Yellowstone in Winter January 12, 2015

Just checking in to see if anyone scheduled for this trip is looking at the Travel Forum. It is still 3.5 months away but it is nice to see who will be with me. I have been to Yellowstone at least a dozen times, but never in winter. I have a couple of friends who have been there at that time (on their own; not with Tauck) and they say, "You've never been to Yellowstone unless you have been in winter." I figured I'd see if they are right.

I will be traveling solo. I did the African Safari to Kenya and Tanzania solo and had a wonderful time. I met some magnificent people there. They, combined with a great itinerary, made the trip special.

I am eager to talk to anyone who is going on this trip.

I am following this one with the Antarctica trip (I'll drop another note for that one).

Comments

• I went on this Tauck trip this past January, and it was an awesome experience! It was my first time in Yellowstone, a place I had always wanted to visit, and being there in the desolation of winter was something very special. You will get to see a LOT of bison and other wild life (we even got to spot a fox).

The weather was excellent throughout, cold but not unbearable, and we had some snow at the end of the trip.

Here's a link to my photos of the trip (you can view it as a slideshow):

https://picasaweb.google.com/115520979706388828246/60Yellowstone1221402?authkey=Gv1sRgCLywsOOn_bWVLg

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer. Have a great time!

Sergio
  • ndvb wrote:
    Just checking in to see if anyone scheduled for this trip is looking at the Travel Forum. It is still 3.5 months away but it is nice to see who will be with me. I have been to Yellowstone at least a dozen times, but never in winter. I have a couple of friends who have been there at that time (on their own; not with Tauck) and they say, "You've never been to Yellowstone unless you have been in winter." I figured I'd see if they are right.

I will be traveling solo. I did the African Safari to Kenya and Tanzania solo and had a wonderful time. I met some magnificent people there. They, combined with a great itinerary, made the trip special.

I am eager to talk to anyone who is going on this trip.

I am following this one with the Antarctica trip (I'll drop another note for that one).

ndvb
    I just reserved this trip for 2016 and look forward to your thoughts on the trip. I haven't been to Yellowstone in over 45 years, and it was summer then. I will also be traveling solo, but will be joined on the trip by a new friend from the Best of Ireland tour I recently completed. I agree with you that the people and the itineraries make these trips special.
  • Nice pictures, Miami.

Hope I can get some nice ones as well.

Still waiting to hear from anyone making this trip on January 12th. I am getting to Bozeman a day early. Not sure what I am going to do. I've read about dog sledding, snowmobiling (probably my favorite), horseback riding.....who knows. I am not sure yet. I am going to see if there is a helicopter trip around the area and over the northern part of the park. That would be great...maybe a puddle jumper fixed wing if I can't find a chopper trip.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Always looking for interesting, new things to do on a trip....before or after.

Hopefully some folks will drop in and let us know they will be on this trip. I am traveling solo. That always seems to make for interesting scenarios when going out on free time. Supposedly, there are at least three "soloists" taking this adventure.

Hear from you soon?
  • Still trying to communicate with the folks on this trip. I don't know what I am going to do the day before the trip starts. If someone on the trip has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I think there are some snowmobile trips but I haven't really looked for anything yet.

• I am still looking for folks who are taking this trip. It is only 7 weeks away....and that will fly by. I guess I'll make reservations at the restaurant for the evening before the trip since I am getting there a day early. Hopefully, others can join me. I think I'll try and sign up for either a dog sled ride or a snowmobile trip on the 11th. If anyone out there is thinking the same thing, let me know. If I had my druthers, I would spend a couple of hours in a helicopter or puddle jumper flying around for some aerial picture taking. I guess I'll have to look into all of those options.
  • Hello.
    We are going, but our trip starts on Jan 3, 2015 . . . You are right - it is really quiet. We usually cruise, so am used to lots of communication preparing for the trip. However, given the trip is comprised of less than 20 on this trip vs 700 passengers on a cruise ship, guess statistically, it's understandable.

I do have questions regarding any additional expeditions to book, so if anyone can provide us with some guidance, would appreciate it much!

