Amsterdam Museum?

We are trying to figure out which museum to visit in Amsterdam the day following the cruise? Does anyone know which museum is included as a part of the trip, can't find that information on-line. We were thinking of the Van Gogh Museum on our added day and realize we should buy tickets before leaving home.

Comments

• I don't know if Anne Frank's House is included in your tour, but if you want to visit it on your own, you should obtain a ticket on-line, because the admission line is always very long.

Sergio
  • edited May 2014
    gregdude wrote:
    We are trying to figure out which museum to visit in Amsterdam the day following the cruise? Does anyone know which museum is included as a part of the trip, can't find that information on-line. We were thinking of the Van Gogh Museum on our added day and realize we should buy tickets before leaving home.

We visited several museums in Amsterdam last fall. The Van Gogh was great and you'd be well-advised to book in advance since the queue can be long. The Rijksmuseum (very close to the Van Gogh Museum) has fully reopened after 10 years of remodeling and was also a great visit. Also book in advance, if possible. You can do both in a day.

I also agree that the Anne Frank House is worth visiting. It is some distance from the Van Gogh Museum.
  • Gregdude, call Tauck to find out the museums you will be visiting, that is the easiest thing, unless you wait for your final documents that should arrive about one month before your departure and there is likely to be more details on those. I do not know if that gives you enough time, just a month to book tickets for the days and times you want. It's twenty years since we had a long weekend in Amsterdam. No computer ticketing in those days. All those three places are wonderful, the paintings, Wow! Anne Frank's house, I just can't describe how it makes you feel and hearing all the people speaking languages from all over the world waiting in line to see this small home.
    As a child in England, the iconic children's show, Blue Peter interviewed Anne's aged father not long before he died. It made such an impression on me and Anne's diary is so moving.
    I have to say the funniest thing I remember about the trip is walking in the red light district and watching a group of young American guys flip out at seeing all the prostitutes showing their wears in the windows, I think they thought they had died and gone to heaven.

• We called Tauck one month prior to our departure and Tauck was able to tell us what time our included museum tour would end. Since the Riksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum are in the same area, it may be practical to see them both the same day even though one will be on your own. Tauck would need to confirm this for your voyage though.

Tauck was also able to tell us the time of our transfer to the Tauck hotel the following day. We then were able to book our tickets to the Anne Frank house for the afternoon after disembarkation.

There was still good online availability of museum tickets one month prior to departure, so most likely it will be fine to wait until Tauck finalizes their schedule before purchasing your independent tickets. Once you receive your final documentation, give Tauck a call to obtain additional information regarding their schedule so you can finalize your plans.
  • Hi everyone,

While I've never been to Amsterdam myself, it sounds like you're picking a lot of the major sites. I do know for a fact that a visit to the Rijksmuseum is included on your trip. I have a few friends who have visited Amsterdam in the past, and I've heard from them that Vondelpark is supposed to be quite beautiful, and may be worth checking out. Albert Cuypmarkt is a year-round streetmarket that is fun for a quick visit.

Also, when you're visiting Amsterdam, you should definitely make a point to pick up stroopwafels — if you're unfamiliar with this Dutch delicacy, it's made of two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle. They are incredibly delicious.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • gregdude,

You've picked two wonderful museums to tour on your extra day in Amsterdam. The Anne Frank Museum is very moving. The Van Gogh Museum is fantastic with numerous examples of his wonderful artistry. I also have a couple of other suggestions of things to do that day. Ask your concierge to make reservations for you to have dinner at one of Amsterdam's numerous rice table restaurants. They're very popular and the food is quite good. They were made popular because of the Netherlands' trade with the East India Co. during the period of colonization. Then, after dinner, take a nighttime canal cruise. They're not expensive, and nighttime Amsterdam is beautiful, so even if you've taken a daytime canal cruise, this will be different. Amsterdam is a wonderful city. We spent 3 extra days there several years ago between two Tauck tours and were never bored.
  • Thanks all, very helpful, now I'm thinking we may need another day in amsterdam!
  • Try the Van Gogh museum. If you like this, it is amazing.
    some on the trip asked our director to get reservations for the Anne Frank.
    Don't know if it worked, but someone said to go over at 6-7:00PM because it is less crowded.
  • edited July 2014
    For a slightly off piste suggestion … almost opposite the Van Gogh Museum, housed in a four/five story Dutch house, is the House of Bols. It's a museum dedicated to the Dutch spirit, Genever … basically a type of gin. I rarely drink cocktails, and only occasionally gin … but the history of the drink and it's place in Dutch social and economic history is fascinating. It's a really interesting journey through tastes and aromas. A cocktail is included in the price of entry. I donated mine to another visitor. It was a fun way to spend an hour after the brain food in the nearby galleries and museums.

Cheers,

Jan

PS: Entry is reserved for adults, so no kiddie winkies!
  • Thanks, that is a great idea, will go and check it out!
  • Yes, I thought that was an excellent find, too! For a non-cocktail drinking girl. Mind you, some of those very special Genevers come in very special-looking stone containers. So there's history and economic aspects (already mentioned) and interior design is covered, as well. It's not like I'm sending you to the pub for the afternoon. This is just an extension of the cultural thing. That's my line and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

Jan
  • gregdude wrote:
  • gregdude wrote:

Ann Frank(do not miss this ) and Van Gogh are both important to visit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file