Tanzania: Serengeti to Zanzibar

We just booked the July 17,2017 "Tanzania: Serengeti to Zanzibar" trip and we checked, as referenced in Tauck's "Summary of Purchase", the CDC and WHO websites with regard to required and suggested vaccinations. At this moment there are no required vaccinations... although Yellow Fever and Malaria vaccinations might be smart choices; however, there are so many suggested vaccinations (e.g. Rabies, Hepatitis A, Typhoid, et al), I just wondered what other past (or future, for that matter) travelers have done or will do. We are not overwhelmingly concerned... we just want to be on the right side of caution. Thank you!

Comments

• According to my doctor no one should travel without having Hep A and Hep B and tetanus. When I looked at the web site I thought that malaria and yellow fever were more than strongly recommended.
  • The key words as always are REQUIRED and RECOMMENDED. Talk to tour travel doctor in conjunction with your health records.
  • Thank you both for your responses... we appreciate it!!

• Just booked the July 3, 2017 tanzania serengeti to zanzibar with my girlfriend! Anyone else booked on that date?
    I will also be doing a lot of research on shots needed as the time gets closer, and also noting if there are any "outbreaks" in the area.
  • cb2labs. I also just booked the July 3, 2017 tour to Tanzania and Zanzibar. I look forward to meeting you and chatting while preparing for this trip. I am traveling solo, but I travel a lot and I enjoy meeting other meeting people.

If you are in the US, the CDC website has the most up to date information travel information. From my research Yellow Fever vaccine is required in Tanzania unless it's medically contraindicated. I cannot take that vaccination. I plan to visit a travel clinic to obtain official documentation and to avoid making flight connections in Yellow Fever prone countries like Ethiopia. That is also why I'm traveling during the dry season. I want to see some of the migration, but do not want to travel just after the rainy season for health reasons.
  • Two comments-

1- As has already been suggested, visit a travel doctor.

2- Unless you have a medical problem with one of the inoculations, why not get them all now? Most shots are good for 10 years or more. You can't take just one Africa trip. Once you've been on one, the question is not "if" but "when" will you go back!
  • Tlady, excited to hear you are on the July 3 trip. I am traveling with a girlfriend, we look forward to meeting you!

Alan S, I hear from you and British, that once you go to Africa, you can't wait to go back. Those comments impacted my decision to take this trip! That is the way I felt on my Lindblah/Natl Geo Galapagos Trip last year. I can't wait to go there again but trying to do some other bucket list trips first.
  • cb2labs wrote:
    Tlady, excited to hear you are on the July 3 trip. I am traveling with a girlfriend, we look forward to meeting you!

Alan S, I hear from you and British, that once you go to Africa, you can't wait to go back. Those comments impacted my decision to take this trip! That is the way I felt on my Lindblah/Natl Geo Galapagos Trip last year. I can't wait to go there again but trying to do some other bucket list trips first.

We are off to Ireland next Tuesday and are headed to Peru and the Galápagos in March : ), but a return to Africa is definitely on the short list!