We are really looking forward to this trip. Being in a snow-filled environment without the skiers or boarders is very appealing! :-)
  • We are booked on a February 2015 departure and have made a couple of arrangements for extra activities.

We are arriving at the Chico Hot Springs Hotel a day early and have arranged a half day dog sledding excursion through the company that is based at the hotel:
    http://www.absarokadogsledtreks.com/
    We have signed up for the half day Yukon Trek. I had a very short dog sledding experience at Girdwood, Alaska some years ago, and it was a blast! I'm sure that the longer dog sled trek at Chico Hot Springs will be even more fun!

Here is a link to the winter activities available at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge:
    http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/things-to-do/winter-things-to-do/winter-activities-at-snow-lodge/

Last night we requested the half day Madison Wildlife Excursion for our free day at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge. Tauck's 2015 tour departures are on various days of the week, so this excursion will only work for some of the departures, since it is not offered daily.

Years ago I did a full day snowmobiling excursion at Aspen and it was a lot of fun. The Snow Lodge only offers full day excursions, but I wanted something shorter for this trip. Hence we signed up for the shorter snow coach tour that covers a different area than we will be visiting on the Tauck excursions.

We visited Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons in summer a decade ago and are excited to be returning for a winter adventure!
  • Here we are, time is getting down there! We are the 3 solos traveling together from New England. Never been to Yellowstone and are so looking forward to it! We too, are arriving on the 11th, a day early..and have booked a dog sled excursion for the 12th, as our group won't be convening until dinner. Sign up, and we'll see you there!
    http://www.absarokadogsledtreks.com/
  • I called about the dogsled ride, but they are booked. I am on the waiting list. We'll see what happens. I might try to find a helicopter or fixed wing flight over the area.
  • OK, I am starting to plan what stuff I need to take on this trip and on the trip to Antarctica and have a question for people who have been in this particular trip (Yellowstone in Winter). I have the appropriate waterproof, rubber boots for the Antarctica trip and wonder if they will be the footwear of preference for Yellowstone also. I can actually send them to a friends house in Phoenix who I will be visiting on my way from Wyoming to Argentina. That would save some luggage space on the first few flights. If I don't use those boots, will hiking boots suffice? I am not sure how much deep snow we will be walking in at Yellowstone. If need be, I can pack the big boots for the Yellowstone trip and fill them full of other clothes to utilize the dead space and forget the hiking boots. Either way will work for me. I just don't want to haul the big boots around until I have to use them.

I am already shipping some summer clothes to Phoenix to use during that time and will probably ship my heavy winter coat that I will be using in Yellowstone home with the summer stuff, since we get a parka on the Antarctica tour. I can ship my hiking boots also if they would make a better shoe for the Wyoming trip.

I just know that the Argentinian flights are much more weight focused than my other flights. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them.

I hope to see some of you on either of these trips.
  • edited December 2014
    ndvb wrote:
    OK, I am starting to plan what stuff I need to take on this trip and on the trip to Antarctica and have a question for people who have been in this particular trip (Yellowstone in Winter). I have the appropriate waterproof, rubber boots for the Antarctica trip and wonder if they will be the footwear of preference for Yellowstone also. I can actually send them to a friends house in Phoenix who I will be visiting on my way from Wyoming to Argentina. That would save some luggage space on the first few flights. If I don't use those boots, will hiking boots suffice? I am not sure how much deep snow we will be walking in at Yellowstone. If need be, I can pack the big boots for the Yellowstone trip and fill them full of other clothes to utilize the dead space and forget the hiking boots. Either way will work for me. I just don't want to haul the big boots around until I have to use them.

I am already shipping some summer clothes to Phoenix to use during that time and will probably ship my heavy winter coat that I will be using in Yellowstone home with the summer stuff, since we get a parka on the Antarctica tour. I can ship my hiking boots also if they would make a better shoe for the Wyoming trip.

I just know that the Argentinian flights are much more weight focused than my other flights. If anyone has suggestions, I am open to them.

I hope to see some of you on either of these trips.

