Weather swings in the UK in June

Hello,
I have reviewed the weather avgs for UK in June and it looks to be about 70 degF, but I was wondering about the change in temp in the evening. I am wondering if there are large 10-20 degree swings from day to night.

Any help from people who have been on the trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shelley

Comments

• edited February 2014
    slockwood wrote:
    Hello,
    I have reviewed the weather avgs for UK in June and it looks to be about 70 degF, but I was wondering about the change in temp in the evening. I am wondering if there are large 10-20 degree swings from day to night.

Any help from people who have been on the trip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shelley

This is a tough one- the answer is- "it depends."

For example, just before the Olympics they were having one of the coldest, wettest spring/early summers in years. Everything cleared and warmed for the Olympics.

We were on the 7 July 2013 trip last year and had a slightly different experience- unbelievably, there was not a drop of rain for the entire two weeks! It was warm, even hot on occasions, and sunny the entire two weeks. Locals were suffering from the heat! The Langdale hotel in the lake district had to break out portable fans for the rooms because there was no air conditioning- it is rarely if ever needed. I mostly wore shorts and short sleeve shirts during the day and never wore anything more than a wind breaker on a few evenings. I brought along a couple of sweaters and a few long sleeve shirts- I never wore the sweaters and only rarely wore a long sleeve shirt (welcome dinner & farewell dinner?).

On the other hand, before our departure I was reading and looking at photos on one of the E,S,W travel blogs- one photo showed a crowd at the Military Tatoo held at Edinburgh Castle in evenings in August- it was cold and rainy- the people were bundled up and looked fairly miserable.

So, I guess my answer is, yes there maybe a drop in temperature in the evenings, but I don't think it will be anything like the dessert or high altitudes. It is rarely clear and dry, so there is little radiation cooling in the evenings. Weather often passes through the countryside quickly- I believe there is a saying over there, "If you don't like the weather in the UK, just wait 15 minutes". My recommendation, is to be prepared for both extremes- take a day bag on the bus so you can carry a light jacket, windbreaker, or sweater or stow it there if it warms up. As has often been said, if you bring clothes that you can layer, you can't go wrong.

Wikipedia has a nice climate summary here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • The weather in June in England can be warm, but it may also be cool and wet. It is almost always cool in the mornings and evenings even if has been a hot day it cools off in the evening especially if you are sitting around outside. I am sure most Americans would be more comfortable in a light jacket
  • As an Australian who lives in the tropics I'm following this thread closely. We're doing the tour starting on 10th August and with still 6 months to go have had long and involved discussions between the two of us about what to pack. We're leaning towards the layer principle as I prefer to be too hot than too cold.
  • We were on the Aigust 9th tour in 2013, and it was cooler during the day than I had expected. I needed a sweater every day. Layering is a good idea. There could be a heat wave or it could be cool.
  • My friends in England complained that it was a particularly cool summer. Again, best advice, take layers for all eventualities.
  • As a resident in England I have to say that our climate can be a bit unpredictable. Remember those Jubilee celebrations a couple of years ago when it tippedrain down all day? Well, last year, once the rainy Spring was out of the way it was a scorcher with not much of a drop at night. June is generally known as "flaming June" but does not live up to that name in every year. We do have many state occasions scheduled at that time like the Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour). Last year all our grass went brown for many weeks.
    As a previous writer has said come prepared with layers, but I would add that if you keep an eye on trends up to your visit that would be the best guide.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file