Options

Recommendation of tour of Island of Capri and Blue Grotto

Does anyone have a recommendation of a one-day tour from Sorrento to the Island of Capri. We are staying at the La Favorita hotel in Sorrento. Our tour starts at 6:00 p.m. with a reception and dinner following it. We just want to go by boat to tour the Island of Capri (perhaps by van/bus on land) or by boat to major ports. We definitely want to go into the Blue Grotto (weather permitting) as part of the tour. Do you have any tour companies that you would recommend that will get us back in time for the reception that starts our tour? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    VinoLover wrote:
    Does anyone have a recommendation of a one-day tour from Sorrento to the Island of Capri. We are staying at the La Favorita hotel in Sorrento. Our tour starts at 6:00 p.m. with a reception and dinner following it. We just want to go by boat to tour the Island of Capri (perhaps by van/bus on land) or by boat to major ports. We definitely want to go into the Blue Grotto (weather permitting) as part of the tour. Do you have any tour companies that you would recommend that will get us back in time for the reception that starts our tour? Thank you.

You might want to read previous posts in the Classic Italy, Small Groups Forum, especially (my) posts (#1 & #3) in this thread.
  • Options
    Yes, I read your post but didn't see the actual name of the tour company that you used. There are so many that I wanted to make sure I booked a reservation with the one that you used. If you could provide the name of the tour company and/or their website address, i would be most appreciative.
  • Options
    Vinolover! Alan does write about the tour company he used in his references, too much vino maybe!
  • Options
    I am sorry but I didn't see the tour company name in his post. Is it possibly Viator?
  • Options
    It is "Driver in Italy"
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sorry, late to the parade, post #3 at my link- "Driver in Italy." I just added bolding to it but did not post a link. They come right up if you search Google. Check them out. If you end up talking with Roberto (Melaragno), the president of the company, tell him you were recommended by Nial and Alan.
  • Options
    Hope this is in time to be useful, but last October we used the Capri tour suggested by the front desk at La Favorita when we checked in. The driver picked us up at the hotel in the morning and dropped us back there as well -- in plenty of time to shower and dress for dinner and the reception. It was quite reasonable price-wise and we had less than a dozen people aboard which made for an enjoyable experience. We docked at Marina Piccola for a light lunch (caprese sandwich was included in our tour price) and then had free time to explore the island itself. The main shopping area can be wall-to-wall sightseeing groups. Going into the small alleyways was much, much better.

Our group all decided to skip the Blue Grotto though, after talking about it with our guide. We spent quite a bit of time (over an hour) circling the Island and seeing the other grottos so we saw plenty of that amazing blue water on our journey. If anyone had wanted to do the tour, our guide/captain would have waited for them. The actual Blue Grotto trip itself seems to be a bit of a tourist trap -- not a bad option for those that came over on a ferry but a bit of time waster for those already on smaller boats. Folks line up to pay the 15 euros or so to transfer to a rowboat and then be pulled into and out of the grotto for a 5 minute view.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If you haven't researched it and are wondering why it is called the "Blue Grotto" : )

This is the actual color, no Photoshop here! Touristy, for sure, but hey, that is what I am!

125r.jpg

126r.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file