The Jacket Dilemma

Because this is always a question for river cruises -- tonight at the welcome dinner I counted the number of men wearing jackets. There were 52 men. 10 were wearing jackets. This is a cruise where Tauck's packing list says jacket and tie are not required. What were the other men wearing? Everything from long sleeve dress shirts -- to short sleeve dress shirts -- to sweaters -- to polo shirts. The women wore a wide range of clothing as well. Nobody was very dressed up. It is sometimes hard to remember when you are at home packing -- but has been said many times in these boards -- nobody really cares what anybody else is wearing. Note to self -- remember that for your next trip!

Comments

• Good job Judy. We need more reports like this.
  • edited September 2015
    Well put Judy. As I've indicated multiple times on the forums, this is your trip . . . wear what you feel comfortable in. I enjoy wearing a jacket (I don't get to do it much anymore), but my preferences should not influence anyone else. As Judy said, nobody cares. You're there to have the best time you can have.
  • When I get to my Upcoming Welcome meeting, I will be the weird one who is eyeing everyone up and down and assessing what they are wearing and taking creepy discreet photos so I can report back to the forum. Just have to remember to take my iPhone or camera from the hotel room. Thanks to Judy for latest info, that's about a 20 percent jacket rate. Leaving a jacket at home equates to an extra couple of outfits and less need for those who love to do laundry on vacation.
  • Just wanted to give an update. We just finished the cruise and the final dinner on the ship was totally different from the welcome dinner in Paris in terms of how people dressed. Almost every men wore a jacket and a good number wore ties. The women also dressed up a lot more than at the welcome dinner. That said -- the cruise overall was pretty casual and as I said before -- per Tauck -- a jacket for men was optional. All I can report is what I saw on our cruise -- so please don't shoot the messenger!
  • Thanx for the followup. I remember feeling the farewell reception on the Rhone was a more special occasion than the Paris dinner the first night. Just knowing it was our last night on board, saying goodbye to people, etc. Although our group's "dressy" factor was pretty much the same both nights i.e. same percentage of jackets, dresses, etc.
  • After reading all the comments regarding the jacket, I am looking for a lightweight linen or cotton jacket for my husband that can double as something to wear if there is a cooler evening. We will take a dress shirt and 1 tie. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. This forum has been very helpful.
  • I always take a jacket and tie and wear them at Tauck Tours - because that is how I feel comfortable. I hope others do what makes them feel comfortable. The real joy of Tauck Tours (and we are often the sole couple from England) is that nobody judges you. You are on vacation so whatever you do you should feel comfortable. Don't worry about looking the same as everyone else - honestly, nobody will notice. Of course, the only difficulty of taking a jacket on coach tours is packing between stays, but I guess cruising is easier.
  • We've taken two Tauck river cruises, and six land tours - all these blog posts are spot on. I've noticed over the years that it's less formal each trip it seems....the welcome reception/dinner is usually less casual as some have literally just arrived that day, and most are jetlagged. The farewell dinner tends to be "a bit more" as many have brought at least one "nicer" outfit, so why not wear it, and by then you've made new friends and it's nice to kick it up a notch!

That said, Tauck means what they say - dress to please yourself - no one judges you...other than no shorts or jeans at either of these functions (but fine on tour) you're fine whatever your preference is. I always pack way too much and realize once on tour that I can easily duplicate outfits during the trip as no one cares what you are wearing!

I always bring a layered mix as we've hit snow unexpectedly on tours, and extreme heat on others. I always travel with a tissue turtleneck, a short skirt, a long skirt, or dress, pants, shorts so I'm covered whatever the weather. I learned my lesson once and now always bring a warm lightweight headband (for cold, wind) and light gloves as well. They take up no room and you have them if needed. Always one wool layer on top just in case - just a cardigan sweater sort of thing - that works in warm or cooler weather.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file