Tip toe thru the Tulips! :-)

Happy Sunday Everyone!

I am booked on the Holland River Cruise to see the Tulips next April, 2017. I know it's just under a year away, but I'm hoping that anyone who just returned from their Tulip trip last month would answer some questions for me while it's still fresh in your mind.

1. Did you purchase Tulip bulbs to bring home and if so, where was the best place to buy them? I have googled and know that I will need to get the certificates that they are safe to to bring to the US.

2. Did you visit Bruges and were you happy you opted for this?

3. I will be doing 2 nights pre-cruise in Amsterdam and plan on visiting the Anne Frank House (knowing to buy my tickets once they go on sale on-line), but was wondering if anyone had any other tips/things to see? I'd like to see the I Amsterdam sign and will hopefully either walk or take their trains to see it.

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Kathy

Comments

• I picked up bulbs at airport last August, specifically got ones stamped ok for US and they did not check them when I entered the US.
  • Thanks for your response Crackers!

I did read about buying them at the airport, but read that the prices were much higher there than in the city.

Is there a limit on how many bulbs you can bring back?
  • We haven't done this cruise but were in Amsterdam last fall for the Rhine/Moselle cruise. We stayed 2 extra nights at the Sofitel Grand before the cruise. Not sure if that is your pre-cruise hotel location or not. It's a beautiful hotel right in the central district. We walked everywhere. The trains kind of go around that area.

There is an outdoor flower market near the Munt Tower that was interesting. Didn't buy so I don't know for sure if they had the right stamp for US import. If you want to wait til the airport make sure to allow plenty of time to clear customs and security. We came back thru there from Basel and it took all of our 2 hour layover just to change planes. No time for shopping - big bummer.

The Amsterdam sign is in front of the Rijksmuseum which your tour includes but it will be a very short guided tour. You might want to go on your own and take your time or see the Van Gogh museum which is close to it.

I recommend getting Rick Steves' Pocket Guide to Amsterdam. It's small, includes good maps, suggested self-guided walking tours and lots of useful info.

Re walking in general, you'll hear this several times reading about Amsterdam, beware bicyclists. They're everywhere, they're fast, and they have NO patience for pedestrians in the bicycle lanes. Adding to that is in the older areas the side walks are narrow and often blocked by parked cars, bicycles and cafe tables.

For reasonably priced dining on your own in Amsterdam I recommend 2 places. V&D is a department store chain that has self serve restaurants and takeout. One is located near the Munt tower on Kalverstrat They also have a location on the 7th floor of the public library near where the cruise ships moor. The other recommendation is the Albert Hein stores which are everywhere. There’s a very nice one on Dam square close to several ATMs (and the Macdonalds and KFC – just for land marks). Great take out sandwiches, salads, fruit, drinks, etc.

Have fun.
  • Thanks Claudia!!

Yes, we're staying at the same hotel - the Sofitel Grand. I've read great things on Tripadvisor about the hotel and am looking forward to staying there.

I'll look into your recommendations and put them in my file of things to do. (I'm a bit of a planner and keep files/folders of different destinations).

Our cruise is now ending in Antwerp in stead of Brussels so we fly direct from Amsterdam. I believe I was told it's about 1.5 hours from Antwerp to the airport so we opted for the later flight. Hopefully we'll have some shopping time at the airport IF I don't get the tulips elsewhere.

Thanks again for your response!!!
  • edited May 2016
    Kathy0529 wrote:
    Happy Sunday Everyone!

I am booked on the Holland River Cruise to see the Tulips next April, 2017. I know it's just under a year away, but I'm hoping that anyone who just returned from their Tulip trip last month would answer some questions for me while it's still fresh in your mind.

1. Did you purchase Tulip bulbs to bring home and if so, where was the best place to buy them? I have googled and know that I will need to get the certificates that they are safe to to bring to the US.

