Options

Amsterdam to Budapest

Traveling Amsterdam to Budapest on the MS Swiss Jewel leaving Aug 27th. We are a group of 4 traveling form RI.

Comments

• Options
    We (husband and I from IL and SW FL) are also on that cruise. I am online looking for suggestions for transportation from the ship (the day we disembark the MS Jewel) to the Ritz Carlton in Budapest as we are staying there an extra day. I think Tauck only provides transportation from the hotel to the airport on the day we leave to fly out, and I need to know what taxis are recommended.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    When you stay at the Tauck hotel pre or post cruise they will provide transportation to/from the ship to/from the hotel. This is in addition to pick ups and drop offs at airports/train stations specified for your tour.

We did the Rhine/Moselle last fall staying at the Tauck hotels at both ends of the trip. Tauck had a car service pick us up at the airport in Amsterdam and delivered us to the hotel. The day of the cruise start we (along with a large number of other passengers on the cruise) were picked up at the hotel and taken to the ship.

At the end of the cruise, a bus took about 30 of us to the Tauck hotel in Basel. When our stays ended they arranged car service to take us to the Basel airport.

You only need to worry about transfers if you stay somewhere other than the Tauck hotel or potentially if you book it yourself to get a better rate.

• Options
    Thanks! That is the information I needed. I just didn't remember that Tauck took anyone to hotels unless they were part of the beginning/end of the river cruise like the Versailles/Paris to London cruise. Very nice to know.
  • Options
    Do you know what time the transfer from the hotel in Budapest to the boat is?
  • Options
    Call Tauck and ask, or the time may be in your green booklet, did you receive it yet?
  • Options
    Arriving in Amsterdam at 8 am was wondering about visiting Anne Frank museum during the day any suggestions on how to make that happen?
  • Options
    First off your early arrival - plan on it taking about an hour to clear customs and get your luggage. Drive into Amsterdam is maybe 20 minutes. If you are starting the tour with the cruise, you can leave your luggage on the ship and the cruise director can give you some help getting to the museum - map, how use the metro system or walk, etc.

If starting with extra time at the Tauck hotel, they hotel will also store your luggage but its nice if your room is ready. Contact the hotel yourself and tell them when your arrival is and ask if possible that you could be assigned a room that is ready for occupancy. We did that at the Sofitel. They said there would be a very hefty price to guarantee this (which we didn't pay) but upon check in we were given a room right away. Can't hurt to ask. The concierge will also help finding the museum.

We didn't do the Anne Frank house, but everyone says buy tickets online. Interestingly I found this note on their website (annefrank.org) where you can buy tickets. "From 1 May 2016 from 9 AM to 3:30 PM the museum will only be open to visitors with an online ticket for a particular timeslot. From 3:30 PM to 10 PM you can visit the Anne Frank House without an online ticket and buy a ticket at the museum entrance." Just be sure to give yourself extra time to clear all the hurdles getting there. It's
  • Options
    Thanks for the info I tried to get tickets online but were all sold for the time we have available any suggestions on places to visit after we drop our luggage at the boat?
  • Options
    Bummer, oh well. The ship will be docked near the Central Station which is the oldest part of the city. Lots to see within an easy walk or tram ride.

If you don't already have a travel guide, just do a search on top things to do in Amsterdam and you'll get a great list. I have Rick Steves pocket guide to the city (highly recommend) which has a nice walking tour starting at the station, going along Damrak (location of the original dam across the Amstel), down to Dam Square (several ATMs there to get some Euros), jog over to Kalverstraat (a pedestrian only street) that leads to several interesting places including the Amsterdam museum (history of the city), then the Mint Tower and the flower market are nearby. You can loop back around and make your way back to the ship along a different road/canal/hop on a tram or keep going to Leidseplein.

One stop we didn't make but wish we had is the terrace on the 7th floor of the central library. I know it sounds weird but it and the Skyline lounge at the Hilton are 2 places that are suppose to have the best views of the city. Both are very close to where the ship docks. The library has a cafe that is part of the V&D department store so you can grab a drink there or have lunch. We never made it to this location (and had lousy weather for views) but did eat at the V&D at the end of Kalverstraat. Best split pea soup ever. Easy, self serve, and inexpensive.

And again, the cruise or tour director at the ship will give you help and suggestions.

One caution, if possible, leave your passport with the ship front desk (they'll probably ask for it anyway) and try not to take any more valuables with you around the city than you have to. Make sure to keep money, credit cards, camera etc. safe. My husband and I both have money belts that tuck into our clothes and I have a Pacsafe shoulder bag with added security features. Pick pockets are alive and well in Europe.

Enjoy
  • Options
    Hi - We live in coastal Maine and will be traveling from Amsterdam to Budapest on the MS Esprit, departing on October 8.
  • Options
    DeniseinRB wrote:
    Do you know what time the transfer from the hotel in Budapest to the boat is?

Not sure if you got an answer on this. Typically the pick up depends on the cruise start time - 4pm for your cruise. I would expect the pick up time to be between 3-3:30. The tour directors will be at the hotel the morning of the cruise start to answer questions including that one.

We have breakfast, check in with the TDs, get extra luggage tags if we want them to take our carryons with the checked bags, get our bags ready for pick up in the room, check out at the front desk, then spend the rest of the day touring. While we're gone our bags magically move from the hotel room to our ship stateroom ready to be unpacked. Gotta love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file