Amazing Trip

2»

Comments

• I always was lead to believe that most people got bitten on the hand when they put it to their backside when they wondered what they had sat on!!!!!!!!!!! and that is usually women who do that. But I am waiting to hear what the real experts say.
  • Mmmm. Another red back spider response?
  • Great blog - Thank's for sharing it Nick. I just booked this trip. It will be my 3rd trip to Africa and I am so looking forward to getting back there. I have a question about your elephant ride - did you make arrangements with Falcon once you arrived in Zambia or before you arrived? Also, did you see any Cheetah's on this trip?? I would love to go over the bridge into Zimbabwe and visit Sylvester, the cheetah who resides at the Elephant Camp but I don't think that will be possible. Last October, when I was in Zimbabwe, I was able to take Sylvester for a walk - something I will never forget.
  • Oh yes, Sylvester was there when we went a couple of years ago! Isn't it a treat!
  • British - Your'e right - it really was a treat and I got some really great pictures of me with him. I also did the lion encounter when I was there. I did it on my own because it wasn't part of our trip but I see we are going to a similar facility in Zambia on my next trip. I hope it's as good as the one I went to in Zimbabwe because that was fabulous. It was such a thrill to be hands on with the lions - would like to do that again.
  • TravelGuy,
    No need to worry about snakes. I only saw 2 the whole time andthey were harmless grass snakes. That said, you will want to have coverage for bush walks, and the lion encounter, but that's because of the thorns, and socks/pants are plenty of protection.
  • Drjenny:

Thanks for the tip about leg coverage.
  • For you folks that have taken the tour, how was the experience regarding customs at the ports of entry for these three countries?
  • as for customs, it seemed easier to me than it is in the u.s. (you don't even have to take off your shoes for security). the only time you are on your own for that is when you come into south africa, then zambia on the first day. after that, your guide makes all the arrangements and helps you get through. we were all so worried about having that yellow fever card available and i swear no one ever even looked at it!
  • I went on this trip back in September 2013 and I still read this forum almost every day. I must/need to go on this trip again. I don't think any other trip in my lifetime has or will live up to this one

Cheers!
  • Good to know!!! I am going on it in June 2015 and can't wait. I went to Kenya and Tanzania in March and fell in love with Africa, therefore, I am going back. What was your favorite part of the trip? I hear the Cape Town city tour is just so,so. Maybe I will go on an elephant safari that day and not do Cape Town. What was your take?

Well, you better get back there and soon!
  • I did the Kenya & Tanzania tour September 2012 and Elegant Adventure in September 2013 and I've booked this trip for September 2015. I, too, fell in love with Africa and can't wait to go back. Nice to hear that this trip is so amazing.
  • Good to know!!! I am going on it in June 2015 and can't wait. I went to Kenya and Tanzania in March and fell in love with Africa, therefore, I am going back. What was your favorite part of the trip? I hear the Cape Town city tour is just so,so. Maybe I will go on an elephant safari that day and not do Cape Town. What was your take?

Are you going to be able to easily do an elephant safari, it is not on the hotel excursions list. I can't quite remember how far out of the city you have to be to see the game wildlife--- no need since I do Tauck so I don't have figure out those logistics. I have been to Cape Town on the other Tauck Elegant Adventure and spent a couple of extra days there, I love Cape Town. I think it would be worth seeing if this is possible before you go. Personally, I would not describe anything about Cape Town as 'so so' but I will be interested in how you find this tour as it is the only Tauck Africa I have not yet taken.
  • I think I got too full of myself, stating I was going to go on an elephant safari. It is a day trip, I believe and not necessarily a safari. It is only 30 mins or so out of town.

Hi Carlsbadsue,

Sorry for extremely late reply. I am not sure if your comments were directed to me but incase they are, here are some answers (I hope :0)

My favorite part of the trip, oh man that is a really hard question to answer. Seal island was amazing, dinner at the locals house really gave an 'insiders' view, seeing that first lion in Khwai left me speechless. Actually I don't want to give too much away about what I saw, well I'd be happy to write a book about the whole trip. For me not knowing what was coming next really enhanced my experience.

IMHO the tour of Cape Town can be so-so depending on your perspective. If you want to learn more about the history and culture of Cape Town and SA then you'll love it. For me, the first day my wife and I got there we took the hop-on/hop-off bus tour. Was good. Also, if you have time I'd highly recommend Table Mountain and Signal Hill. The views from both are fantastic and the ride up Table Mountain was amazing. There was snow on top of table mountain. They said they hadn't had snow up there in 14 years. Someone even made a little snowman on one of the picnic tables. We were really lucky to see the snow up there. Wasn't alot. If you are going to Table Mountain and you are going on the cable car ride up, make sure you do it when you have the chance and not say 'ah lets do that later'. They frequently stop the cable car rides up if clouds etc.....

Cheers!

Rich