2. Did you visit Bruges and were you happy you opted for this?

3. I will be doing 2 nights pre-cruise in Amsterdam and plan on visiting the Anne Frank House (knowing to buy my tickets once they go on sale on-line), but was wondering if anyone had any other tips/things to see? I'd like to see the I Amsterdam sign and will hopefully either walk or take their trains to see it.

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Kathy

Tulips! I have been to Amsterdam, but it was many years ago, I really do need to go there again, I certainly pass through the airport to other Tauck tours. As a gardener, I can only answer the tulip part of your answer and I apologize if you know all this, but here goes. I have all but given up planting tulips in my part of the US because the deer and rabbits and squirrels love them. They will dig them up and then cast them aside. Daffodils are poisonous so I stick to them and have many varieties. Bulbs are best planted in the Fall, so if you buy some, keep them in a cool dark place until then. Follow planting depth and feeding guidelines. If you buy more than one type, chose so that they flower at different times to keep the color going in your garden! I would only consider buying some extra special unusual varieties from Holland because tulips in general are so easy to purchase in the US. I would then in my situation, surround the bulbs with string to fool the animals, plant something with a strong scent nearby to put the animals off, or spray regularly with alternate types of deer repellent.
    Tulips have a fascinating history, the bulbs were once so valuable that they actually caused a kind of stock market bubble burst. There are books about it and even a play, I think called Tulipomania which I have seen. Enjoy Holland and post tips for the forum when you return.
  • Thanks British!!

I'm adding your tips for the tulips to my files!!

No deer or rabbits to worry about here, but we do have squirrels. They usually don't mess w/our gardens, but will keep an eye next year when we finally plant them!

• The Sofitel Grand is wonderful. The staff were great. So friendly.

Kathy, I can totally relate to the desire to plan. Am just the same. Currently working our 2017 Seine cruise. Oddly though, I've found that often the things I planned on these cruises were a bit of a dud and completely unexpected things turned out to be my favorite memories.

Re Tulips, I read Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever before our trip last year. She wrote the book the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie was based on. Tulip Fever was a bit slow but there is a movie (hopefully) coming out soon.
  • We have not done this tour with Tauck so not sure where they take you, but a real MUST during April in Holland is the KEUKENHOF Gardens.
    These are open in 2017 only between 23 March and 21 May and are a stunning 32 hectares of a blaze of colour from bulbs. Every colour and type you can imagine. Of course there is a shop there too, but you might need to place orders because this is not the time of year for bulb planting.
    The gardens are closed for the rest of the year while they dig up all the bulbs then replant new around October.
    Richard
  • The Sofitel Grand is wonderful. The staff were great. So friendly.

Kathy, I can totally relate to the desire to plan. Am just the same. Currently working our 2017 Seine cruise. Oddly though, I've found that often the things I planned on these cruises were a bit of a dud and completely unexpected things turned out to be my favorite memories.

Re Tulips, I read Deborah Moggach's Tulip Fever before our trip last year. She wrote the book the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie was based on. Tulip Fever was a bit slow but there is a movie (hopefully) coming out soon.

Claudia - I've read great things about the hotel that I'm glad to be going early to enjoy it.

I do all that Tauck schedules on the itinerary, but plan on choosing Bruges over Ghent. I sometimes hate missing out on something, but from people I've spoken to, I think I'll be happy w/Bruges.

Thanks again for your response!
  • Richardb wrote:
    We have not done this tour with Tauck so not sure where they take you, but a real MUST during April in Holland is the KEUKENHOF Gardens.
    These are open in 2017 only between 23 March and 21 May and are a stunning 32 hectares of a blaze of colour from bulbs. Every colour and type you can imagine. Of course there is a shop there too, but you might need to place orders because this is not the time of year for bulb planting.
    The gardens are closed for the rest of the year while they dig up all the bulbs then replant new around October.
    Richard

Hey Richard,

Yes, those Gardens are part of the tour and I am on the April 8th trip so I'm hopeful the tulips cooperate and put on a great display when we arrive!

