Options

Face masks -- needed? Permethrin for clothing?

I have been following the news about Delhi's pollution...and one Tauck traveler in a recent posting suggested a face mask with filters. I already went to a travel doc to begin my shots and there was no suggestion that a mask was needed. I do not have respiratory issues. I would like to hear the opinion of others -

Also my doc suggested spraying my clothing with Permethrin..this is recommended by the CDC. Although I have read posts regarding travel to Africa recommending this, I have not read anything like this on the forum regarding travel to India. I guess better to be safe than sorry, but I would like to hear from the group!

Thanks in advance!!
Nancy

Comments

• Options
    I think if you have no respiratory issues, you will be fine. You are only in Delhi for a couple of days. I only took the 'Spotlight ' tour, so I can only speak for the part of the tour that covers that, but there were no other air pollution issues we noticed anywhere else. It certainly would do no harm spraying your clothing with Permethrin. It's an extra precaution along with Deet and malaria meds.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I don't think you would want to wear the type of mask needed to adequately protect you from Delhi's pollution! You would need more than one of the cheap, single ply paper or cloth 'surgical-style' masks. You need something more substantial- an N95 or N99 mask, a good, true surgical mask, multi-ply mask, possibly with an activated charcoal layer and exhaust valve, and one that conforms tightly to your face, or best yet, a rubber or silicone mask with replaceable filter cartridges. None are very fashionable. Look at some of these beauties on Amazon!

While the pollution can be dangerous if you have lung problems or will be in that environment for an extended period, you should be ok for the short time you will be there on tour.

There is plenty of info like this on Google:

"New Delhi has already earned the dubious distinction of having the dirtiest air of any city in the world — surpassing even Beijing — thanks to its toxic brew of diesel exhaust, construction dust, industrial emissions and the widespread burning of biofuels for cooking."

"The pollution levels in Delhi require you to wear an N99 mask, which gives protection from particles upto 0.3 micron upto 99%. These masks also protect against viruses, bacteria and volatile organic compounds. These masks generally have a filtration layer made up of activated carbon which should be silver treated. Silver treatment is necessary as it disinfects the activated carbon layer in the mask, which absorbs bacteria and viruses."

"Inexpensive cloth masks commonly used by people in India and China to reduce exposure to air pollution may not be effective and could be giving users a false sense of security, scientists have warned.

Researchers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst believe this is the first study to rigorously test disposable surgical masks and washable cloth masks, which are widely used in Asia and Southeast Asia for personal protection against airborne particulate matter."
  • Options
    I visited India last year on a Tauck tour and did not experience any problems with pollution. Of course, I also visited China and had no problems, so maybe I'm just lucky. I'm 72 with no serious health problems, so other than the suggested vaccinations, I don't do anything else prior or during my travels.

Enjoy the trip to India, it is fantastic place to visit. It was one of the best trips I've taken and would love to return sometime.
  • Options
    Thank you all!! I am grateful for your commentary ...very reassuring. I could not imagine wearing one of those masks...Thankfully!!
  • Options
    You will need face masks for New Delhi. We used a variety of them. Strongest filtration from the 3M industrial unit that screens out the bacteria and air-borne burnt feces. In Japan, face masks are a fashion statement, but in Delhi the population has yet to adopt colorful face masks. You will need to change out the masks as they get pretty filthy as the days pass.

We did not notice the need for Permethrin spraying during India. We are spraying everything (including socks) for the African tours.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Kathryn,
    did many in your group bring/wear face masks? if they did not bring them, were masks readily available for purchase? I have not yet received my final 'package' from Tauck - and it seems that if face masks were needed, then masks would be on the list for packing.
    Nancy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file