I've been to both Yellowstone in winter and the Antarctic...the Antarctic is MUCH warmer. The waterproof boots could work in Yellowstone if they are loose enough for multiple pairs of wool socks. In the Antarctic, you have wet landings and temperatures near freezing...in Yellowstone, the temperatures are likely to be (well) below zero (Fahrenheit...i.e., much colder than the Antarctic). In Yellowstone, you won't need to trek through deep snow. If you are off of more-or-less plowed walks, you'll be on snowshoes (optional, but which won't work particularly well with the rubber boats). I understand your desire to pack once for both trips, but they are way different. You'll need serious cold weather clothing for Yellowstone, but in the Antarctic you mostly need good waterproof boots, waterproof pants (for the Zodiac rides) and a good parka (provided). Hiking boots are essentially worthless in the Antarctic...even for the shore hikes, I just wore the rubber boots (with good socks).

Hope this helps.
  • That helps a lot. Thanks. I'll just send my heavy rubber boots to Phoenix to exchange for the hiking boots. I can then send the heavy winter coat and the hiking boots home from there and pack the rubber boots for the next trip. It all makes sense to me. I had a feeling that was the best way to handle this, but you certainly confirmed it for me. Greatly appreciated!!!
  • I just got a call from the dog sledding company and I have moved off of the wait list on to the active list for the 12th. I am practicing my whip cracking....not really.
  • ndvb wrote:
    I am practicing my whip cracking....not really.
    I feel a certain Doris Day song coming on ........... And almost geographically appropriate, too!
  • Is that from her movie "Calamity Jane" and the "Whip Crack Away."
  • ndvb wrote:
    Is that from her movie "Calamity Jane" and the "Whip Crack Away."
    ;)
  • Alright, the time has come to make final preparations for the trip tomorrow (1 day early). Almost everything is packed and within all weight limits...at least until l make the second trip in Antarctica. Dog sledding on Monday morning, National Championship game Monday night....I know, this has nothing to do with Tauck or this trip....and the opening dinner that night before the game. That meeting starts at 1830.....only an hour before kickoff. I might have to borrow someone's notes on that meeting.

RLMSLL and DMM, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow or Monday. Travel safely.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!

• ndvb wrote:
    Alright, the time has come to make final preparations for the trip tomorrow (1 day early). Almost everything is packed and within all weight limits...at least until l make the second trip in Antarctica. Dog sledding on Monday morning, National Championship game Monday night....I know, this has nothing to do with Tauck or this trip....and the opening dinner that night before the game. That meeting starts at 1830.....only an hour before kickoff. I might have to borrow someone's notes on that meeting.

RLMSLL and DMM, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow or Monday. Travel safely.

GO BUCKEYES!!!!!
    Have a great time!
  • Just got back from this trip. It was a great adventure. The venue is breathtaking and the people were fun to travel with. Jim did a great job organizing the daily excursions and giving out information.

I got there a day early and spent the evening checking out Chico Hot Springs facility. Day 1. The first actual day of the trip, I went dog sledding with the Absoroka Dog Sledding group (Mat and Hannah). It was great. I thought we might not have enough snow but once we went up a bit in elevation there was plenty on the trail. The dogs were so excited and are treated fabulously. It was interesting to see them being hooked up to the sled and how excited they were to go for a run.

I missed the opening meeting because I was in the saloon (there are no TVs in the rooms--which is a good thing) watching the Buckeyes win a National Championship. Jim came by, introduced himself, and gave my any relevant information I needed.

Day 2. We again met the dog sledding group and they showed the entire group a Dog Sled 101. After lunch, we went out into the park for some views of the beautiful landscape and animals--which we found many. After the trip along the Yellowstone River, several "pit stops," and some great Kodak moments, we stayed that night at the Mammoth Hot Springs hotel. It isn't the Ritz, but for a National Park property it was nice. The food was good but the service leaves a bit to be desired. We had a nice presentation by Bob Landis on wildlife.

Day 3. This morning we went into the Lamar Valley looking for wolves and other wildlife. The prey come down from the heavy snow banks of the mountains and the wolves follow. We had lunch in Cooke City. Dinner and hotel were again in the Mammoth Hotel.

