What to wear?

We are going to Italy in late June.
Can you were shorts?
Also can you wear jeans? And jean shorts?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    My only thought would be that denim fabric is such a heavy fabric when suitcase weight is a factor. We try to avoid such heavy cloth just for this reason unless the climate demands some warmth and Italy certainly does not at that time of year. Just as an example, when our suitcases were weighed at the airport this very morning, I had about twelve pairs of long pants, numerous long sleeve t -shirts, 2 books and pretty much everything else you can imagine. One suitcase weighed 36 pounds, one 42.5 pounds, I really don't know which was mine and we did not mix our clothes his and hers this trip. I think denim clothing would have weighed far more.
  • Hi Bucket Grandma,

Generally speaking, people don't usually wear shorts while walking around Italy, even in warm weather. The culture there tends to be a bit more formal than many other Western cultures — for men, slacks, khakis, or jeans along with dress shirts are generally preferred, and for women, slacks and a blouse or dresses. This is particularly true when eating in restaurants or visiting churches or cathedrals; most Catholic churches require that your knees and shoulders be covered when you enter, even during the hot days of summer. It is possible that you might get turned away and not allowed entry if you do not follow that guideline. However, Jjans should be fine, as long as they're clean and in good condition, but they would be heavier and warmer than many other fabrics, like British noted.

I hope this helps!

-Tim
  • edited January 2015
    I realise I haven't written anything in a while but that's simply because I haven't visited the regions being commented on and as such would have had nothing to add to the conversation BUT I can on this subject because we toured Rome in September 2011. I'm sorry to have to disagree with you Tim but I've never read such misleading information as you posted above. Just to be sure of my facts I went back and looked at the many photo's we took during our 10 day stay in Rome. It is totally wrong to write and suggest that Italian men and women for that matter don't wear shorts because they do. It is wrong to write that it is frowned upon to wear shorts into a Catholic church. It is not. The only thing you should never wear in a church gentlemen is a hat or cap. We and thousands of other men wearing shorts were never turned away from any place of worship. Far from being a more formal culture when it comes to dress we found Italians to be casual not only in their dress but also in their nature. They are very friendly people. Dress to suit the conditions and you'll not have any problems.

Rod
  • I was in Italy as recently as late September 2014. While it is true you see people wearing shorts, those people are generally tourists and that is the quickest way to identify yourself as such. Most Italians do NOT wear shorts in the cities (at resorts and beaches it is a different story). Most women on my tour wore capri type pants and those were appropriate and attractive; loose skirts covering the knees were the next most popular. Most pants were not denim but linen or cotton that is more comfortable in the heat and more quickly laundered and dried. Sorry, OzJohnno, but I saw people turned away from St. Peters and St. Marks because their clothes were inappropriate (knees and shoulders not covered). While you might slip past a guard, or certain churches might be more lenient, there is no sense going all that way and then being refused entrance to a site so important because you needed ten more inches of cloth somewhere on your body. Our guide was clear on our materials about which days required more modest clothing for church visits.
  • edited January 2015
    smarks50 wrote:
    I was in Italy as recently as late September 2014. While it is true you see people wearing shorts, those people are generally tourists and that is the quickest way to identify yourself as such. Most Italians do NOT wear shorts in the cities (at resorts and beaches it is a different story). Most women on my tour wore capri type pants and those were appropriate and attractive; loose skirts covering the knees were the next most popular. Most pants were not denim but linen or cotton that is more comfortable in the heat and more quickly laundered and dried. Sorry, OzJohnno, but I saw people turned away from St. Peters and St. Marks because their clothes were inappropriate (knees and shoulders not covered). While you might slip past a guard, or certain churches might be more lenient, there is no sense going all that way and then being refused entrance to a site so important because you needed ten more inches of cloth somewhere on your body. Our guide was clear on our materials about which days required more modest clothing for church visits.

It obvious to me that things have changed since 2011. I would post the photo of the local (in shorts) with his cat on his shoulder locking up his bike plus lots of others BUT I'm not in the mood for another verbal stoush with the Tauck Traveler fashion police.

