Options

Johannesburg

We will be on the trip in September 10, 2016. Since the trip ends in Cape Town, we have to fly back through Johannesburg. We were wondering if it is worthwhile to spend a day or two there. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Some don't like the airport or the town. There are flight options that avoid Jo'burg.
  • Options
    While Johannesburg is interesting, I would not recommend going there on your own. Some of my favorite experiences were in Johanneaburg. My best suggestion would be this. If the Botswana S A and Zambia tour is your first trip to Africa, I guarantee that budget permitting, you will want to go to Africa again. So save going to Johannesburg for when you do the Tauck Elegant South Africa tour! The two tours only overlap in Cape Town and the itinerary is not the same there anyway. I loved Cape Town and am glad to be going back there this Fall when I do the Botswana tour, this will be the fourth of the Tauck Africa sub- Saharan tours that I have taken, and I would willingly and probably will do again if I have the time and the money.
  • Options
    When will you be going to Botswana SA and Zambia?
  • Options
    The week after you! Post any tips for me!
  • Options
    Absolutely. BTW right now we are scheduled for 2 days in Livingston before the trips begins and one day in Cape Town afterwards. Are we wasting our time? What do you think?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    We are staying in Livingston two days prior to the tour too, apart from anything else, we want to recover a little from jet lag before the tour begins, since safari vacations mean pre- dawn getting up. If we had time, we would also stay longer in Cape Town, it has such a wonderful ambience. Have a look at the Elegant South Africa forum for some Cape Town ideas too. You will see I have recommended the two things we did extra there, Kirstenbosch Gardens, aledgedly the most beautiful gardens in Africa, the area has a unique plant life if that excites you. It also has a nice and very comprehensive gift shop, that's where I bought one of my ostrich eggs. Then the Christian Barnard museum if seeing the actual operating theatre where the first heart transplant happened, that excites me too, it had that wonderful smell of the OR to me and the taxi that picks you up from your hotel that is part of the ticket price will show you where the girl who's heart was used was hit by a car. The museum exhibits are very well done. If you want to go to Robben Island that is not part of the Botswana SA tour, I would do that on the extra day and book it well in advance.