Options

Bumpiness

I saw a post on the Kenya and Tanzania board. I have tried not to be concerned about bumpiness, but I do have some lower back issues. I really think a lot of people have similar issues, so I am trying not to make this a factor. I would like to know if, on this trip, the roads are so bad that perhaps I should consider not doing this itinerary. I do not want to cancel, but I also don't want to be foolhardy. Any help here? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I am the person who wrote about the bumpiness in Kenya. Yup, I recovered and am also considering the Zambia, Botswana, South-Africa tour. Did "South Africa" a few years ago. No bumps, just a wonderful trip. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I take this tour next September, I would like to hear what others say about the bumpiness in Botswana.
    Before you consider switching to the Elegant South Africa tour, my experience on the safari part of the journey there was different. The safari vehicles are higher off the ground but they constantly go off-road, driving over small trees and moving fast and changing angles quickly, I might describe the ride as jerky, I would no way describe the ride as smooth. After rains it certainly might be more bumpy f it causes ruts in the unpaved areas. I think it might be a good idea to discuss the tour with your orthopedic doctor before booking. Maybe your doctor has been on safari himself and can speak from experience. East Africa, yes it cam be very bumpy indeed even on the roads that are so called paved. The ride rival the terrible road pothole conditions in the US in our area this past winter, yes third world roads here too!
  • Options
    roz47 wrote:
    I saw a post on the Kenya and Tanzania board. I have tried not to be concerned about bumpiness, but I do have some lower back issues. I really think a lot of people have similar issues, so I am trying not to make this a factor. I would like to know if, on this trip, the roads are so bad that perhaps I should consider not doing this itinerary. I do not want to cancel, but I also don't want to be foolhardy. Any help here? Thanks.

We did this trip last year, and I experienced some of the roughest rides of my life. At one time we were on a 'good' road going at high speed and I made a video to show how rough it was. I could not keep the camera pointed out the front window. It was like going 60 mph on a giant washboard. Our tour director advised us to ride loose, and just move with the vehicle ... like on a galloping horse. Your question probably reveals the answer. If rough is bad for you, this probably is not your trip. You are travelling in a caravan, they have to get from A to B, and they have already used max air travel to avoid repostioning by road. If you have a problem the remedies may be limited.
  • Options
    Roz47 was asking about the Botswana tour Sealord, he mentioned K and T but I think he was asking about the Botswana Zambia and SA safari parts of the trip. I think you may be booked on that one too. Have you been yet to report on the road conditions?
  • Options
    Yes, I was referring to Botswana, not Kenya and Tanzania. British, when are you going? We are scheduled Sept. 3.
  • Options
    Something to remember about trips where you view animals in the wild- these animals are most often in areas designated by the host country as conservancies, conservation areas, game reserves, national parks, etc. and, as such, are designed for minimal human impact on the wildlife- that means small hotels or camps and few, or in most cases, no paved roads- animals don't like paved roads. It doesn't take much rain, traffic, etc. to turn a dirt road into a torture track. That and often poor infrastructure is also one of the main reasons you fly between camps.

Like others who have weighed in, I have only been on the K&T tour, but a review of the Botswana, SA, Zambia itinerary tells me you will encounter similar "roads" there except where it is obvious you won't- Livingstone, Capetown, etc.

On the other hand, if you look closely at the itineraries on the website (not the detailed tour booklet or day-by-day "go to" sheet) you don't have as many game drives on B,SA,Z. You have boat trips, other activities or options to "game drives" in safari-style Jeeps in all but a few instances:

Day 4-"This morning, choose between a game drive or a walking safari* with local guides who demonstrate their knowledge and skills in tracking animals in the bush" Game drive in the afternoon.

Day 5- "Begin the day with a game drive and an optional walking safari." "This afternoon, take a motorboat safari along the intricate waterways of the Okavango Delta in search of . . . ."

Day 6- "First up this morning – a mokoro canoe safari." "Following lunch, take a drive through the Xaxaba village for a unique look into the daily life of a Botswanan.

Day 7- From your deluxe tented camp, venture out on a game drive or take a walking safari with the local San Bushmen . . . .

You and your doctor will need to make a determination if you are physically able for this journey. Unlike K&T where almost all activities involve riding in safari vehicles on very rough roads, the B,SA,Z trip appears to have a lot more options and less physically demanding activities. Only you can determine whether it is worthwhile to take this trip if you will miss out on game drives.
  • Options
    British wrote:
    Roz47 was asking about the Botswana tour Sealord, he mentioned K and T but I think he was asking about the Botswana Zambia and SA safari parts of the trip. I think you may be booked on that one too. Have you been yet to report on the road conditions?

No, we are going on the May 14 South Africa trip. Just got back from the Blue Danube trip on the MS Savor. Great trip, beautiful boat.