Options

zanzibar vs few more days on safari

Can anyone give me some information on time spent in zanzibar on end of tanzania safari. Trying to decide if we make only ONE trip to africa for safari if this is way we should end our trip? Will these six days of safari be sufficient and then have some down time on indian ocean. Can you give me idea of how the day boat swim snorkel trip is spent?

Comments

• Options
    Took this tour two years ago. Had already taken Kenya and Tanzania tour and the Elegant Sourh Africa tour. Two days in Zanzibar at the end of the tour was plenty for us. It is a great contrast to the rest of Tanzania and the small plane ride there was an experience. You take a very interesting Spice tour and the boat ride to the island, those are the main things plus the walking tour of the town. I do not need to go there again. Boat tour is a boat tour, get on a boat, go to an island, snorkel And relax and eat Food. On the other hand, Tanzania is my favorite country, and I want to go again in the future. The Tanzania Zanzibar tour is very good value. If you compare it with the Kenya and Tanzania tour that costs quite a bit more, you get almost as many game drives because some of the Other tour is spent around the fancy hotels like the Four Seasons just relaxing, I can do that in any fancy hotel, I do not need it to be Africa. I would rather be on game drives. I guarantee that as long as you have the money to go to Africa again, this would not be your only time there. We are about to go on the Botswana, Zambia, South Africa tour.
  • Options
    Thank you British, for responding. I, too, felt that the price was very good for Tanzania and the amount of game drives that were included, along with the accommodations offered. That was our main goal of this trip, safari through Tanzania. Please post if you can about your trip when you return!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    cb2labs wrote:
    Thank you British, for responding. I, too, felt that the price was very good for Tanzania and the amount of game drives that were included, along with the accommodations offered. That was our main goal of this trip, safari through Tanzania. Please post if you can about your trip when you return!

We just returned from "Botswana, South Africa, and Zambia" two weeks ago. It seems like yesterday because we have been trying to recover from the flights home. Stupendous! We had down played our expectations after doing "The Classic Safari" two years ago which we thought would be unbeatable. We enjoyed B,SA, and Z just as much if not more. They took out the walk with the lions experience do to vavious reasons which may include liability isssues, but we went in a day early, so we booked a walk with the lions experience with Bushtracks. They actually run the activities desk at the Royal Livingstone, so it is an easy deal. Highly recommended.

https://botswanazambiasouthafrica2016.shutterfly.com

I think the above link will take you to my album with our 'lions' experience near the beginning.

The link works ... Just click the date, and then click "all" and you should get it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hello Sealord, I would love you to post anything about the tour if you have time.

Walking with Lions
    before anyone thinks about doing this as an extra activity since it has now been taken out of the Tauck tour, they should be made aware of the extreme controversy surrounding the Lion experience. It is all over the Internet and was featured on CBS 60 Minutes some time ago which is why I am absolutely positive, it was taken off the Tauck tour. If anyone knows about the 'other' safari experience--- paying to shoot and kill animals for big bucks, there is some suspicion that this is where the lions end up once they become too big to be around tourists.
    But please, how was the Rhino experience?
  • Options
    cb2labs wrote:

I am pretty sure I did maybe a couple of reviews of my tour, we were there around the middle of July 2014, so my post would be fairly soon after that. One was practical stuff, like what there was in the hotels, camps, like outlets. Then I think there was one about the tour. I would highly recommend going several days early and visiting the park about a half hour drive away from the hotel, forgive me, can't remember the name, I was rehearsing for a show last night and got to bed very late. It's in my review.
    Another tip, if going on a balloon ride is high priority for you, the rides in Tanxzania are hardly ever cancelled due to unsuitable wind conditions, whereas on the Kenya and Tanzania tour, they are fairly often cancelled, that happened to us two days running, got up at some ungodly hour and both cancelled. You do get money back, but the extra sleep would have been nicer! How do I know theTanzania ride is a safer bet? I asked our very hsmdsome British balloon pilot!
  • Options
    Sealord,

I just looked at your great pics. I thought I had your email address from when we exchanged sea stories about Navy flying (Skywarriors (whales), Prowlers, etc.), but couldn't find it, so I'll do a little hijack.

So, you did Z,SA,B in mid-May- it looks like some pretty chilly mornings and evenings. Were temps fine during the main part of the day? How were the temps in Capetown? Did you consider going at a different time of year.

Your pics and Tauck itinerary show a lot of time was spent in boats. Also, you spent more time out of the safari vehicles than on a K&T - comments?

Less animal encounters than K&T? But, just as rewarding or more so?

How did you like flying Business/1c(?) in the BA A380-800?

If you have my address just send a reply by email. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    AlanS wrote:
    Sealord,

I just looked at your great pics. I thought I had your email address from when we exchanged sea stories about Navy flying (Skywarriors (whales), Prowlers, etc.), but couldn't find it, so I'll do a little hijack.

So, you did Z,SA,B in mid-May- it looks like some pretty chilly mornings and evenings. Were temps fine during the main part of the day? How were the temps in Capetown? Did you consider going at a different time of year.

Your pics and Tauck itinerary show a lot of time was spent in boats. Also, you spent more time out of the safari vehicles than on a K&T - comments?

Less animal encounters than K&T? But, just as rewarding or more so?

How did you like flying Business/1c(?) in the BA A380-800?

If you have my address just send a reply by email. Thanks.

Addressing two posts here. The walking with the lions? Bush Tracks is in partnership with a conservation group that has the objective of breeding lion cubs and releasing them to the wild. I know nothing of the outfit that had been used but went out of business. I would not recommend believing everything you see on sixty minutes. Several countries in Africa allow rich folks to shoot an animal that is about to die anyway, and use the proceeds appropriately ... or not. None of them that I know of allow someone to shoot the 22 month old lions that we walked with.

Alan, the weather question. Perfect. I timed our trip to have the Zambisi River at maximum flood for the Victoria Falls experience, and to see the Okavango 'wet'. That is why you see the boats. In the dry season the place is a desert, not the garden of Eden, and you tour in Safari vehicles. It was cool at night, but very nice in the daytime. Cool mornings which is why you see everyone bundled up at that time. If I ever do that trip again it will be exactly at that time of year. The only thing I think we missed with our tiiming was great white sharks n South Africa.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sealord, I was lookiing for your photo links just before we went on our Zam, Bots tour which began Sept 17th and just found it again thanks to your new post here. I have not had time to look at our photos yet, it's going to take hours of editing from two cameras and then making my usual photo book/diary. But I just looked at yours and I was surprised how similar the vegetation was, more water obviously, but otherwise not the desert you thought it might be in the dry season. When we go again, we would like to go in May. The way people were bundled up on your trip clearly shows the differences in temperature, several on our tour wore low cut sleeveless tops, we wore long sleeve teeshirts for sun and bug and thorn protection all the time, whatever the temperature. I am going to try to put a link to your photos in Zambia Botswana forum because I think many people will find them useful for things like how high the vehicles are and clothing.
    Well I could not figure out a link, but here is the latest on Walking with Lions and I guess why Tauck does not do this any more. http://www.zambiatourism.com/activities/adventure/lion-walks. It makes sense, knowing about tje behaviors of lions more and more that releasing a lion 'back into the wild' would be problematic if not suicidal. A lion habituated to humans--- er, not a good idea. Putting a lion in another Pride's territory, er no. And so on and so on. Looks as if selling to be hunted is the way it probably goes.
    We never got to do the Seal Island boat trip at all, rough weather, it was rainy in CapeTown while we were there. Apparently, The Great Whites have not been seen for months.