Rod
  • I agree with Smarks50. You can wear shorts and many do. But a friend we traveled with was denied entry at St Marks because her shorts were too short. They usually want knees covered. Consider bringing a pashmina to wrap around you as a skirt or around your shoulders if you want to wear tank tops.
  • You can't beat capris as a great compromise. And yes, you really do have to try not to look like a rich American in Rome. It's hard to avoid pickpockets and those who dash and grab your purse, seen it happen and heard sad tales more than once.
  • Shorts were just not the uniform of the day for people who LIVE in Italy, especially men. That is just the way it is. It doesn't mean that no one who lives in Italy wears shorts, but they are noticeably in the minority. I recently look at some of my Italian pictures (I have spent many more than 10 days there) and just don't see many people in shorts....especially men.) The ones I do see in shorts often have cameras hanging around their necks and are probably visitors. I don't think it is a big deal...if you want to wear shorts, wear them. Women might want to make some adjustments suggested for entry in to major cathedrals. Men can wear the zip off pants and keep the lower legs' fabric in their backpacks if wearing shorts is a priority.

There were tourists with shorts on. It isn't like you won't see them. I've been to Italy often (with and without Tauck) and even though I like to wear shorts, I don't do it there. "When in Rome....." You get the picture. It has nothing to do with a Tauck Fashion Police, just ...."Do as the Romans do." No one is going to throw you in jail for wearing shorts.....well, I guess that depends on factors like length and such.

It might effect entry into churches and chapels, but you would take off your shoes to enter a mosque, wouldn't you? I don't think anyone here would squawk about that and make fashion police comments. Women are required to cover their heads in many mosques. If they don't want to then they can choose not go in.

This sounds like a whole lot of discussion about a minor situation.
  • You cannot enter St. Anthony Basilica in Padua wearing shorts. I remember a tourist from the Philippines going berserk on his tour guide because he was wearing shorts and could not enter the cathedral.
  • You're Mine Maxi Dress in Red Paisley from showpo and many other such breezy and flowy dresses can work over there.
  • edited March 2015
    I actually looked up that particular dress. Interesting, but I suspect it would not work for "Bucket Grandma"! Also, a maxi would be tough when one is negotiating a hilly, cobblestone street!
  • You are so right, Joyce! And apart from the good point you make about the suitability of the skirt, I very much doubt the bodice is appropriate for a church visit in Italy or elsewhere ....... But it does look fab on the sweet young thing modelling it for the website. I think it might be too ... Scott McKenzie and "flowers in your hair" for the present situation. Ah, what an earworm that is.
  • joycesw wrote:
    I actually looked up that particular dress. Interesting, but I suspect it would not work for "Bucket Grandma"! Also, a maxi would be tough when one is negotiating a hilly, cobblestone street!
    jdurkin wrote:
    You are so right, Joyce! And apart from the good point you make about the suitability of the skirt, I very much doubt the bodice is appropriate for a church visit in Italy or elsewhere ....... But it does look fab on the sweet young thing modelling it for the website. I think it might be too ... Scott McKenzie and "flowers in your hair" for the present situation. Ah, what an earworm that is.

Me thinks KChecchi and a few other recent participants is a spammer/troll.
  • Ha! Well, Jan, if you're "Goin' to San Francisco..." in that little dress, you are gonna need a lot more than "flowers in your hair!" Think a fleece jacket and leg warmers!! And...talk about earworms...I have just recently gotten Call Me Maybe out of my head, and now a 60's flashback!! Alas, I think Alan has a point.
  • Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of San Francisco, Joyce. I know what's weather appropriate to wear. And because the City is such a stylish place, it makes me happy ... even if it's no longer appropriate to wear flowers in my hair. ;))

I think you're right, Alan! But at least I can wander off humming as I go .....

Cheers,

Jan.
  • While planning the trip we also have to plan what to wear and it depends on the destination. If you are going to India then you have to select clothes carefully as its every state is quite diverse. SO you have to change your attire state to state. It also depends on which season are you going to that particular place.