Day 4. Off to the Old Faithful in the tracked vehicles. More bison and other animals and enjoy a boxed lunch. This was a "thermal features" day, and are they something. They effect the entire look of the area, including the trees, roads, pathways, etc. Of course, we saw Old Faithful blow its stack. Some of us went out that afternoon and with the clear weather and blue skied backdrop--it was great.

Day 5. A morning walk around the Old Faithful grounds was a great way to use the free time. Jim discussed the various features in the area. It got a little slippery on the frozen surfaces, but there were no issues. Jim took a group out snow-shoeing later that day.

Day 6. We took the "Bombardiers" over the snow for a look at the interior of the park. They are loud and cramped, but served us well. More great opportunities to see animals. Box lunch. Great photo ops.

Day 7. Bombardiers again for the drive to Jackson Hole. Not the most comfortable ride, but it is what it is. We stopped along Lake Yellowstone and in the West Thumb basin. We ate at Dornan's restaurant on the way. Good homestyle food and beer. It would have been great views of the Tetons, but it was overcast. We took a horse drawn sleigh through an Elk Refuge. It was raining, but it was interesting to see hundreds of elk around the creek area. Next stop, the Wort Hotel in Jackson Hole. Nice hotel. Lots of places to eat on our own. A lot of shopping areas.

Day 8. Free Day. Wandered around town, looked in a few shops, bought some souvenirs, ate at the Liberty Burger restaurant for lunch, went for a taxi ride with some others to see if we could get some views of the Tetons. They were a bit clearer, but still somewhat overcast. On the drive back to Jackson Hole we stopped for photos and got some close ups of a couple of moose that walked in front of the car. We also saw a large elk standing on top of a hill in the skyline--good pictures again. Dinner at the National Museum of Wildlife Art. Nice place with some grand artworks. The food was very good and it was a nice farewell for everyone on the trip.

Day 9. Up before the crack of dawn and off to the airport.

Any questions?
  • Hi ndvb,

It sounds like you had a fantastic time! :) I'm glad to hear!

-Tim
  • ndvb - I am now booked on the Feb 10, 2016 tour and enjoyed reading your review. I am wondering if you had any problems with your camera equipment with the cold temperatures? I have a newer digital that I purchased for my Ireland trip last year. I have heard that batteries can drain quickly in cold weather. Am also looking to do the dog sledding with Absoroka and was wondering which excursion you did.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
  • Hi, schnapshi,

We are just finishing the last trip of the season and are waiting for our transfer to the airport. It is a fantastic trip and far exceeded our expectations!

We did not have any issues with our digital camera batteries. We recharged them each day and never had to switch them out with our spares during the day. This year has bern warmer than typical, so future years may be colder and harder on the batteries.

We did the Absaroka Yukon dogsled trip, which is the intermediate length trip, and highly recomment that trip. Those that took the shorter Tenderfoot trip wished they had taken the longer Yukon trip. The full day Denali trip is more physically demanding. The Yukon trip is the perfect length for most people.

Wildlife sighting were amazing on the trip! We saw two packs of wolves and heard them communicating. We saw coyotes, ravens, and an eagle feasting on a carcass on the shoreline of a river. We saw a red fox at the top of a snow covered hill pouncing on a rodent under the snow! This was beside our road, and National Geographic would have loved to get that footage.

It is a great trip!
  • edited February 2015
    I was on the same tour 3 years ago (Feb. 2012) and also did the Absaroka Denali (all day) dogsled trip. It was just the guide, me, and 14 dogs. :-) True, it was cold with plenty of snow and a bit of a challenge; we did stop for lunch on top of the mountain midway during the run. The reason why so many dogs was that the dogs really needed to run and the 1/2 day and less was just not enough time for them to do so. Although the Denali run would be a bit too much for many folks, I found it to be exhilarating and a lifetime experience. :-)
  • Thank you tomh and RLMSLL for the information. I am really looking forward to all of the wildlife. Also glad to hear you didn't have any trouble with the camera batteries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file