Options

Yellow Fever Certification in Botswana

Do you know if when you enter Botswana, you have to show proof of yellow fever vaccination?

Comments

• Options
    They may ask, they may not. It's up to how they feel.
  • Options
    It is interesting in that the CDC states that Botswana requires proof of vaccination if traveling from a country on the WHO list with a risk of yellow fever. Zambia is not on that list--so I would assume that coming from Zambia would not be a problem. According to the county health travel doctor I spoke with, yellow fever should not be required for entry to Botswana if we have only been in U.S. or Zambia. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

I ask because my husband and I are over 65 and would prefer not to take the vaccination if it is not required.
  • Options
    The guidelines are changing for Yellow fever vaccine all the time. So I just read them again. It looks as long as you are not in transit in other African airports for example, Kenya for more than twelve hours you should be fine. What is more confusing nowadays is that some countries recognize one time vaccination as a 'For Life' vaccine, like Zambia, while others only recognize it for ten years, like Botswana. Thankfully, my vaccine will just be under the ten year mark when we go to Botswana, so if there are any changes by then, we will be covered as far as Botswana is concerned. Now if you want to travel to somewhere else in Africa in the future, that's the problem.
  • Options
    Yes, it changes quickly. I will see if I can get a waiver from my doctor. I'm really not worried about yellow fever considering the low risk, but i am concerned that we will get to Botswana, and they will say we can't get in. That would not be good!

We are on the Sep. 3 trip. When are you going?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    roz47 wrote:
    It is interesting in that the CDC states that Botswana requires proof of vaccination if traveling from a country on the WHO list with a risk of yellow fever. Zambia is not on that list--so I would assume that coming from Zambia would not be a problem. According to the county health travel doctor I spoke with, yellow fever should not be required for entry to Botswana if we have only been in U.S. or Zambia. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

I ask because my husband and I are over 65 and would prefer not to take the vaccination if it is not required.

My wife and I are 65 and older, and had absolutely no problem with the yellow fever shot. The Doc who administered them treats Marines headed to some of the nastiest parts of the globe. He didn't bat an eye about our age and strongly recommended we get the shot. I suspect it is only a select, very small segment of the population that should not get the yellow fever shot. A travel doc should be able to tell from your age and medical history if you are one of those. If you continue to travel you may eventually need it anyway.

Two other things to consider-

• Remember you will be in a 3rd world country and have to deal with their version of TSA employees who might be erratic in their interpretation or implementation of local, country, or WHO immunization guidelines.

• If you haven't had, but they decide you need a yellow fever shot, regardless of whether you have a letter from your doctor, you may end up going through a lot of hassle, need to get the shot right there with their needles, or possibly get on the next plane home!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    roz47 wrote:
    Yes, it changes quickly. I will see if I can get a waiver from my doctor. I'm really not worried about yellow fever considering the low risk, but i am concerned that we will get to Botswana, and they will say we can't get in. That would not be good!

We are on the Sep. 3 trip. When are you going?

The 17rh. We arrive 2 days early, I think. We booked it a long time ago and I think the Botswana or Zambia guidelines for Yellow fever were different then, I think it might have been required if you were coming from Zambia, but as our shot was still valid, I did not worry. What makes me think it was changed was because I had to make sure when my last shot was and think I even discussed it somewhere on the forum when someone was asking about the shot like you.
    Alan has a very valid point about the loosey goosey nature of the border control people. If this is your first tour to Africa, you will be sure to want to go again such as Kenya, where you will need the shot. Is your health good apart from your age. Someone on the forum mentioned a friend having a 'bad' reaction, but that could mean anything, maybe a sore arm, who knows. Do more research and check it is the most up to date you can find on adverse reactions and statistics. and talk to your Doctor, who knows your history.
    Just found this reference, check it out. Whoops trying again
    http://www.rxlist.com/yellow-fever-vaccine-side-effects-drug-center.htm
  • Options
    Our Dr. Wrote us a waiver for yellow fever shots.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience of how foreign countries react to Americans and their waiver letters in regard to any vaccinations? They must think we are super special.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I just called the embassies in Botswana and South Africa and they told me that proof of vaccination is not required from Zambia. I also called the CDC and was told there is no risk of yellow fever in either Zambia or Botswana and no certification is required. So, I think I'll ask my Dr. for a waiver letter just in case and let it go at that. Looking forward to meeting anyone on the Sept. 3 trip. It's getting close now!