Best of Ireland: Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge

This is a question/request for Tauck Tours.

Will we get a chance to walk on the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge?

A previous traveler posted that on his trip, the bus made a stop at a viewpoint overlooking the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, and they did not actually walk on the bridge.

We are booked on the Best of Ireland Tour on the August 13th departure and actually walking across the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is certainly a highlight of the trip for us.

Below is the schedule that was posted on one of the forums.

8:30 Departed for Giant's Causeway
9:30 Morning rest stop in the town of Carnlough
10:00 Departed Carnlough
11:00 Stopped at a viewpoint overlooking Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge
11:20 Continued on to Bushmills
11:40 Arrived at Bushmills but drove right through it to view Dunluce Castle ruins on the other side of town before lunch
11:55 Arrived at The Bushmills Inn Restaurant for lunch
13:30 Departed Bushmills
13:45 Arrived at Giant’s Causeway
15:00 Departed Giant’s Causeway
16:45 Arrived back at hotel

If this is the typical schedule, is there a way to modify it to give us time to walk on the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge?

Thank you!

Comments

• I guess there is no harm in asking but clearly that would mean a consensus to leave earlier in the morning so as not to disrupt coffee break and lunch timing. On a tour last year I asked about where a place was and the next thing I knew our Tour director had arranged a stop there, it totally overwhelmed me. Have a great time inIreland and if you get to that ridge please post and let us know what it is like.
  • I asked the same question in an older thread. The response was two-fold- there is not enough time in the schedule and the bridge is too far from and it would be too long of a (steep) walk from the nearest bus parking area. The same goes for nearby Dunluce Castle, a picturesque ruin on a steep promontory which was abandoned by its owner in 1639 when the kitchen wing fell into the sea. It appears, with some CGI help, in the TV series 'Game of Thrones.'
  • We visited the area last summer on ship's shore excursion to Giant's Causeway. We considered two similar tours to Giant's Causeway. One included a walk across the bridge while the other included a stop at a viewpoint for the bridge plus a scenic coastal drive. We opted for the latter and have no regrets. The path to the bridge is steep and not shaded. Some folks would find it strenuous. On a windy day, which is common in the area, the hike would not be pleasant and the rope bridge would sway significantly. I think Tauck made a good choice in including just a stop at the viewpoint. The walk across the bridge is probably better suited to a Tauck Bridges tour.

In doing my research before selecting the excursion, I found lots of photos of the pathway to the bridge and descriptions of the hike to the bridge and across the bridge. As I recall, a walk across the bridge would add about 1.5 hours to the tour. In my opinion the time is better spent elsewhere in this lovely region.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file