Thanks!!
  • We will be on the cruise with you and are so excited!

Joe and Ellie
  • jangelini wrote:
    We will be on the cruise with you and are so excited!

Joe and Ellie

That's great!! I look forward to meeting you. I'm getting excited, too!! Just about 3.5 months to go!!! :-)
  • We were encouraged to buy our bulbs right at the Keukenhof Gardens...they are fabulous bulbs. They will ship for you or you can take them with you. You will never see anything as absolutely glorious as the tulips in the Gardens. The floating flower markets in Amsterdam are great but we were totally unprepared for the glory of the acres of gorgeous tulips and other flowers at Keukenhof. We were there in April 2014...would love to return just to see the tulips again. I hope the season is normal and the flowers are in full bloom! PS, I bought a big bouquet in Amsterdam...for about $5...enjoyed them for days!
  • Nancy wrote:
    We were encouraged to buy our bulbs right at the Keukenhof Gardens...they are fabulous bulbs. They will ship for you or you can take them with you. You will never see anything as absolutely glorious as the tulips in the Gardens. The floating flower markets in Amsterdam are great but we were totally unprepared for the glory of the acres of gorgeous tulips and other flowers at Keukenhof. We were there in April 2014...would love to return just to see the tulips again. I hope the season is normal and the flowers are in full bloom! PS, I bought a big bouquet in Amsterdam...for about $5...enjoyed them for days!

Thanks Nancy!! Did you visit Bruges or Ghent on the tour? I believe the Gardens are early in our tour so I will definitely buy the bulbs there!! I'm hoping that the weather cooperates and we see them in bloom, if not, it will be a good excuse to go back for another visit. :-) Maybe I'll buy a bouquet for our room on the boat!!!
  • As I said in my entry last May, the tulips are stunning, but most people are wowed by the blast of colour across the displays. Do take a few moments to pause and actually look directly inside the blooms. Nature has created such wonderful patterns for very specific reasons which only insects and other pollinators seem to understand, but we mere humans just take in the bigger picture of beds of colour. you will not be disappointed. I use this analogy when I give my talks about orchids just to try to bring home the fact that even though a tulip looks simple from the outside this flower has real beauty embedded secretly inside. Enjoy your trip - I am envious.
  • Hi - We're on the Southbound cruise departing April 8 - is this the same one you're doing? We are coming in early and also staying extra days in Amsterdam at the end of this cruise. Thank you!
  • mazalea wrote:
    Hi - We're on the Southbound cruise departing April 8 - is this the same one you're doing? We are coming in early and also staying extra days in Amsterdam at the end of this cruise. Thank you!

Hi! Yes, it looks like we'll be on the same cruise! I'm traveling with my mother and we'll be arriving 2 days early. Not staying any extra at the end though, but looking forward to a couple of days pre-cruise in Amsterdam.

See you soon!!
  • Excellent! And today I read more carefully and see that jangling is, too. My husband Dennis and I are looking forward to this. I was in Bruges and Keukenhof gardens about ten years ago and both were glorious, except for the bike riding on cobblestones in the rain. HaHa! Oddly, I just this weekend threw out the catalogs from some of the growers, thinking I'd find new ones this time. Everyone will ship, so no problem, and you can order some that are quite exotic and not usually seen here. Alas, here in North Carolina we have the deer issue.
    Thanks for the reminder to check out Ann Frank tickets in advance. Did you check out "36 hours in Amsterdam" from the NYTimes? Wherever we go I usually look to see if there's a "36 Hours" piece and have found some good suggestions.
  • Good suggestion on the 36 Hours series. I looked at NYT website and they seem to have lots of different cities covered.

I also like Rick Steves website and guides for suggestions - what to see for sure, what's so so. His pocket guides are particularly nice - inexpensive, small, lightweight, good maps. His suggested self guided walking tours are very useful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file