Options

Classic Italy June 22, 2016 - what to pack

I'm wondering what type of clothing pervious travels have packed to Italy during the month of June? Apparently shorts can not be worn into the churches and that poses the question as to what the men usually wear than? My husband will have a difficult time walking around all day in hot weather wearing pants. As a woman I suppose capris or casual sun dress with covered shoulders will be appropriate but what do the men do? Other posts says travel light but I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer. It sounds like my husband won't necessarily need a suit jacket as long as he is dressed appropriately in slacks and a collar shirt, again suggestions. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Have him try a pair of pants with zip-off legs (Columbia, Travel Smith, etc.). They look a bit like a cross between cargo pants and parachute pants, not the greatest look, but definitely one option. In addition to wearing them on the K&T safari, I took two pair on the Alps and Dolomites trip two years ago. Early mornings and mountain tops were cool so I wore them with lower sections on. Midday or any time it got warmer I zipped off lower legs. I'll probably take a pair or two on Classic Italy, Small Groups in May. The fabric is lightweight so it doesn't take much space to stow the lower sections. Since I have short legs, my big complaint with them is that with lower section removed they look more like Bermuda shorts which I don't like.

Italy can get quite warm in the summer- downright beastly!
  • Options
    I believe he just may like these Columbia convertible type pants so we will give them a try, thank you for the suggestion.
  • Options
    As a woman I have collected light weight shirts and ones with very little sleeve. Also, plan Capri that can be rolled to shorts. The pants recommended sounds like good choice for men.

I am on the northern Italy tour end of May and taking the train thru Umbria for 2 weeks and end in Rome.
  • Options
    Linen slacks worked out well for my husband during the once-a-decade heat wave in France last summer. Lightweight and breathable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file