Africa tour.
  • Options
    We are staying at the Mercure City for the first 3 nights. Then moving to the Ritz Carlton for the last night. Tauck are picking us up at the airport and taking us to the Mercure and then we make our own way to the Ritz Carlton. Lucky it's not far away.
  • Options
    We booked the Grand European River Cruise Oct. 2015 from Bucharest to Amsterdam departing July 7, 2016 on the Jewel. You folks will join us in Budapest on July 16. We are looking forward to meeting everyone on our continued journey!

Tom & Judy from Oklahoma, U.S.A.

Kerrie & John from Melbourne, we had a great trip to Australia in 2009 and loved Melbourne, especially The Colonial Tramcar Restaurant ride!!

This will be our first trip with Tauck. We have travelled numerous times with Globus, Trafalger, NAWAS, etc.
  • Options
    Tdk74055. Glad you enjoyed Melbourne. We love living here. We have been on the Tramcar restaurant and plan to go again one day. We are looking forward to the river cruise. I picked up our airline tickets yesterday so it really feels like the holiday is coming up soon. Look forward to meeting you all on board.
    Kerrie and John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file