Options

Colosseum work?

We are taking Classic Italy, Small Groups in a few months and I have been looking for a recent article or photo to find out if any of the massive scaffolding erected on the outside walls of the Colosseum a few years ago is still there. So far everything I found on the web is at least a year old and still shows the scaffolding. It is not supposed to cover the entire exterior and is moved when the repairs to that section have been completed.

If you weren't aware, the Italian Government, spurred on by considerable private donations, is finally undertaking major, much-needed repairs to the structure and appearance (work started in 2013?). This has resulted in big debates about what and how much should be done, e.g. install a wood floor like the original over the entire arena, not just part of it. They supposedly built a copy of one of the (many) elevators used to hoist animals to the arena from the cages below, too.

Can any recent traveler to Rome give me an update on the Colosseum?

o-183725268-570.jpg?1

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Alan, having been to the coliseum in Nimes France in the 1980's, I was a little disappointed when we visited the Coliseum in Rome with Tauck because it is in far more disrepair in comparison. I believe the Nimes one has had more renovations since we were there, at that time it was being prepared for an Elton John concert. If you can't get decent photos because of scaffolding, I suggest going on the Tauck tour that includes Nimes and other great Roman sites in France.
    http://archaeology-travel.com/thematic-guides/roman-amphitheatres/ This is an interesting site for info on world amphitheaters and more.
  • Options
    We were in Rome on this tour last September. There was some scaffolding up on the Colosseum at that time but nowhere near as extensive as in your photo. Most of the exterior was visible and there was no visible construction in the interior.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Thanks!

The day after our early arrival in Sorrento we will have a car and driver to take us around and plan to go to the Pozzuoli area (nw suburb of Naples) and visit the "Anfiteatro Flavio" there. It is a smaller cousin of the one in Rome, but still the third largest colosseum in Italy. Except for the reconstructed arena floor, much of it, especially the exterior, is in worse condition than the one in Rome. But it is less visited (no crowds, no tour groups) and you can explore more of it on your own than the one in Rome. It should make for a nice comparison.

Anfiteatro Flavio in Pozzuoli:

36930_1big.jpeg

anfi4081853681_71b5c9b77b-d3d60.jpg

CF-Anfiteatro-Flavio.jpg
  • Options
    I was there with Tauck last May and don't recall any scaffolding on the Colosseum. However, the Trevi Fountain was shut down for repairs and covered with scaffolding.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    During my research I think I read the work on Trevi Fountain is complete and the scaffolding, etc. has been removed (but now it will cost four coins :~) ).

Update. I just found this on Wikipedia:

"Restoration work began in June 2014 and was completed in November 2015. The fountain was reopened with an official ceremony on the evening of November 3, 2015. The restoration included the installation of more than 100 LED lights to improve the nighttime illumination of the fountain."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file