Options

Clothes spray

We were advised by our county health department to spray our clothes with insect repellent. Do you know if this is standard practice?

Comments

• Options
    I actually was out at REI today looking at the Sawyer Permethrin clothing spray for bugs. I have had several people on the Africa forum recommend this product. I would like to know from any of you that might read this subject, if you had any damage to your clothing as result of spraying, and also, if any lasting smell on clothing.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Permethrin does not damage clothes nor does it have any aroma. You can even buy pretreated clothes. The treatment lasts through several washings. It is non-toxic once dry. You should wear a mask when applying it though.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's a standard thing to do. As Alan says, does not damage clothes or smell. We either take all our clothing outside and hang under our high deck and then spray and let dry, wear protection over your eyes and mouth. If it's a cold winter when we want to do this we hang everything from the beams in our unfinished basement. You can get through a lot of spray, so these days we just spray around all the clothing openings---neck, around wrist area and ankles. All this is safer than having additional Deet on your skin, by wearing long pants and sleeves and spraying. You should wash all Deet off your skin before going to bed when the mosquito nets take over. Because you don't 'See' mosquitoes, it does not mean they are not there. They lurk around in a solitary way and wait to pounce on you when they are attracted to your carbon dioxide exhalations and maybe the skin odor.
  • Options
    Agree with what has been written.

Sawyer Permethrin clothing spray is readily available at places like REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.

Please note that you ought to read the instructions (which are in the smallest font you may ever see!)... it takes a lot more of the spray than you might think. I just treated my daughters clothes this week for a trip to the Amazon... and will do mine soon for this trip in September.

We used it for a family of four in 2014 and had NO problems with any damage or discoloration to the clothing and gear. And - surprisingly - there really is no odor/smell.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Just wondering which clothes need to be treated. Everything but underwear? Also, I've read that clothes treated with permethrin should not be laundered with other clothes because of the chemicals. How does that possibly work on the tour when the safari lodge staff is laundering our clothes?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Just wondering which clothes need to be treated. Everything but underwear? Also, I've read that clothes treated with permethrin should not be laundered with other clothes because of the chemicals. How does that possibly work on the tour when the safari lodge staff is laundering our clothes?

I have not read anything about not washing treated clothes with non-treated clothes. Just treat outerwear, shirts, trousers, socks, at a minimum at openings- neck, sleeves, waist, ankles.

Permethrin is safe. It is only hazardous to humans if ingested or inhaled in large amounts when wet when you treat your clothes or if you drink it. Google it- "Very high doses have tangible neurotoxic effects on mammals and birds, including human beings." "In general, it has a low mammalian toxicity and is poorly absorbed by skin." "The EPA states "...There is reasonable certainty that Permethrin-treated clothing poses no harm to infants or children"." It is actually a lot safer than bug repellents containing DEET that are applied to skin!

One of the big advantages of Permethrin is that it is persistent; retains it's effectiveness through several (up to 6) washes. US and British military pre-treat all new combat uniforms.
  • Options

Yes, I knew you are not supposed to launder with other clothing, but shock horror, even I do! Otherwise every time I wash something I wear in Africa I would have to wash it separately and I would never get out of the laundry room.
  • Options
    Just wondered if you spray your clothing before you leave home or once you get to Africa?
  • Options
    HuntNfun wrote:
    Just wondered if you spray your clothing before you leave home or once you get to Africa?

Before you leave, you don't want the hassle after you arrive. Do it outdoors and wear a cheap paper or cloth particulate mask. There is no need for the fancy VOC spray painting mask I'm wearing. Once dry, bring your clothes in and hang them up or pack them.

IMG_1486r.jpg